• ...and so much more!
  • khickey3492

Marksman
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 6, 2010
    Kokomo
    I recently began reloading for my newly rebarreled (.30-'06) M1 Garand and have a question about primers.

In reloading (7.62 NATO) for my M1A, CCI #34 (NATO) primers are highly recommended. I do not see the same recommendation for the .30-'06 round in the Garand. It seems the potential for slam fires would be a bit lower (heavier bolt, slower..), but what do you think, are the CCI primers a good idea?

Your :twocents: are highly appreciated!
    Thanks,
    Kevin

khickey3492

Marksman
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 6, 2010
    Kokomo
    Nor does mine, but I only have 2 manuals that actually call out the Garand specifically. I agree, it couldn't hurt anything and as the price difference is small, it's probably worth the reduction in slam fire chances..

Thanks,
    Kevin

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 19, 2009
    Central Indiana
    Just did some reading since I'm strongly considering picking up a CMP Garand, and several articles I found suggested CCI 34's. The primer cup is harder than standard LR's, and one article I read even said it was a "magnum" primer - so it will burn hotter. This is certainly not something you could throw right into your component mix and hope for good results. You'll need to develop proper loads.

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    I've normally used LR primers and have never had an issue. but it couldnt hurt anything. like stated above you'd want to rework your load

Aszerigan

Whitetail Trading Co.
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    390   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    Bean Blossom, IN
    I'll go against the grain and recommend standard CCI 200 LR primers. I've not heard of problems with slam-firing on a garand. And LR primers are easier to get too.

Top Bottom