• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jcwit

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2009
    Dead Center on the End
    well i dont know where you get your info from but i called CCI and asked the company if they would work as a substitute and they said NO... so if the factory says NO i aint about to take the work of some internet info, (no offence) i value my fingers and hands too much***,,

Been doing it for years now, simply because I have many many sleeves of 5,000 Small Rifle Primers that I purchased on closeout years ago. I have reloaded thousands of various calibers from .32 ACP to 45 ACP that take small primers with no issues, and I still have all my fingers and no damage to any of my fireams.

I do know I have little to no experience as I have only been reloading for 50+ years.

Manatee

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 18, 2011
    Indiana
    It's best to stick with the reloading manuals in most circumstances. There is always a case to be made that: Yes, you can do XXX, PROVIDED...

Sometimes people don't read the "provided" part. Sometimes responders don't remember to put in the "provided" part.

Even light little cowboy action loads can become mini-grenades in the right circumstances.

If in doubt, stick with the manuals.

Bosshoss

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 11, 2009
    MADISON
    I know, you're missing the point I'm trying to make. I'm saying that unless it's published from a creditable source(internet forums ARE NOT creditable for obvious reasons), than it should not be done. Can be and should be are too different areas. a 357 magnum cartridge CAN physically fit into a 38 special revolver, however it SHOULD NOT be done because it'll the blow the gun up. Just cause something fits in a hole, doesn't mean it's meant too.

First off I have never seen a STOCK .38 special gun that a .357 would fit in(of course now that I've said that some one will prove me wrong:D). But millions of .38's have been fired out of .357 guns. SO just because something fits in a hole, doesn't mean it won't work.;)

CCI or any manufacture will tell you what they make will ONLY work in what it was designed for, it is called liabilty. If you used their rifle primers in a pistol case and screwed up the powder charge(your fault) and gun blew up it would be CCI's fault for telling you it was OK to use their rifle primers in a pistol even if it wasn't why the round blew the gun up.

If you look in the manual that comes with your guns ALL of them that I've seen state that you use factory ammo ONLY, reloads void the warrenty.
    Call the makers of your gun and ask about reloads I bet they say factory ammo only no reload are recommened.
    Any of the manufactures of reloading components will say same thing use only as recommened.
    You are saying that if it is not published from a creditable source, than it should not be done. Yet you are shooting reloads from your handgun when it is more than likely published in your owners manual that you should not?

FYI 99% of the ammo I shoot is reloaded.

I've used SR primers in USPSA major loads for years, also in .40 and .357.
    If their was a differance in performance it was within the differance of my chrono and powder measure. No readable differance in other words.

Badly Bent

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 17, 2013
    well i was TRYING to help out a new person from buying something they couldnt use ACCORDING to the factory that makes the primers,

but instead i get a bunch of smart ass comments about me not knowing what im talking about....

OK so you CAN use LR primers for SR primers

you CAN drive 100 mph too.. should you???
    you CAN use dynamite to fish too...should you???
    you CAN shoot a bullet straight up in the air too...should you????

im done here, i come here to learn and brush up on things, and i see Lots of posts with smart ass answers to them. if you feel the need to be a smart ass why bother to comment at all???

good luck to the rest of the new people trying to learn.....

Manatee

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 18, 2011
    Indiana
    Don't take it too harshly, BB. These are the same guys who whine when the gun store employee doesn't pay enough attention to them.

Having seen a few guns dissemble themselves at high speed because of excess pressure, poor reloading discipline and a host of other (sometimes small) causes, the first judgement that needs to be made in safety is: what happens if it goes wrong because I do XXX?

Shooters don't normally publish the catastrophic failures that occur in competition....not good for the sport, don'tchaknow?

Use the manual. Don't take casual internet advice on reloading from someone you don't know and isn't representing the manufacturer.

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    well i was TRYING to help out a new person from buying something they couldnt use ACCORDING to the factory that makes the primers,

but instead i get a bunch of smart ass comments about me not knowing what im talking about....

im done here, i come here to learn and brush up on things, and i see Lots of posts with smart ass answers to them. if you feel the need to be a smart ass why bother to comment at all???

Most people just shared their experiences and knowledge, which happened to be contrary to the opinion you had already formed. I think new folks have a decent opportunity to learn from this thread. Just about everyone said that if you are new to reloading or aren't comfortable with reading pressure warning signs or aren't using a chrono you should stick to book loads. I even listed some potential problems to look out for if using SR in place of SP... potential because I've only seen/heard anecdotal evidence.

Some people stop pumping gas into their car as soon as the pump first shuts off on its own per the safety instructions. Some people squeeze in an extra gallon of gas. I'd say that's a better analogy to the level of risk of replacing SP primers w/ SR primers in a pistol load vs your analogy of shooting into the air... :rolleyes:

As I said before though, only you can take responsibility for your reloads so you have to do what you are comfortable with.

You seem "Badly Bent" out of shape about the direction the thread took... :laugh:

-rvb

Last edited:

Litlratt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 17, 2009
    Terre Haute

No, you cannot use LR primers for SR primers.

giovani

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 8, 2012
    Read an artical on 22 hornet where they were trying different loads with both rifle and pistol primers and the loads with pistol primers were more accurate than the exact same loads with rifle primers.

sbcman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    Southwest Indiana
    I'd use SRP in a SP case if needed no worries.

I have a question- and a much needed :hijack:- I've heard that you can't use Large Rifle Primers in Large Pistol cases because the LRP cups are a bit too long.

True or False???:dunno:

I don't load rifle so I have no clue. If it did work though, it might be an alternative if LPPs run out on me.

jcwit

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2009
    Dead Center on the End
    I'd use SRP in a SP case if needed no worries.

I have a question- and a much needed :hijack:- I've heard that you can't use Large Rifle Primers in Large Pistol cases because the LRP cups are a bit too long.

True or False???:dunno:

I don't load rifle so I have no clue. If it did work though, it might be an alternative if LPPs run out on me.

True. The primer will not seat a couple of thousands below flush thereby possibly allowing a slamfire.

warthog

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Vigo County
    Read an artical on 22 hornet where they were trying different loads with both rifle and pistol primers and the loads with pistol primers were more accurate than the exact same loads with rifle primers.

I shoot .22 hornet and some of the loads I use call for SPP's and most of my other ones call for SRP's. There are even differences in how different types of primers within the basic groups, Large & Small Pistol and Large & Small Rifle, that make a difference in how a load performs at longer than 100 yard distances.

I haven't the proper experience or skill to comment of how things work closer up since I don't notice a lot of difference up close.
    Ask Litlratt, I'm no sharp shooter at short range. :( Good enough to feel right about carrying but not as good as many others.

Mycroft

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Indianapolis area
    If we follow manufacturer's recommendations, new reloaders should only use single stage presses because progressive presses are too complicated.
    And as pointed out, we wouldn't shoot reloaded ammunition at all.

Top Bottom