• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jbrooks19

Expert
    Rating - 96.9%
    30   1   1
    Nov 15, 2011
    Kokomo
    Can i use small pistol primers loading .223 for a savage Bolt action? I am not loading very hot rounds. Just curious as small rifle primers are so hard to find and i have tons of small pistol. :D

Khazik

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 29, 2012
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Hillside Shooting Sports in Roanoke has lots of... everything except small pistol.... we been needed small pistol primers :xmad:

*edit* if anything, use small rifle magnum primers with a slow burning powder and reduced charge (around starting charge). We dont have any small pistol primers so we're using small pistol magnum primers with some Power Pistol powder for our 40 s&w loads. We had to get another can of powder because theres no way I'm using SPM primers with the 700x powder we have... even with reduced charge.

edit2* I've also heard of a phenomenon thats like a "double detonation". It ignites the powder to just push the bullet out of the chamber while slinging the rest of the powder around, causing a delayed detonation of the rest of the powder, resulting in a Kaboom, from using under-powered primers.

Last edited:

jbrooks19

Expert
    Rating - 96.9%
    30   1   1
    Nov 15, 2011
    Kokomo
    Do an experiment and tell your family to post the results of what happened. If it isn't in a reloading manual as an option it probably is not an option.

:xmad: I asked because i was unsure. NOT because i was going to try it.

Why is it people cant just answer with a "Yes" or "no" Billybob is the only person who has been helpful. From his advice and more research on my part i have found that it is NOT a good idea to use SPP in the place of SRP. I have always lived by the principle "There is no such thing as a stupid question" it is better to ask when unsure then to try it and regret it. IMHO.

Litlratt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 17, 2009
    Terre Haute
    SP in lieu of SR is not a good idea as the cups are not designed for the pressures generated in rifle cartridges.
    You may or may not have issues with igniting the powder you are using but pierced primers will eventually damage the firing pin and the firing pin hole in the bolt face.

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    392   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    Come on Brooksie-be nice..

:xmad: I asked because i was unsure. NOT because i was going to try it.

Why is it people cant just answer with a "Yes" or "no" Billybob is the only person who has been helpful. From his advice and more research on my part i have found that it is NOT a good idea to use SPP in the place of SRP. I have always lived by the principle "There is no such thing as a stupid question" it is better to ask when unsure then to try it and regret it. IMHO.

It's all in fun..Lighten up some Brooksie ..It's ALL good...Bill

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    392   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    True to a point---BUT---

Do an experiment and tell your family to post the results of what happened. If it isn't in a reloading manual as an option it probably is not an option.

With this thinking we would NOT have a few loads:

.357 Mag.
    .44 Mag.
    .40 S&W

This is JUST a few that came about by trying something "Different".

YES-we MUST be SAFE, and YES-we need to ASK questions in regard to trying something DIFFERENT...Bill

jbrooks19

Expert
    Rating - 96.9%
    30   1   1
    Nov 15, 2011
    Kokomo
    It's all in fun..Lighten up some Brooksie ..It's ALL good...Bill

HOW DARE YOU!!!!!! No I'm just kidding, sometimes I have no patience for smarta$$ remarks lol. Especially when I have a serious question. I think us fellow reloaders should be more apt to helping rather than smarting off or criticizing when someone asks a question, agree?

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    392   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    Well-Yes-But....

HOW DARE YOU!!!!!! No I'm just kidding, sometimes I have no patience for smarta$$ remarks lol. Especially when I have a serious question. I think us fellow reloaders should be more apt to helping rather than smarting off or criticizing when someone asks a question, agree?

Some have a short patience level for what they see as DA questions. Some just have make a "Point"-(Internet COWBOYS). And SOME are just AssHats...Bill.

Top Bottom