• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bod

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 22, 2010
    Bluffton
    I have several thousand brass that I have primed off the press both in rifle and pistol calibers. I now got a case feeder installed and was wondering if I can run these cases through or if it will set off the primers or something crazy.

bod

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 22, 2010
    Bluffton
    Here's my situation. I should have explained this better in my initial post. I have always primed my brass as part of my case prep. Once I stepped up to my LNL-AP press I found it was still faster and to prime my rifle brass off the press during my case prep. Plus it is one less step that I had to remember while loading. Pistol brass wasn't as big of a deal since there is less prep. Well now I have quite a bit of brass that is primed and ready to go. I primed all my pistol brass as well because I ran low on supplies but still wanted to do something with reloading. Now I have a automatic case feeder and I wanted to make sure I wasn't going to set a primer off or anything by running them through.

Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Mishawaka
    I just done some extensive searchs on the net and found that it seems common for a lot of people to run primed brass through a feeder with no problems. While I've never done this I would say go ahead but only at your own risk and not mine.

Just do a google search - primed brass case feeder - and you'll read some of the same articles.

trophyhunter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 2, 2008
    South Bend
    I just done some extensive searchs on the net and found that it seems common for a lot of people to run primed brass through a feeder with no problems. While I've never done this I would say go ahead but only at your own risk and not mine.

Just do a google search - primed brass case feeder - and you'll read some of the same articles.

I agree, I run the LNL with a case feeder and use primed rifle brass as I like to hand prime it to get a "feel" for any soft primer pockets. It's not the case feeders that worry me, it's primer feed tubes that I pay close attention to.

I made a long thin follower out of stainless stock with a red flag on top that follows the primer level down, it lets you see there's only a few left in the brass supply tube as it bottoms the flag out on top of the large round outer tube wall before it runs empty.

midget

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 2, 2010
    Leo
    I agree, I run the LNL with a case feeder and use primed rifle brass as I like to hand prime it to get a "feel" for any soft primer pockets. It's not the case feeders that worry me, it's primer feed tubes that I pay close attention to.

I made a long thin follower out of stainless stock with a red flag on top that follows the primer level down, it lets you see there's only a few left in the brass supply tube as it bottoms the flag out on top of the large round outer tube wall before it runs empty.

I actually have a long thin dowel on mine with a tape flag that signals when it is empty. Though after using mine enough, I can definitely tell when the primer system is empty by feel...

As far as the initial question, yes you can do it, and no it will not cause a problem. Just make sure you don't have a sizing die in station 1 ;)

bod

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 22, 2010
    Bluffton
    Thanks for the help. I ran a batch through today and it worked awesome. My first case I put through did get run through the sizing die again so I had to smack my forehead and reprime it.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Michael.
    Top Bottom