• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Excalibur

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   2   0
    May 11, 2012
    NWI
    This is something I've noticed recently and it is different from person to person.

When I load up my carry gun, or my shotgun or any gun for that matter, I always do a brass check and sometimes I do a press check on my gun.

Some people never do that, some do.

Does anyone do that or if they don't. Explain why.

Cannon762

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Gas City Area
    I do even on my M&P, and it even has a little window so you can literally *see* the bullet casing in there. Better safe than sorry.

And on a related note, whenever I unload, I have to feel inside the barrel to make sure no bullet is there. Even if I can clearly see the chamber is empty, it's like I feel wrong if I don't feel it. Kind of like the sensation when you hear all but one note in a scale, you don't feel right until you hear that last note. Could have worse habits though, right?

DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon
    I do and learned it the same way from the Magpul handgun video. Great series for those that haven't seen it; I have it playing in the background when I am cleaning my gun or getting set up to reload. Always something new to learn even after multiple viewings.

I shoot IDPA and while SOing have seen several shooters that could have benifited from incorporating a press check in their 'load and make ready' time before each course of fire. Nothing like a 'click' when there should have been a 'bang' and a tap-rack-bang adds time to your score...plus like they stress, it is good to do so you have that extra confirmation in your gun being hot. The M&P, while it does have the peep hole, has a terrible loaded chamber indicator so a regular press check is a fantastic habit to get into no matter the gun.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    Good to have habits that cross different guns, and not depend on some feature on one, then be lost for even a moment when it's not available on another.

Zimm1001

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 10, 2009
    In our defensive handgun courses Norm Hood our Chief Instructor teaches both the visual press check and the touch (no look) press check. Norm suggests making this a routine everyday before leaving your home or anytime the gun has been out of your sight. He makes a good point when he says "even though you KNOW your gun is loaded.. are you willing to bet your life on it?" Press checks and "make ready for live fire drills" take only seconds, are great practice and great ways to insure you are fully loaded and ready to go.

Titanium_Frost

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Southwestern Indiana
    Any time a weapon I own is out of my sight I open the action if I believe it should be unloaded or brass check it if I think it should be loaded. Eveytime.

Only been surprised twice, but that is more than enough reminders to always check, then recheck and the four rules are ALWAYS on!

mrortega

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    Just west of Evansville
    If a gun is in my safe without a mag it "should" be empty. I ALWAYS rack and lock the slide back, look in the chamber then down the mag well before carefully letting the slide gently close. Each time I put my shoes on at the outside door I pull my carry piece, drop the mag, carefully turn the pistol over and look up the mag well to check if I can see the shiny rim of my ammo. I don't trust the little protrusion of the extractor to tell me.

donballz

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 28, 2012
    Fishers, IN
    My handguns are pretty much always loaded. I do a brass check before holstering everytime.

I don't understand though, what's the press check? To make sure the slide is fully into battery? My ruger has problems with that, I usually have to cycle the safety to get it locked. I need to take it to a gunsmith.

Titanium_Frost

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Southwestern Indiana
    My handguns are pretty much always loaded. I do a brass check before holstering everytime.

I don't understand though, what's the press check? To make sure the slide is fully into battery? My ruger has problems with that, I usually have to cycle the safety to get it locked. I need to take it to a gunsmith.

A "press check" is usually reserved for handguns without a full length guide rod that would protrude from the slide when it is retracted. Think of a full size 1911.

You place your finger just under the barrel on the front of the slide and "press" it to push the slide back a little to "check" for a loaded round.

wsenefeld

Master
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Boone Co.
    It's becoming routine now that my son (2 years old) is getting older and able to go out and run errands with me. Before we walk out the door, I do a visual check. Never stuck my finger in the barrel and don't see a point. I clean my firearm after every range trip so no possibility of a bullet being stuck in there between trips.

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    I pull the slide back and check for brass, but NEVER from using front serrations or putting my fingers anywhere NEAR the muzzle. That's bad mojo, imo.

Titanium_Frost

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Southwestern Indiana
    I pull the slide back and check for brass, but NEVER from using front serrations or putting my fingers anywhere NEAR the muzzle. That's bad mojo, imo.

I agree. I typically do a wrap around from the back strap across the top of the slide and squeeze it one handed. Works perfect and my finger is no where near the trigger or the muzzle.

DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon
    It's becoming routine now that my son (2 years old) is getting older and able to go out and run errands with me. Before we walk out the door, I do a visual check. Never stuck my finger in the barrel and don't see a point. I clean my firearm after every range trip so no possibility of a bullet being stuck in there between trips.

Everything is done from the breach end, not the business end of the pistol. The 'finger in the breach' method is the way to insure that the gun does or doesn't have a round in the chamber when you cannot visually verify that it does; in the dark most likely. The press check is just a quick pushing back of the slide, probably 1/4-1/2" to expose either brass or no brass letting you know that the gun is verified empty or hot. I press check every morning, even though I don't unload...heck, I press check after each loading during IDPA just to verify it's loaded. Way too easy to improperly seat a magazine and rack the slide and not have it actually chamber a round. Just a nice added step to insure your gun is in the condition you expect it to be in when you need it.

Titanium_Frost

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Southwestern Indiana
    You must have decent grip strength and fairly long fingers.

SU1HMDAyNzUtMjAxMjA3MTAtMDkwNS5qcGc.jpg

SU1HMDAyNzYtMjAxMjA3MTAtMDkwNS5qcGc.jpg

Top Bottom