• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Joe G

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2013
    SE Indiana
    The goal with Narcan isn't awakeness, it's breathing. The nasal Narcan comes on slowly and doesn't usually give the violent wake ups that slamming IV can do.

gotta love the jail ODs.

Testimony was that he was breathing, but it was shallow so they were assisting with O2 via a "squeeze bag" (sorry for the improper terminology). The testimony was also that nasal and IV dosing was no different to the patient, especially since the charge was Attempted Battery on an EMT (multiple times during the final 16 minutes to the hospital). They gave the first dose (2mg total - one EMT gave 1mg then the other EMT gave the other 1mg because they were being trained to administer it), then 10 min later gave the second dose via IV.

OD in the jail was because someone coming back after his daily "work release" had snuck the heroin in and had actually sold/traded it to multiple people that night. Only the winner on trial had OD'd when he snorted it.

freekforge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    marion
    I always thought if you want to pay for it you should be able to get it no matter who you are. I was pretty cold hearted when it came to addicts for a long time then i met an addict that i became "friends" with (a lot of folks call her my project) and it changed the way i think about people with addictions. I worked with her to get clean after she was arrested a few times. she remained clean for several months but she misunderstood the nature of the relationship (basically me helping her get a job and get to and from work and the Dr. i was not leading her on) and when i told her i was with someone else she relapsed. Narcan saved her life and changed me personally. I was a jerk before and now i may be a bit naive but this stuff is amazing its a "why not" kinda thing nothing bad will happen if used but great things can happen.

Last edited:

freekforge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    marion
    Also a bit off topic but now that you can get it otc do you have to do anything besides ask the pharmacist? like a a quick little lesson or a bit of training or do you just give them money and leave?

warthog

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Vigo County
    Well, opiods allow me to walk and to sometimes feel normal and without as much pain. The current DEA involvement in this area has caused me no end of trouble. I not only have to show ID but they take my picture each and every time I pick up my meds. It makes me feel like a criminal. Do I understand why this is happening? I do but I feel those who abuse, steal other's meds and prescribe excessive meds are the trouble. So they should be given whatever it takes to make the sensation as unpleasant as it can be. The person, who is in pain, should be left alone, even if they give their meds to others now and then. I think they are most likely being pressured to do so by a loved one who doesn't deserve their love. After all, they are diverting the medicine these people are needing to make their lives less terrible.

ANYONE, who has seen me at the INGO shoots can tell you, I can barely walk because of the pain in my back. They have tried nerve blocks and all sorts of things to try and make the pain go away without opiods. It hasn't worked. Further, I contacted the BATFE when this happened to me. I wanted to know if I should give up my weapons, stop buying firearms and find something else to do. I had been a gunner my whole life up to then, gun smith, building firearms and reloading ammunition, competing in Skeet and Cowboy Shooting (had to stop both though as I can't do thiem as well with a bad back) and all around shooting enthusiast. They sent me a letter telling me I was fine since I was under a doctors care and could continue doing what I like best, shooting.

I HATE THE FOLKS WHO GET HOOKED (like after surgery) then get a doctor to keep giving them the drugs. As person who has had many surgeries, it is hard to withdraw from them but I did it and did it as many times as I have had surgery until I was finally left with my situation and in pain, day in, day out, all year, everyday.

This country has decided that folks like me should get off of these "dangerous" drugs and deal with it. I suggest they get something life long painful then tell me to do this as I bet they wouldn't say it then.

ANYTHING, anything that would discourage those who don't need these meds to not use them is fine by me. Not only should they be given these drugs once but for as long as it takes them to stop trying to steal, buy or divert opiods to themselves. This is near and dear to me and if anything can be done to get folks to quit, it should be done.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    Most narcotic overdoses we keep for a few hours and discharge. The article makes it sound like "if only the hospital had kept
    him longer we could have gotten charges and arrested him to keep him safe in jail". Officers rarely arrest my patients while in the ED. They usually tell us to let them go and they'll put out a warrant later. Or they tell us to call them at discharge and they'll arrest the person. Just easier than stationing an officer at the hospital for drug/alcohol offenses. For serious crimes they will stay with the person.

People on suboxone just don't take it on days they went to shoot heroin. They know they need to be off it 24h to get high. It's an active choice on their part. Here's to freedom and responsibility.

This guys life was saved once by police that day, but the power of drugs seems stronger than he could fight.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom