• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dhnorris

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2009
    hidden in a wall of mud
    Here's what's wrong with this whole premise of spending and job creation. Virtually all manufactured items, are made outside the U.S.. Japanese cars are selling and many are made in the U.S.. Not typical purchases by the unemployed. Result is, our money spent creates jobs somewhere else! It's not like the old days when everything worth having was manufactured here.

Actually the greatest Manufacturing country in the world is the USA. TRY NOT TO LISTEN TO THE ANTI US

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 5, 2011
    Actually the greatest Manufacturing country in the world is the USA. TRY NOT TO LISTEN TO THE ANTI US

Links, data? I've not seen much produced by the greatest manufacturing country in the world, lately. Lots from China, Pakistan, Taiwan, even India. Not much from the U.S. of A.

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 7, 2011
    Jeffersonville

Truth... I am unsure however how much of our GDP can be attributed to "service related" industries... which to my knowledge is considered in a country's overall GDP... but I believe even taking that into account we still manufacture more than our closest competitors - Japan and China...

http://www.google.com/publicdata/ex...A:CHN:JPN&ifdim=country&tdim=true&hl=en&dl=en

For now...

Last edited:

Stschil

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2010
    At the edge of sanit
    The democrats read the "Space For Rent" sign between obama's ears and took him up on the offer, thats all. There is no viable connection between the telepromter and his brain. It's a direct line from screen to eyes to mouth.

I love the statement, put construction workers back on the job now!
    Why, exactly? The housing market is awash with vacant homes that people can't afford already, is it now policy to create a new housing bubble just to be able to point to a dropping unemployment rate?

nawainwright

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 23, 2009
    New Hampshire
    I can honestly say, that even if I were "in need", I would never succumb to using the Government for anything. I would not file for unemployment, I would not use "foodstamps", etc...

I don't care if that makes me seem "too proud", because yeah, I'm a proud person with self-respect. It's no one else's job to take care of me.

Good thing I'm not in need, and show no signs of heading that direction.

I've been unemployed twice since 2005. The first time was for 8 months, the second time was a little more complicated. I went 9 months without a job and then took a MUCH lower paying job for nearly a year (seriously 50% of my previous income) and then was again unemployed for 9 months. Would collecting unemployment have allowed me to keep my motorcycle? Yes. Would it have meant that I didn't need to move in with my parents for that first break? Yes. Would my wife have liked the extra money to pay bills? No question.

But each time, we cut back and lived on one salary, kept our expenses low and "fixed things" when I picked up new employment. People can do it, it just depends whether they have the stones to make cuts in their personal expenses. Some people would go under without the money, I don't begrudge them taking it. Others take it because they don't want to live inside their means. I had a friend who lost his job; no kids, wife worked, only real expense was a new house. He took unemployment so that he could keep buying video games and landscape his new property.

Johnson

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 19, 2009
    Indiana
    Links, data? I've not seen much produced by the greatest manufacturing country in the world, lately. Lots from China, Pakistan, Taiwan, even India. Not much from the U.S. of A.

Actually, we are still the greatest producer of goods in the world today. We are just ahead of our Asian friends, but the gap is closing. It is the trend that people lament. We need to reverse the decline in manufacturing or we will lose the title of greatest manufacturer in the world, and with it the prosperity that we currently enjoy. :twocents:

Pocketman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 11, 2010

You may be correct. I'll have to do some research. My comment is based upon the absence of Made in USA labels I see in stores and my own home.

Boiled Owl

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 29, 2010
    Newton Co. !
    Is it wrong to think that after a certain point, people should be doing something to continue to receive? Like a WPA program or something organized locally?

I've been self-employed except for a 6 week stint in a machine shop, for the last 30 years. I don't pay unemployment nor expect to draw it.

In my experience over the last few years of trying to hire help on the farm, if your unemployed (chronically) I won't even look at you. The guys around here who have a good work ethic and attitude (union) seem to always be the first hired. The difficult ones don't. I'm working on reconstructing a barn right now. I know an unemployed guy who used to run his own roofing co. but went into IT work. When I can get him to the farm, he's good help. But why leave the house, swimming pool and AC and work in this heat and humidity when Uncle Sam keeps sending checks? Shows up at 11am and quits at 5? I'm there 12 hours. Typical day: Gotta take a break, O god is it hot! No *****! Get out of bed and start at a decent hour!

Don't forget private industries have to compete with Uncle to hire people. Uncle pays X to stay home and do nothing. I have to top that "wage". + Whatever you do, DON'T send me a 1099!!

I tell my kids: All you need to do is work. Do jobs others won't. Get out of bed. Work 55-60 hours and you'll be light years ahead of the competition. Find something you can do on your own and can work around a family and teach your kids the same. Also, vote with your feet. If the political or job situation here sux, MOVE! We as American can still do that.

A plumber friend (union) came over to put a faucet in our kitchen last summer, I asked him where his 12 yo son was. At home in bed. WTF? "I want my son to have a better life than me". REALLY? How about you teach him your trade, then send him to college? Maybe he'll be a lawyer, but he won't be waiting on a lowly plumber to fix his toilet! WE ARE FAILING AS A COUNTRY, because we don't teach a work ethic anymore.

Rant over!

Taylorz71

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 21, 2011
    Central IN

I agree that we once were and still have the ability; however, way to many of our goods are made over seas. I know that we live in a global economy, but if we are to get this back we need the government to get out of the way and we need to become more self reliant as a nation....

The notion of extending unemployment seems like a bad dream except I am not waking up.

Lead Head

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 25, 2011
    Northeast Indiana
    Here's my :twocents::twocents::twocents::twocents::twocents::twocents:

The goobermint needs to get out of the way. They can't create private sector jobs but they sure can create plenty of useless public sector jobs, half of which could be eliminated and no one would know the difference.

Here's a link to a boring read on stats but when armed with info, we have something to stand on.

http://www.slge.org/vertical/Sites/...ds/{B4579F88-660D-49DD-8D52-F6928BD43C46}.PDF

The bottom line is this: The Federal Goobermint is a massive National and Global Corporation competing against private US companies and many global industries (and foreign govts.) unless they are in bed with each other like General Electric, Haliburton, China, etc.

GE : imagination at work

Oilfield Services | Halliburton - Solving Challenges. - Halliburton

This "National Federal Corporation of America" (NFCA) otherwise known as the US Goobermint is subsidized by struggling small business, a few large corporations (what few are left) and of course us, the "productive" tax payers.

That's you and me Beave ! We go to work and then give half to them.

Keeping people on "the dole" as they say is one method of enslavement. We are paying for the dole. As a short-term solution, it makes sense. As a long-term solution, it will eat this country from the inside out.

Dole - Definition and More from the Free Merriam-Webster Dictionary

When enslaved, you are as close to being powerless as it comes. Until they manage a total takeover (which is getting closer) they still need us lowly tax payers known as the "working class" to stay blind until the point of no return can no longer be seen.

As long as there is one of us left, there is a chance. Sorting out who is they and who is us is getting harder by the day.

Remember that old saying: "Keep your friends close and your enemies closer" ?

Ignorance is bliss.....until you wake up. Then it's a real ***** !

John Galt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 18, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    As a small business owner, my unemployment rates TRIPLED this year to pay off our states unemployment debt to the feds. If my business goes under, I'm done and I don't get any unemployment (wouldn't want it, I'll sell things, cut back and wait tables as I've done before). The kick in the nuts are the people out there that I try to hire for some part-time work who won't work because it cuts into their (?) "benefits". How do you compete with Uncle Sam (who is using your money to comepete with you - Who is John Galt?). And to those of you that say this is a portion of the employees wages, why am I paying it as the employer? Privatize it, like Aflac, and then let it be truly up to the employee, or make it a loan. This is nothing more than another tax that comes out of my pocket, which makes it more difficult to hire people. AT THE VERY LEAST, anyone collecting unemployment should have to submit to a drug, alcohol, and tobacco test (if you can afford these, you don't need my money) and have to sweep streets and pick up trash for at least 30 hours a week.
    Rant over.

Last edited:
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 5, 2011
    Here's my :twocents::twocents::twocents::twocents::twocents::twocents:

The goobermint needs to get out of the way. They can't create private sector jobs but they sure can create plenty of useless public sector jobs, half of which could be eliminated and no one would know the difference.

Here's a link to a boring read on stats but when armed with info, we have something to stand on.

http://www.slge.org/vertical/Sites/...ds/{B4579F88-660D-49DD-8D52-F6928BD43C46}.PDF

The bottom line is this: The Federal Goobermint is a massive National and Global Corporation competing against private US companies and many global industries (and foreign govts.) unless they are in bed with each other like General Electric, Haliburton, China, etc.

GE : imagination at work

Oilfield Services | Halliburton - Solving Challenges. - Halliburton

This "National Federal Corporation of America" (NFCA) otherwise known as the US Goobermint is subsidized by struggling small business, a few large corporations (what few are left) and of course us, the "productive" tax payers.

That's you and me Beave ! We go to work and then give half to them.

Keeping people on "the dole" as they say is one method of enslavement. We are paying for the dole. As a short-term solution, it makes sense. As a long-term solution, it will eat this country from the inside out.

Dole - Definition and More from the Free Merriam-Webster Dictionary

When enslaved, you are as close to being powerless as it comes. Until they manage a total takeover (which is getting closer) they still need us lowly tax payers known as the "working class" to stay blind until the point of no return can no longer be seen.

As long as there is one of us left, there is a chance. Sorting out who is they and who is us is getting harder by the day.

Remember that old saying: "Keep your friends close and your enemies closer" ?

Ignorance is bliss.....until you wake up. Then it's a real ***** !

You need to give us 75% of those :twocents: you put up there. Unemployment benefits, you know.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    Lately I can't help thinking - Does he actually HEAR what he is saying?

It goes straight from the TOTUS out his lips with no filter.

How czn you tell if he is lying?

If you said when his lips are moving, I'm sorry, you are wrong.

He is lying when he is stuttering. That is his normal mannerism.

When he is not stuttering, he is reading from TOTUS and those are not his words or his thoughts, so can they really be considered lies?

Quote stschl
    The democrats read the "Space For Rent" sign between obama's ears and took him up on the offer, thats all. There is no viable connection between the telepromter and his brain. It's a direct line from screen to eyes to mouth.
    FIFY You had this in purple.

Last edited:

The Bubba Effect

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 13, 2010
    High Rockies
    Sure, let me just reach back and drag out my wallet so I can pay for all this....wait a minute, that's not my wallet: BANG BANG BANG BANG BANG BANG BANG.

That was seven snap pops left over from the fourth of july.

I must have left my wallet in my other pants. I'll just pay for this when the government steals my other money in April and every payday and every time I buy something at a retailer and on May 10 and November 10. I'm about ready to take my toys and stay home.

Top Bottom