• ...and so much more!
  • bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I could probably purchase a cane down there.
    Yer call, but anywhere I go completely unarmed, one of these goes with me:
    65230870280.jpg
    Buy Nova Designer Cane Leopard Print online at CVS.com
    Mines not leopard print though.:(:)

It goes on the plane, in court and gets handed around the metal detectors. It doesn't take much time to learn some neat tricks with this innocent walking aid. Hawk-like in design, with a hammer head and hook, the heavy rubber foot also has blunt force possibility.

For $20 at any CVS, it would be easy to replace if it was necesary to leave it somewhere.

Woodsman

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    New albany
    There's a point to the canes (or crutches, if that's what you're stuck with). I have an older friend (ex-UDT) that was on crutches riding the trains in Chicago. A group of punks decided to have some fun with the old, hobbled guy.:rolleyes:

It didn't end well for them.:D

Two went to the hospital and one went to jail. Something about cracked sternum's and ribs and a whole lot of bruises.

Just sayin'... There's more than one way to use ordinary items as weapons if the poo happens to find your fan.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    The resort areas are the SAFE places in Mexico; with very very very few exceptions (I think there's been 1-2 "incidents" in Cancun over the last 5 years or so?)

You'll be A-OK on the resorts.

All inclusive property, I take it? Take a bunch of $1 bills. All that jive about "no tipping" is crap talk. Want better service? Tip the bartenders and housekeepers.

-J-

irishhunter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 13, 2010
    Mooresville
    you can walk into almost any shop in mexico and buy a switch blade , thats usually what I do as soon as I get there , just toss it before you come back ...

E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East
    you can walk into almost any shop in mexico and buy a switch blade , thats usually what I do as soon as I get there , just toss it before you come back ...

I dont recommend breaking the law, especially in foreign countries like mexico. you dont want to get arrested there.
    If you want a weapon, I would go with the cane. but you will also be making yourself a target in my opinion. I would just use your common sense, situational awareness , and 6th sense.

elpenguin0717

Marksman
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Jan 31, 2011
    indy
    i have been to several southern american countrys youll be fine just dont go anywhere off the resort at night! unless your asking to get car jacked/robbed/raped etc...... its not the u.s. people down there could care less for a healthy wealthy american theyll make you disappear

longbow

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    south central IN
    Don't go! My parents went last year and had several close call even in the resort area. I'm not even talking about the food and wate issues they both had.

Cleveland is safer!

wrigleycub

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 29, 2010
    West side of Indy
    My friend your in for a great time. Don't be up tight and worried in Cabo. Cabo is probably one of the safest, nicest towns period, regardless of being in Mexico. Do use precautions with the water, eventhough it's the only city in Mexico with a true water treatment facility it's still foreign to your body. Drink beer, bottled water (even to brush your chicklets). Relax, get friendly with consiearge and tip him well, and he will take care of you. You can walk everywhere, save the money don't do cabs, town is only about a mile in all directions. Look out for celebs andtake lots of cash, do small exchanges every morning so u don't lose money on the fluctuating rate.

My wife and I are going to Mexico for a vacation in several weeks. I've already checked travel warnings, and a few travel websites. The area we are going, Cabo san Lucas, isn't experiencing the high level of violence that the border areas are. We're also staying at an exclusive resort. Still going to be careful where we go.

BTW my wife's company is paying for the trip, there's NO WAY IN HELL I'd have picked Mexico as a vacation spot.

So, my thinking is to take some of my preps, spread through the bags we are checking in and carrying on. Mostly thinking food (MRE's and power bars,) water filtration, multi-tool, dust masks, and first aid. The list is obviously limited, based on what we can put in a checked in bag.

We'll have my pepper spray in the checked-in bag. I'll be carrying that everywhere once we get down there. I'll be carrying a nice metal pen on the plane, not a tactical pen though, a fisher space pen.

I've got a travel book of the area on order. I'll be sure to write down important numbers/locations, like the embassy, and E5RANGER (in case someone's got to come rescue us ;) )

Sound like a good plan? Any suggestions on what else I could bring.

wrigleycub

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 29, 2010
    West side of Indy
    Just to address the whole "stay on the resort" vacationer concept. The whole city of Cabo San Lucas is a resort. Cabo while south of the border is far from being anything Mexican. It's a massive resort for American celebs and elite. The pumpinheads that run that town will assume your an American elite with lots of cash, thus you will be treated like gold. As far as police, federale's wit AK's, not really the types that are going to shake you down for 500 pesos you may be carrying. Usually a large amercan navy presence also.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    I spent several days in Cancun a year ago. I used the hotel WI-FI to check my email and I also logged onto INGO once. The next day, hotel security searched my room looking for firearms because of the firearms websites I visited.

Armed men were seen on the rooftops during our stay there.

I won't go back mainly because of TSA screening procedures for guys like me with artificial knees.

Tactical Dave

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    Plainfield
    From what I have seen on the news at leat around baja race time they get people in nice trucks and or truck pulling trailors. The cops pull you over then they drag you off the road and often shoot you then take your rig...... this all is at night. Happend to one group but they did not get killed but there were alone, said it is why people travel in packs down there. They were trying to make it to a hotel and the hotel sold their room after they called a few hours before to confirm (hmmm) so they tried to make it back to the border.......

I personally would only go down there to a resort and would stay there untill it was time to go home.... and I would fly........ but like said before. situational awarness......... if something does not look or feel right then guess what.

In some contries if you get arrested your wife or lady friend has to pay the cash to get you our or pay in "other" way's............ so yeah don't be stupid.

thenewguy199

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2011
    You should to be careful anywhere you go even to the grocery store at home. Don't look like a target and be aware of what is going on around you. Don't wander around too much at night and you should be fine. I have been to mexico a few times and never had any problems, but it doesn't mean I was relaxed while I was there. Keep your eyes open and people will see that you are more aware of what is going on around you.

latham17

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 3, 2010
    indy
    my wife and i just went to Cabo in early Nov. stayed at the RUI Palace. biggest advice is DONT GET SCAMMED AT THE AIRPORT MAKE SURE YOU LOOK FOR THE SPECIFIC COMPANY YOU BOOKED WITH!!!!! there is about 1000 con artists that will say they are part of your hotel, just make sure they have your name on a list and you will be OK. Seemed like a safe place though, we left the resort a few times and went into town...make sure you take a water taxi to Lovers Beach, its amazing!!

Top Bottom