Indianapolis, IN 46268
    317-872-1752

fireblade

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 30, 2011
    Earth
    The only think i would add if you are going to have food storage be realistic about it with your finances to do it, how many people you are prepping for etc. and do the math with it heres a printer friendly fact sheet i made some time ago that may help.

food math facts notes

4 people

2 meals a day is 8 meals a day 8x31=248 meal a month for 4 people.

248x6=
    1488 meal for 4 people for 6 months

248x12=
    2976 meals for 4 people for a year

6 people 2meals a day

62x6=
    372 meals for 6 people for 1 month

372x6=
    2232 meals for 6 people for 6 months

372x12=
    4464 meals for 6 people for 1 year

WATER

16 cups = one gallon of water person needs on average for average temperature 1 gallon a day

6x31=
    186 gallons of drinking water for 6 people for a month

186x12=
    1488 gallons of drinking water for 6 people for a year.

TOILET PAPER

4 people use on average
    15-20 rolls a month

4 people use on average
    240-260 rolls a year

TaunTaun

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2011
    The space for even half that amount of water for a year builds up real quick. If you don't have space for storing that much, I recommend buying some Granular Calcium Hypo-chlorite. 1 Gal of this stuff is supposed to be able to treat 125K gallons of water. Think pool bleach. This is the homemade method of producing bleach on the cheap if you dont have a really good filtration unit for your water. Big saver on space if you DONT have room to store that much water, but have access to a water supply nearby.

fireblade

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 30, 2011
    Earth
    What is the life span on typical canned meat?

Also in general. The packaged dry beans and rice that come in bags from the store. What is a good way to store those so they will last longer than thee stated date?

first thing to remember is the expiration date is really a freshness date on a lot of goods.

Shelf Life of Canned Food

http://ce.byu.edu/cw/womensconference/archive/2005/sharing_stations/pdf/52a.pd

The Shelf Life of Commercially Canned Foods - Survival Blog With A Family Focus

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HNU4DFQLVZY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fk9b0dAtJ80

Last edited:

fireblade

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 30, 2011
    Earth
    Still a newbie to this, what does #10 can mean? Does it mean 10 lbs? How many ounces are these cans? is 30 years the typical life span on anything sealed in these cans?

Its a size number of the can about the size of a coffee can freeze dried food for long term storgage usally come in them yes freeze dried in those can are good for 30 years this company here in my opition make the best tasting but you pay more :twocents:

Mountain House: Freeze Dried Food, Food Storage, Camping Food, Backpacking Food, Emergency Preparedness.

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    Salem
    For those interested in contacting a LDS cannery I made a phone call and got a address. The next closest is in Chicago and Columbus Ohio.

5151 West 84th Street
    Indianapolis IN. 46268
    1-877-483-9842

Might not let in non-members. Will have to call to find out.

If anyone has questions - feel free to PM me on this and I can try to direct you. The last I checked - you can certainly get stuff here. On MOST items it is better than you can get elsewhere. That said, prices fluctuate, and sometimes you can do better on some items elsewhere. If you run into a road block, feel free to PM me as well, and I'll check it out. From the inside... :D

The hours that they are around are limited - it's staffed by a couple of volunteers - so be kind. The primary purpose of these volunteers is to make the stuff available and promote self sufficiency amongst members of the church. As part of that, though, we tend to help out our friends wherever possible. And having the supply infrastructure in place, it means that unless stupid legalities get in the way, the more, the merrier.

One other side note - that facility has multiple purposes. It serves not just personal preparedness needs, but also takes care of the needy within the church, and also is used in cases of disaster for community relief. At different times, I've been up there to get stuff to deliver for all three of these uses. And different folks handle each of these areas. So when you call there, I _think_ that the number above is the right one. If for any reason, you don't get the right person - they may redirect you to the person in charge of the preparedness/ food storage type of stuff. You'll get to the right person pretty quickly.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom