• ...and so much more!
  • warren5421

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 23, 2010
    Plainfield
    I am thinking about a .22 Precision Rifle! I don't want over a $1000 in it, went down the 10-22 rabbit hole. I don't care if it is an old target .22 or a new CZ. It must be a bolt action. Need some recommendations as most of my .22's are Simi-auto or lever. Would like something that can give .17" at 1000 yards. :lol2: Really just a good rifle that lets me shoot a very good group if I do my part.

Born2vette

Norm, Team woodworker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jul 25, 2020
    Westfield
    I have a CZ 457 Varmint MTR with a $300 Vortex Strike Eagle 4-24 on it. Shoots .35” groups at 50 yds with low tier match ammo (SK standard plus, Eley Team), better with better ammo but it is a bit ammo picky.

Street price when available (availability waxes and wanes) is about $800. You can get nearly as good results with the non-match chamber Varmint for under $600 new.

Watch the classifieds as they show up from time to time and go quick.

The Bergara rimfires (BMR?) i have heard are solid shooter as well but no personal experience.

Hangout on Rimfire Central and you will gets lots ideas.

Last edited:

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    If I could buy one that would do .17 inches at 1000 yards under 1k sign me up for the second one.

Several come to mind mainly heavy barreled single shots of old.
    The issue is until someone passes on and their children sell of the collection they seldom come up for sale. If they are accurate they won’t sell them until the get shot enough to loose that accuracy and in a 22 rimfire that takes a very long time as little as most people shoot.

Most of these are over 1k but to list a few to search out

Winchester model 72. (I have shot more than one that qualified)
    Winchester 52 pre a d or c (price excludes it)
    Remington 513T (ding ding)
    Remington 40X ($)
    Remington 40XB (2) ($$)
    Mossberg 44US (ding Ding)
    Mossberg 44B (ding)
    Mauser ES340b ($$$)
    Anschutz 1411($$)
    Remington 541-THB

If you were around a few years ago the CMP was selling Kimber 82g target rilfes called Rusty’s for 425 with the sargent switchblade scar.
    They are long gone now but you could get one maybe at 1k but I will not be selling either of mine.

CB1911

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 27, 2018
    Putnam County
    You would probably be well served and pleased with any of the CZ's. I have a 452 American 22lr (sporter barrel) and have owned other 452's in heavy barrel and 17M2. My best friend has owned/owns almost all of the CZ rifles. They all just shoot really well. Some better than others but all well. Good glass with A/O helps plus good ammo.

Born2vette

Norm, Team woodworker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jul 25, 2020
    Westfield
    Just saw this.

55fairlane

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 15, 2016
    New Haven
    The CMP has bunches of different smallbore target rifles on the racks at all 3 stores. I saw 40x Remington(s) for $700
    Any Anschutz......a Remington 540XR unappreciated and often priced right

NyleRN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 14, 2013
    Scottsburg
    I second the CZ 457 MTR. I might be a bit biased since I have one. It needs nothing but an optic and rings. The trigger is serviceable. I did throw a Timney flat face trigger in mine and adjusted is down to about 12oz since I can. I got mine when the getting was good pre Covid. Paid $700 new. Unfortunately you're not getting that rifle for $700 new anymore

55fairlane

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 15, 2016
    New Haven
    I second the CZ 457 MTR. I might be a bit biased since I have one. It needs nothing but an optic and rings. The trigger is serviceable. I did throw a Timney flat face trigger in mine and adjusted is down to about 12oz since I can. I got mine when the getting was good pre Covid. Paid $700 new. Unfortunately you're not getting that rifle for $700 new anymore
    12 oz trigger pull.....uuuuggghhhhh that's heavy.....I checked my Anschutz it is set at 1.5 ounce & my 540XR is way heavy at 4 ounce

ROLEXrifleman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    NW Indiana
    Get behind a Ruger rimfire precision. I think it’s a real winner in the price range you want to be in. Solid action, great barrel, great accuracy. If you have a 10/22 already then you have plenty of mags for it. With all the good said, the stock is its downfall. Either you love it or hate it.

NyleRN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 14, 2013
    Scottsburg
    12 oz trigger pull.....uuuuggghhhhh that's heavy.....I checked my Anschutz it is set at 1.5 ounce & my 540XR is way heavy at 4 ounce
    Meh, I'm guessing that weight. I can't remember exactly how low that trigger goes, but I'm thinking maybe 10oz? But I got it a couple turns out from lowest setting. I know it's a STARK difference from the 2lb factory trigger.

Trimsaw

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 2, 2024
    North Vernon
    Any of the above on snapping turtles list would be great choices. I enjoy the peep sights that come on the US marked trainers as well as scoped. The peep sights can offer amazing groups as well, using the NRA TQ targets, like the TQ-3 for 50 yards & TQ-4 for 100 yards, I don't recall the # for 200yard target.
    I just received a used H&R M12, I had to order a set of scope blocks. Excited to see what it will do; I've heard they can be hit or miss.

Top Bottom