• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 1401king

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 12, 2013
    This bomb was dropped on me last evening. My son (11) expressed interest in deer hunting. I am super excited. Only problem is that I am 43 and have never hunted deer and haven't been hunting since I was 12. I need some direction on where to start. I have been on the DNR site and it seems to have a lot of useful info. I would love to have some real world advice. He got a 20 ga. Maverick for this past Christmas. Should I stick with that and slugs or should I move to a rifle cartridge? Anything will help. Thanks in advance.

ghostdncr

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 14, 2013
    Louisville
    Here's how I would deal with that bomb: get the young man a 20ga slug barrel with either rifle sights or a scope mount and a few boxes of slugs. If he can hold his shots on target, he can harvest a deer just fine with his Maverick. Unless I'm terribly mistaken, Mossberg 500 barrels will also work on the Maverick 88. Right now would be a great time of the year to hunt for a used slug barrel, too!

Indiana's rifle cartridge limitations are pretty idiotic, so I'd be inclined to stick with the shotgun, myself.

rotortech

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Sep 20, 2011
    Indianapolis
    Do it together, learn together. It should be the best thing that the two of you will ever do together. Start looking now for a place to hunt. Either find private land (farm) or check out the public hunting areas. Both of you should read all that you can about hunting and scouting deer. If you have a friend who knows the ropes, he can teach you both a lot.

The shotgun will be fine. Get some practice.

1401king

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 12, 2013
    Thanks guys. I plan on hunting with him for sure. Sister in law has a big farm. So we are set there. How do I learn about tags and license and crap like that? Does he have to take a hunters course?

Bucky623

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    Thanks guys. I plan on hunting with him for sure. Sister in law has a big farm. So we are set there. How do I learn about tags and license and crap like that? Does he have to take a hunters course?

In answer to your second question, I believe he can hunt using an apprentice license for three years. After that he will have to take the hunter safety course and get a regular license.

Top Bottom