• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Fenway

no longer pays the bills
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2008
    behind you
    I need to power wash some things around my house.

My drive way needs to be cleaned. I want to spray my deck and re stain it
    I need to re paint my trim and want to clean it before painting.

I have 0 experience. I know the first step is rent one. What else do I need to know?

Pete-FWA

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2008
    Get something with decent volume. PSI isn't everything. If you only have 1.5 GPM or some low flow like that, you'll end up spraying mist.

3 GPM and at least 2500 PSI is good for the jobs you mentioned.

Higher pressure and volume could help with the concrete, but aren't required by any means.

Concrete is more forgiving than wood. Getting too close with the tip can actually put marks or cuts in wood on the deck and certainly on softer trim pieces.

EDIT: Are you in Indianapolis? I have one heck of a custom built machine, but I'm not sure where you are or how loaning it might work.

Fenway

no longer pays the bills
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2008
    behind you
    Thanks, I just watched some clips on YouTube. It looks like I need a decent piece of equipment with a variety of nozzles for different applications.

Pete-FWA

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2008
    I have a fan-style spray pattern on mine that does everything I want.

Some offer scrubber tips that send a rotating band of water out, much like specialized massaging shower heads. Those can scour a surface well, but they concentrate on a smaller area and require a bit more control on the wand.

One other comment: renting a good machine is far more efficient than buying a low-end piece of equipment. While the $120 electric ones do serve a purpose, they'd likely not do what you want and would take a great deal more time doing most tasks.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Sam's Club sells some halfway decent gas-powered ones in the $300 range. I highly recommend gas over electric.

Pete-FWA

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2008
    Unless you have an industrial 220-3 phase electric, gasoline is definitely the way to go.

I have a stout Karcher that was plugged into my wash bay at my old shop. Killer machine, but the electricity limits its portability.

Fenway

no longer pays the bills
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2008
    behind you
    Someone told me there is a Troy Built for about $280 at Lowes that is a decent machine. Also heard Sams has some deals as mentioned earlier in this thread. I have a couple of projects I need to take care of and don't want to be renting all the time. If I buy one for $300 or less use it a couple of times and then sell it for $200 I think I would still do better vs renting. FWA I'm on the N side of Indy.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    I found a lot more uses for my power washer than the one for which I bought it. It's true that I don't use it more than three or four times per summer, but it comes in extremely handy when I do. Well worth the purchase price, in my opinion.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Just finished power-washing my camper in preparation for our first camping trip of the year in a few weeks. That makes three times I've used it this year already. I've never power-washed the camper before, but I can't imagine why not. The thing looks brand new now.

Lars

Rifleman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2008
    Cedar Creek, TX
    Mike, if you want, I can loan you my 1300PSI power washer.

it's electric, but should work fine for your intended uses. Also, it won't cost anything, and will give me an opportunity to pick up some hats :rockwoot:

Fenway

no longer pays the bills
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2008
    behind you
    Very cool. thanks for the offer. Do you think that will be able to clean up my cement drive way. Regardless I would like to give it a try before renting or buying one!

Thanks!

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    You'll probably have a tough time with a 1300 PSI washer on a driveway, but it should work ok. Pick up a bottle of power washer driveway cleaner and it should make it a bit easier.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Thanks for the tip. Where do I get that. hardware store?

Yeah, you can buy different solutions (concrete, vinyl, all-purpose, etc.) at Home Depot or Lowes for like $6. I used an all-purpose one to clean my camper and my car today.

Lars

Rifleman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2008
    Cedar Creek, TX
    I used it with the fan attachment to get most the dirt, and grime that's built up over the winter months off.....

If I was more patient, or had a higher PSI model, I'm sure it'd take the rust stains off etc.

that was just with water, and maybe a 24" wide jet, no cleaner. *shrug* If I could go back and do it again, I'd likely have purchased something in the 3000 - 5000 range, and gas powered. This does a great job on the siding of the house, cars, etc.

Fenway

no longer pays the bills
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2008
    behind you
    Most of it is just some mold looking stuff. The drive way has become a bit discolored under our gutter area for what ever reason.

There are a couple of small oil spots. Also I think we need to put a sealent on it because the drive way is starting to pit a bit.

What's on the driveway?

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Most of it is just some mold looking stuff. The drive way has become a bit discolored under our gutter area for what ever reason.

There are a couple of small oil spots. Also I think we need to put a sealent on it because the drive way is starting to pit a bit.

I think the 1200 PSI oughta be just fine for that.

Annie Oakley

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Rural southern Indiana
    Someone told me there is a Troy Built for about $280 at Lowes that is a decent machine. Also heard Sams has some deals as mentioned earlier in this thread. I have a couple of projects I need to take care of and don't want to be renting all the time. If I buy one for $300 or less use it a couple of times and then sell it for $200 I think I would still do better vs renting. FWA I'm on the N side of Indy.

I have the one from Lowe's. Got it last summer and have used it a bunch. The Honda engine makes it easy to start and it runs really well and serves a bunch of different purposes. It is worth having one for that price even if you only need it a couple times a year. One thing that I haven't seen mentioned and you all probably know but bears repeating----don't get it pointed at ANY part of your body. Seems like a no brainer but you would be surprised how many people think it won't hurt them.

Top Bottom