• ...and so much more!
  • JRHawkins1118

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2023
    Fort Wayne
    Curious on how people select powders. As a new loader, I’ve been going with what I find. Mostly Power Pistol and Win 244 for 9mm.

Do you just run a few rounds of different powders and see what gives you best groupings? I suspect every gun would then potentially have their specific powder. How important is it to measure bullet velocity of your own loads instead of using provided velocity from load data sources?

indyblue

Guns & Pool Shooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 13, 2013
    Indy Northside `O=o-
    I’ve wrestled with this question for a while myself.

At the moment, I only load 9 mm, 45 ACP, and in the future, possibly 32 ACP and .380.

I’ve got a bunch of W-231 for that and wondered if there is anything better that’s easy to get as that.

I also have a lot of 8208XBR for .223. Is there anything else 8208 is good for?

JRHawkins1118

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2023
    Fort Wayne
    When I started reloading I spent a good bit of time with manuals and talking to the old timers. Made my decisions on assorted powders based on those two data points. Never looked back, and now 45 years later still using those powders.
    Wise advise here. I have kept manuals close by and use them but I’m also finding that I’m really relying on the knowledge of some of the guys on this forum. No way would I have ventured into this had I not been reading the member of INGO.

Brian's Surplus

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 18, 2016
    Howard County
    Bill Rose had a BUNCH of really cheap powder. It's always nice when a manufacturer sells off extra powder that they don't use anymore. We got some really good deals from him. I don't know why he was selling it so cheap, he has a pretty good idea what it's worth.

Basher

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    May 3, 2022
    Lafayette

It’s supposed to be really good in the 6.5 Grendel. If you ever want to let any go, let me know. Would love to try some in my own Grendel!

For me, ease of finding it, versatility, and price are top considerations. Velocity comes after those. And of course accuracy, but in this market I’m not looking for perfect, but rather “good enough” (as good or slightly better than factory). Beggars can’t be choosers…

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    One of the best things I was talked into 10+ years ago was buying a copy of Quickload software. It makes it easy to find out if this powder or another powder will work and what to expect with a certain case, bullet and powder.
    The more data you feed it, the better data you get back.

LokhXIV

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 8, 2023
    Fort Wayne
    I'll echo everyone else so far.

The only thing I'll add is if I see a powder on sale that I haven't tried, I'll pick up a pound to see how it goes. Usually I'll just do a quick google search and see what it's listed for and then see if anyone has mentioned using it. Generally speaking, if it's hard to use, you'll see a LOT of complaints pretty quickly across different forums. If you don't find many people talking about it, it's probably middle of the road. People do like to complain after all.

ISP 5353

Master
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 21, 2009
    Putnam County
    I’ve wrestled with this question for a while myself.

At the moment, I only load 9 mm, 45 ACP, and in the future, possibly 32 ACP and .380.

I’ve got a bunch of W-231 for that and wondered if there is anything better that’s easy to get as that.

8208XBR is also excellent in some .308 loads. Very hard to find it right now.

Reactions: Leo

TheGrumpyGuy

Get off my lawn!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 12, 2020
    Too close for comfort
    I just picked up some 748 to load .30-30, 5.56 and .243 with. It does all well. 3031 when I can grab a pound.
    New to the reloading game here, currently working up a spreadsheet to determine the most versatile powder(s) for my possible reloading needs.

You mention 748 & .243, but I'm not finding load data for that combo on Hodgdons website. Is there some other reference material you could point me to that does show that mix? (excuse my current rudimentary chart; as I go deeper down the rabbithole other powders/calibers will be added)

rifle powder chart.jpg

TIA

Top Bottom