• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • saberstar

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Apr 19, 2012
    Bloomington, IN
    So far I am likeing Titegroup. Works with most of the calibers I am useing and seems to be pretty clean. As someone else said 2x charges could be an issue. (doesnt take much 2.4-2.8 gr 9mm ew)

Water63

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 18, 2010
    West Central IN
    Appreciating the suggestions.

I'm not looking for A do all powder. Just things I can buy bulk of that are capable of cost effective and accurate reloads.

If I need one powder for the lead 9mm and .45, another for the fmj's, and something different for .40, I'm ok with that.

Ideally I'd like to have 2-3 that accomplish all the loads in the op, but if I need more than that to get the job done safely and effeciently that's what I need to know.

Thanks again for all the help so far

If I were to only pick one powder it would be Titegroup or Unique. I would go for Titegroup just because it is cleaner to shoot. Go to the Hodgens web site and research for the loads you are most interested in.

http://data.hodgdon.com/main_menu.asp

Icarry2

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Nov 14, 2010
    Franklin County, VA
    +1 for HS-6 but sad to hear it's discontinued, glad I just picked up three more pounds tonight at my LGS..

Now if I can just find some primers without loosing my shirt..

TJ

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    Hodgdons website still lists HS-6. They apparently have discontinued HS-7 though. never used either, but as far as a little internet research shows, its still available, just not very available right now.

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    Getting a stockpile of reloading equipment and supplies.

Looking to build loads for the following handgun setups. And I'm interested in any suggestions for powder that is efficient and versatile.

9mm 124 gr played/fmj.
    9mm 147 grain lead

.40 165-180 plated/fmj
    175 gr lead

10mm 180-200 gr fmj
    10mm 220gr lead

.41 mag 210 gr lead
    .41 mag 175-210 jhp

.45 185-230 grain lead.

It there is any powders that work across several of these efficiently I'd like to know. Please let me know what you use and what you have had good results with.

There actually IS at least 1 (one) powder that will work pretty well with all of the cartridges listed above...Power Pistol.

It is fast enough for 9mm loads, nearly perfect for 40 and 10mm, a tad fast for 41, a tad slow for 45, but capable of truly excellent handloads in all 5 of these cartridges, with no risk of ever double-charging a case.

Aside from Unique, Power Pistol is probably the most versatile powder on the market these days, for pistols. Why don't you hear more about it? Because you have to use a bit more of it than you would Bullseye or Titegroup. I use it for everything from 380 SD loads to 44 Rem Mag plinking loads, and a whole bunch of stuff in-between. In fact, I'm buying it in 4 or 8lb containers, when I can find it. :)

Icarry2

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Nov 14, 2010
    Franklin County, VA
    HS-6 Not Discontinued..

3. HS-6-Can almost make Magnum loads with all 5 calipers listed, with safe pressures.

Billybob, I have a couple of friends that really like HS-6 also, but I got bad news. I stopped in at Hodgdon last fall. I figured I would pick up some for my friends. It has been discontinued.

I checked on this, NOT TRUE was the answer from Hodgdon..

My question to Hodgdon: "I have been told that you have discontinued HS-6 powder. Is this true?"

The reply:

"Not true. Someone is spreading rumors and they should never be believed again."

Mike Daly
    Customer Service Manager
    Hodgdon Family of Fine Propellants
    Hodgdon Smokeless Powder
    IMR Powder Company
    Winchester Smokeless Propellants
    GOEX Blackpowder"

Last edited:

warthog

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Vigo County
    I use Power Pistol and Unique a lot, I do use Bullseye a lot more though. That and Clays though now that I know of Clay Dot I want to get it and see how I like it in Clays loads since I am an Alliant man for the most part. I just like to use USA made products as much as I am able to afford to do this and Alliant's prices are quite competitive verses what I would say is their main competitor, Hogdgon Powders (Hogdgon, IMR & Winchester). I'd like to make more use of Western Powders, Ramshot, since before the panic I could buy that stuff for nearly half what even the lowest priced comparable powder cost but it is currently unobtainium. Unfortunately they are also mostly made in Australia like most of the Hogdgon powders, but for that much of a saving I guess I have to at least give them a look.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    If that is supposed to be some slap in the face, I was THERE, in Shawnee Mission, Kansas (my Bother in law lives there) I stopped personally at the Robinson Road facility and tried to buy some for a guy that loves it in the 5.7 X 28. I had cash in hand and was turned away. I repeated what I was told AT THEIR FACILITY.

I have no horse in this race, I do not spread rumors. If it is wrong information, it came from their man, it was not invented by me.

I guess it is good that HS-6 is available. But I really do not appreciate being called a liar.

Icarry2, it that a direct quote from Mike Daley? I need to know because I have another visit coming up soon, and I things like this are important to me.

Top Bottom