• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sarrsipius

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 14, 2012
    North side of Indy
    I'm just starting out reloading and I am trying to choose a powder. Looking for a recommendation. Following criteria:
    9mm 115gr fmj
    Should meter well
    Would like a fairly wide range min to max gr range
    Bulkier would be ok to reduce chance of double charge

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    Hodgdon makes some fast burning relatively clean powders that work well for 9mm...Titegroup and Clays come to mind.
    It's not necessarily bulky, but you should be checking and double checking anyhow.
    Jump on their website and look through their data; Hodgdon - The Gun Powder People

Grelber

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 7, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    I'm just starting out reloading and I am trying to choose a powder. Looking for a recommendation. Following criteria:
    9mm 115gr fmj
    Should meter well
    Would like a fairly wide range min to max gr range
    Bulkier would be ok to reduce chance of double charge

I'm using AA#5 for 115 gr plated 9mm and I'm very happy with performance.
    Meters great, but not as bulky as I'd like in a perfect world, staying with 115 grain bullets does help keep the case percentage fill up though.

Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Feb 23, 2010
    Converse Indiana
    Titegroup works good with the 115gr and fills the case good. No alot of info for titegroup and 115 FMJ out there so as a noob you might want to try a powder that has alot of loading data you can consult.

spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    70   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    Clays can be a little picky about exact measurement - pressure spikes up rapidly as you get close to max loads. Liked Power Pistol for a while, but it is somewhat smoky and flashy, moreso as you get farther below max loads. I've never had trouble with double loads on either - they are close enough to full to prevent that.

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    No alot of info for titegroup and 115 FMJ out there

It's right on the fricken Hodgdon website I linked;

Bullet Weight (Gr.) 115 GR. LRN
    Manufacturer Hodgdon
    Powder Titegroup
    Bullet Diam. .356"
    C.O.L. 1.100"
    Min
    Grs. 3.9
    Vel. (ft/s) 1075
    Pressure 25,800 CUP
    Max
    Grs. 4.3
    Vel. (ft/s) 1151
    Pressure 30,500 CUP

Sheesh.

Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Feb 23, 2010
    Converse Indiana
    It's right on the fricken Hodgdon website I linked;

Bullet Weight (Gr.) 115 GR. LRN
    Manufacturer Hodgdon
    Powder Titegroup
    Bullet Diam. .356"
    C.O.L. 1.100"
    Min
    Grs. 3.9
    Vel. (ft/s) 1075
    Pressure 25,800 CUP
    Max
    Grs. 4.3
    Vel. (ft/s) 1151
    Pressure 30,500 CUP J

Sheesh.

Pay attention and you will notice that is lead nose bullet and not FMJ. Go and sheesh someone else

Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Feb 23, 2010
    Converse Indiana
    There have been quite a few threads on why titegroup doesn't have info on the 115fmj. I personally am a titegroup junkie and use it for quite a few calibers including 115 FMJ I just worked up a load after trial and error. Somethin I wouldn't recommend for a begginer.

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    There have been quite a few threads on why titegroup doesn't have info on the 115fmj. I personally am a titegroup junkie and use it for quite a few calibers including 115 FMJ I just worked up a load after trial and error. Somethin I wouldn't recommend for a begginer.

I mostly use Clays (.45acp), but I've been kicking around the idea of trying Titegroup (as well as another or two). The only thing holding that plan back is the notion that if I end up not liking it...now I'm stuck with it.
    I guess if I do, the next time I get down to Grant Co, I'll have to see if you're interested in an opened can from a sheesher. :):

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    392   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    +1 Six Shooter..

Same thing here Steve. I have also found that some loads that my CZ's like, my Glocks do not. The Glocks do not do well with the loads on the mild side for me.

I like loading/shooting 124-125gr. bullets better+have found that the CZ's like a shorter seated bullet (short lede) and the Glocks like a hotter charge..Bill.

Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Feb 23, 2010
    Converse Indiana
    I mostly use Clays (.45acp), but I've been kicking around the idea of trying Titegroup (as well as another or two). The only thing holding that plan back is the notion that if I end up not liking it...now I'm stuck with it.
    I guess if I do, the next time I get down to Grant Co, I'll have to see if you're interested in an opened can from a sheesher. :):

I don't mind a good sheesher every now and again. Oh and by the way once you go titegroup, you never go back :D I load 9mm, 38spl, 45, and light 44's with it.

Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Feb 23, 2010
    Converse Indiana
    I have used clays, and while it shoots good it makes a mess on my 650 while loading. It fills the case up so far if I am loading reasonably fast it spills a little. I haven't tried the other 2 powders.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I agree with the majority. Titegroup has been my main general pistol powder since it came out about 20 years ago. Winchester 231 and Accurate #5 are good powders for lead, plated or jacketed bullets also. Modern ball powders are not too fussy. I have never gone wrong by just picking a load weight right in the middle of the data. By the way, Hodgdon has online data for free that includes Winchester powders. AA also has online data. Good Luck

XtremeVel

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Oh and by the way once you go titegroup, you never go back :D .

Sheesh... Oh, how the wife would like that statement to be true... Tried Titegroup after seeing your loads in .357 mag and Clays after seeing JG's in .45 ACP... For a short time, her hands would actually be clean after a day at the range... Now that we are pretty much back to Unique, not so much so.

The only thing holding that plan back is the notion that if I end up not liking it...now I'm stuck with it.
    :

Sheesh... Next time you and Tonya are dilly'in around, grab one of the partial cans here before leaving...

OP... Since you did state it must meter well, it would probably rule Unique out... If you're wanting a rather large range between min/max in the lighter weights, might look at W231/HP-38... You should be able to find data for jacketed and also lead/plated if you decide later to... If you want more performance, look at Power Pistol or AA#7.

Last edited:
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Feb 23, 2010
    Converse Indiana
    Sheesh... Oh, how the wife would like that statement to be true... Tried Titegroup after seeing your loads in .357 mag and Clays after seeing JG's in .45 ACP... For a short time, her hands would actually be clean after a day at the range... Now that we are pretty much back to Unique, not so much so.

Sheesh... Next time you and Tonya are dilly'in around, grab one of the partial cans here before leaving...

OP... Since you did state it must meter well, it would probably rule Unique out... If you're wanting a rather large range between min/max in the lighter weights, might look at W231/HP-38... You should be able to find data for jacketed and also lead/plated if you decide later to... If you want more performance, look at Power Pistol or AA#7.
    Oh man don't start bein a sheeeesher!!!!

Top Bottom