• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bassmatt

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 25, 2009
    Marshal County
    I have never done any reloading, but will be starting soon. My question is I am between 2 powders for my 44mag pistol and 44mag rifle. Which powder is cleaner to shoot and work with? Reddot or Unique. What are the pro's and con's of each? Or should I look into a different powder all together?
    Thanks for the help,
    Matt

hammer24

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Unique. Much more versatile and wider loading range. Are these plinking rounds you're building? I would advise a slower powder if you want to push the velocity. I use H110 or 2400. You can get snappy loads from Unique, but there are better powders if you want to raise the velocity.

Will you be hunting with these loads?

Oh an READ, READ, READ. Tons of info out there for the reloader. Get a few reloading manuals and stay within their recommendations.

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    Of those two, I would choose Unique. Red Dot, for all its virtues, is a very fast-burning powder that I would prefer to avoid in a magnum round like the 44. I reload for the 44 Magnum with Power Pistol for lighter loads and H110 for the full-throttle hunting stuff. I'm very happy with the performance I get from both. I do not worry about how "clean" a powder burns because I clean my guns after I shoot. I choose powders based on the performance they give, not how clean they burn, relative to another powder.

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    I'm partial to the 240gr XTP bullets, for hunting. I've shot a number of deer with them, and the 200gr version, with very good results. Also, they're not prohibitively expensive, unless you're casting your own lead bullets.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Michael.
    Top Bottom