• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • poweraddict

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 25, 2010
    Greenfield
    I am new to firearms and I'm looking to buy an xdm 45 acp for carry. I use to own the service model when xds first came out and I liked it a lot. I would probly just buy that same model again but I want to get my girlfriend into shooting.
    My first question is will the interchanging grips on the xdm make it that much easier for her to hold? I have taken her to a gun shop and I tried to get her to hold different models but after holding the first one she didn't feel comfortable with the whole process of checking out the different guns. So having her try them out her self is out of the picture. My second question is what are the general price ranges for bitone xd and xdms in 45 acp at a gun shop? I have looked at them on gunbroker but you really have to factor in the shipping and the gunshop's fees.

Stschil

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2010
    At the edge of sanit
    I own an Xd(m) .40 and love it. I know others who swear by their .45, but I've not handled them, I'm sure the .45 is as nice as the .40,, though. It's a great platform. I've not even played with the grips. My GF has smallish hands, but doesn't have any issues with the factory installed med sized grips.

As far as getting your GF interested,,,lot's of different ways. Make a few friends here on INGO, and find out about some meet and greet shoots. I've had many people offer to let me try their rifles and pistols and I have done the same. My GF, who was scared :poop:less to shoot an AR, ended up loving them after shooting one that was offered by a fellow shooter. Sometimes they just have to point it downrange and pull the trigger first. Make is fun, if you can,,,blast a milk jug or a watermelon, etc.

I'm sure there are many more ideas and there will be other members along to help out.

OH and :welcome: to INGO!

gunwh

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    The grips on the XD(M) feel slimer than the XD to start. but yes the interchangable back straps can make it more comfertable from grip style to grip style.

Now on the matter of getting you Girle friend interested in to shooting. If she has never shot befor or has little experiance then I would not try to get her in to the sport with the 45. Stating her off with the 45 is kind of like asking her to learn how to play foot ball with pro players in a pro game.

I sugest getting her in to the sport with some thing fun but easy to shoot like a 22 pistole. Walther P22 Smith & Wesson 22A, Beretta 22A, Sig Misquito are just a few to look at I prefer the Walther over the rest then I guess I would take the Sig second just for the fact it has a slim grip that seems to be comfertable to most women and is a great platform for a suppressor. (if your in to that type of thing) Then as she gets comfertable to shooting and has learned the proper form, safty, and handaling of this gun then slowly work your way up in caliber till she finds the one she likes to shoot the most. Now I do all ways recomend that you keep in mind the caliber of choice that you and I migh prefer might not fit what she wants and likes to shoot. On this point it is better for her or any one to carry what they like and are comfertable with than nothing at all. There for I recoment incouragement not the forcing of a particular cal. that one might like whitch can be a deturent to a new shooter or in experianced shooter at that. (Not to say you will or do do that)

Feel free to PM me with any questions you might have or interests you might have on what I have said. but keep in mind I am not an instructer just a guy that likes to see people find the gun they like to shoot most in a comfertable fashion.

gunwh

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    I forgot to add welcome to INGO and if you in the NW Indiana area we have a gun shop with a gun range along with the option of rental guns at a low price of $5 a rental and $9 an hour for range time. You can find all the info about our store frunt by clicking on the web link provided in my signiture below

crispy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 29, 2010
    Noblesville
    I have taken her to a gun shop and I tried to get her to hold different models but after holding the first one she didn't feel comfortable with the whole process of checking out the different guns.

I'm going to say this as nicely as possible. If she's not comfortable figuring out when gun she feels comfortable with... she's probably got no business with a gun.

If she just is intimidated with doing it at a gun shop, that's different. Simple solution to that. Go to the Indy1500 gun show in 10 days. Every gun imaginable will be sitting out on tables. She can pick up hundreds and "fondle" them and no one will give a crap.

And gunwh is right on. Have her hold, then shoot a Walther P22. That gun feels and shoots easy. Baby steps. If she shoots a Taurus 709 Slim (which will FEEL great) first, she may not want to touch another gun.

poweraddict

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 25, 2010
    Greenfield
    She has shot my cousin's 9mm before and she liked it. I'm not as worried about the caliber as much as the grip. She is applying for the impd and a couple other departments this year and I just want her to be comfortable handling guns ahead of time. I also need it to carry due to the nature of my job. I work club security at a really rowdy hip hop club in indy. Im looking into a 12 gauge for home defense but I need a carry weapon for the ride home from work. It gets physical often there and I need something to carry just in case one of thugs we bounce try to get revenge. Her shooting is the secondary objective. I just want to know if the different grips on the xdm will make it manageable for her to hold

crispy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 29, 2010
    Noblesville
    I sound like a broken record on this, but the best grip for a smaller hand on an easy shooting 9mm, is on the Ruger SR9.

I know you're a fan of the XDs, but the M&P has a better grip than the XD. IMHO.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    The Xdm's are a good platform. If you are wanting some that your GF can shoot, I would look at something else. Xdm's are big and clunky. Just something to think about. I think the M&P, or SR9 would be a better choice in terms of size and weight. Just some food for thought.

Top Bottom