• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gamerman

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2013
    The Mrs. and I are heading out tomorrow to drive to Tampa to go on a cruise. The drive through the various states is no a problem but I will be parking the car at the port in Tampa for 5 days. Thats where the problem is, with NO WEAPONS aboard the cruise ship my gun will be forced to stay in the car for a week. The lot where we are parking has surveillance but I'm not feeling good about leaving my gun. Gun can be stored in a cabled travel vault under seat or (just a thought) strip gun and hide parts around the car. Any ideas on how to solve problem or at least make me feel better about this?

22rssix

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   2
    Mar 27, 2008
    Indianapolis
    When we went on our cruise I locked mine in a cabled vault under the seat. I had no issues, we even had the SUV loaded with extra bags and gifts(we got married on the beach then jump on a cruise)

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Pawn it, then redeem it.

But seriously folks, the gun shop is a decent idea. Anyone know about safe deposit boxes? Guns allowed there?

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Anyone know about safe deposit boxes? Guns allowed there?

Likely against the bank's rules.

MAY be against some state's laws but I have no idea.

I do like the idea of looking up a local gun shop and contacting them. Phone calls are free these days and it wouldn't hurt to call and ask!

-J-

VERT

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Put the gun in a lock box in the trunk or under the seat. Enjoy your cruise. I understand the reluctance to leave your gun in the car but sometimes you have no other option. If it were me I would leave my 1911 at home and take my Glock.

ryknoll3

Master
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    An average gun shops can't have guns sitting around that aren't on their books. Also, a gun shop can't dispose of a handgun to a non-resident. I don't really see how they could "hold it" for you. A gunsmith CAN receive a gun for repair and dispose of it back to its owner, so maybe find one that is willing to "clean it" for you and you pick it up on the way back?

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    take-the-cannoli.gif

Do what many people do, if you don't want to lock it in your glove box. Leave it at home. You'll likely survive the trip.

Slawburger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Almost Southern IN
    An average gun shops can't have guns sitting around that aren't on their books. Also, a gun shop can't dispose of a handgun to a non-resident. I don't really see how they could "hold it" for you. A gunsmith CAN receive a gun for repair and dispose of it back to its owner, so maybe find one that is willing to "clean it" for you and you pick it up on the way back?

Good excuse to have those new sights installed that you had your eye on anyway. :)

Lectric102002

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 25, 2013
    .- ...- --- -.
    I know how apprehensive you are. I recently left my favorite EDC in a cabled vault under my truck seat at the Indy airport for a week. Everything was safe and sound when I got back. And I've even got INGO and NRA stickers on my truck. Thought for sure a Carmel mom would bash my windows in.

jkaetz

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Indianapolis
    You're being irrational. The odds of your car being broken into do not increase simply because there is a firearm hidden inside. Do you worry that your car would be broken into without said firearm hidden inside? Locked glove box, locked cable vault, gun you can live without, etc.. are all appropriate precautions but the odds are still no greater than the car being broken into without said gun inside. Keep in mind the problem would be the criminal that decided to break into your vehicle anyway. Doesn't matter if you have a priceless ming dynasty piece in the car or a few groceries, place the guilt on the criminal where it belongs. Make sure your insurance is paid and enjoy your cruise.

SEIndSAM

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    May 14, 2011
    Ripley County
    You're being irrational. The odds of your car being broken into do not increase simply because there is a firearm hidden inside. Do you worry that your car would be broken into without said firearm hidden inside? Locked glove box, locked cable vault, gun you can live without, etc.. are all appropriate precautions but the odds are still no greater than the car being broken into without said gun inside. Keep in mind the problem would be the criminal that decided to break into your vehicle anyway. Doesn't matter if you have a priceless ming dynasty piece in the car or a few groceries, place the guilt on the criminal where it belongs. Make sure your insurance is paid and enjoy your cruise.

This^^^^^^^^^

Just make sure everything is out of site. There will be 100's of cars in that parking lot and if it would be broken into, they are going to look for stuff they can grab quickly.

I would be more concerned with the stuff at home since you announced to the world that you will be gone for a week.

gamerman

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2013
    Well made it back and everything was fine left in vehicle. carried the rest of the trip from Florida to north Carolina and home. I guess just to much thought on my part. lol :dunno:

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area

Best answer yet. I have heard "by the book" once its taken in and logged by a gun store (they have to log it since they are in possession), it cant leave without a 4473, even if there is no charge and its being given back to the person who handed it over. So even if you put a gun in for consignment and then change your mind, they still have to log a 4473 call in the books.

Can any LGS employees confirm?

Top Bottom