• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mackwage

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2013
    I am relatively new to the shooting realm; I own a Glock 19c and a Savage 10 fcp-k.

I have only taken my Glock out to the range a couple times and have read across a couple forums of people mentioning upgrading their handguns (Glocks). I was curious what some possible good upgrades may be? While one could consider this my personal defense gun, I am more interested in target/competition type upgrades. What are some good upgrades to look for?

Master
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    Hamilton County
    One of the glock armorers at the Indy 1500 does a great trigger job that has an adjustable trigger. You can adjust it down to a 1.5 lb trigger pull. Not good for carry but as you stated you are looking for comp upgrades.

cmj

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   1
    Apr 10, 2011
    Upgrade yourself. Read everything you can. Spend your money on classes, ammo, and range time. There is nothing you can do to that pistol right now that will make you a better shooter. Practice! When you start becoming consistent, and you shoot enough, you will notice things that you would like to change.. Things that might make the pistol better.

Right now you are asking for things to do, if you can't think of 'em yourself, they don't need to be done!

mackwage

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2013
    One of the glock armorers at the Indy 1500 does a great trigger job that has an adjustable trigger. You can adjust it down to a 1.5 lb trigger pull. Not good for carry but as you stated you are looking for comp upgrades.

Thanks for the information! Why would the different trigger pull make it not as good for self defense?

mackwage

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2013
    Upgrade yourself. Read everything you can. Spend your money on classes, ammo, and range time. There is nothing you can do to that pistol right now that will make you a better shooter. Practice! When you start becoming consistent, and you shoot enough, you will notice things that you would like to change.. Things that might make the pistol better.

Right now you are asking for things to do, if you can't think of 'em yourself, they don't need to be done!

Thanks for the information; I may or may not upgrade anything at the point but I would certainly like to open up the conversation so I can learn! For instance, if someone recommends a trigger upgrade and why, I would know that is an option and decide to do it later on.

I get what you mean by if I cannot think of them myself then I don't need to do it but I am green around the ears; I don't know what I don't know. If you get what I mean.

cmj

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   1
    Apr 10, 2011
    I don't know what I don't know. If you get what I mean.

Keep on keepin on!

Trigger job will lighten the pull of the trigger. This means less pressure on the trigger will fire the gun. Depending on who you ask, this may or may not be safe. An easier trigger pull isn't more suseptible to 'going off' but is easier to accidentally pull/engage when handling or carrying on your persons.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    What is the M&P upgrade? I did a quick Google and just returned a bunch of SW M&P vs Glock reviews. :)

It was a joke. I carried a Glock 23 for several years before switching to a Smith & Wesson M&P. I greatly prefer the M&P and therefore consider it an "upgrade" to the Glock.

KokomoDave

Enigma Suspect
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    77   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Kokomo
    Okay. A little thing on your uber pistol. It has a comp built in that will blacken your front sight pronto so self luminous tritium sights are not recommended unless you swap out the barrel for a non-comp type. I would do as suggested earlier. Shoot it. Get some pointers from a cert'd instructor. Buy more ammo. Shoot some more. Invest in a good class like the Boone County instruction from Ken Campbell or Mercop. A good holster. More ammo downrange. Better situational awareness...and more rounds downrange!

Cam

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 7, 2008
    Tipton County
    I am of the opinion that Glock did it right and your gun needs no upgrades. Particularly if you are using it as a defense weapon. As others have said, shoot the thing and shoot thing and shoot the thing. The Glocks will get better with use.

johnny45

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 9, 2013
    I upgraded my Glock... it was pretty easy really.

First, I removed the slide assembly from the frame. I replaced the slide assembly with one stamped with a rearing horse.

The new slide did not match the old frame very well. Instead of screwing around with a bunch of fabrication headaches, I simply replaced the frame with one stamped M1911A1.

I finally have a pistol I like.

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    It was a joke. I carried a Glock 23 for several years before switching to a Smith & Wesson M&P. I greatly prefer the M&P and therefore consider it an "upgrade" to the Glock.

I see many take that "upgrade"... then upgrade it with Apex parts... to get a glock like trigger.

Top Bottom