• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cg21

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    May 5, 2012
    I am looking into buying a portable generator.. Obviously the LARGE ones are better... 4,000w+ But I am thinking in a SHTF situation.... do you want to be using fuel to push a huge generator like that???

Unless there is a way to regulate how the big gennies idle? That i dont know about??? Would think a smaller one would be better because less fuel used and it will run essentials.. Maybe I will buy a big one and a little one as a backup...

Thoughts???

sbcman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    Southwest Indiana
    I have two generators, a 5800w and a 1500w. The 1500 is a sportsmens something or another made in China. The 5800 is a Husky with a Subaru/Robins Engine. In the times we've had to use them, they are usually moved from the garage to one location and left there until they are put back up. The Husky has wheels on the frame, so it's no problem. to move. The 1500 is so small, it can easily be picked up and placed where needed.

We've found that the small one is nice to hook a window A/C unit to or frige and just let it run continuously. We've also ran the Husky non-stop, but it cranks out so much power it's never been under a max load and can run a long time on a full tank of gas.

If we had to, we could make it on the big one alone, but two is nice. I'm happy with our set-up and it's nice to have a back-up. Although both of our gens have never given us any trouble, I really recommend the Subaru/Robins engines:twocents:

ETA: Regardless of what gen set-up you go with, just be sure to have plenty of gas on hand. Min. of 20 gallons; more is better. Also oil- most gens are set-up to shut off when oil gets low. I spoke to a Husky tec when we bought ours and he said that after a hurricane in Florida he managed to "fix" about 40 gens with a quart of oil:laugh:

cg21

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    May 5, 2012
    What are some of the benefits to diesel??? I figured gas would be better.... more abundent. And it has dual purpose at my house because of vehicles.

Ted

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2012
    If you wish to engage the generator to power electronic components, you need either purchase a better grade electric generator, or a power conditioner.

Justin Case

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 30, 2012
    Brown County
    If you plan to hook-up a generator to your home's electrical wiring you should get a transfer switch to prevent dangerous (as in death to utility workers) feedback into the utility company lines. You may want to check with your local utility to see what they recommend/require. I'm sure they will also know what local building codes require.

Here is a link that may be helpful.

http://arlingtonelectric.com/pdf/Elc07_06.pdf

kiddchaos

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 11, 2011
    Indianapolis
    I have a 3500W/4000Peak one, Gander Mtn or TSC sells them around $350. Sorry its China made, most are. I calculated once that it would power a small space heater, the fridge, and a light. I test it a couple times a year. I may get a Honda one someday.

Also note a pure sine wave inverter might help 'cleanup' the power if you want to plug in a computer, for example. I have a DC to AC one for the laptop use in my car.

Sailor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    If you just want to keep a refrigerator or two cold, just get a 800 watt inverter and run it off your car. Few hours at a time is fine. $50 done. And I saw on the survival podcast this table top ice maker that makes 25lbs of ice a day. Run if off the same inverter.

I have an 8000w genny but picked up one of these for smaller events, more portable, much less noise.

Ted

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2012
    If you plan to hook-up a generator to your home's electrical wiring you should get a transfer switch to prevent dangerous (as in death to utility workers) feedback into the utility company lines. You may want to check with your local utility to see what they recommend/require. I'm sure they will also know what local building codes require.

Here is a link that may be helpful.

http://arlingtonelectric.com/pdf/Elc07_06.pdf

If the cost of the transfer switch and installation is too much on your budget right now, be sure to cut the main on your circuit breaker to prevent the backflow of electricity out of the house.

Alternatively, you could purchase a GenerLink system. I takes 30 minutes for an electrician to install.

Sailor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    If you are not going to install a transfer switch, I would just use extension cords vs risking fire or backfeeding. The main does not shut off the neutral, wire it wrong and a line worker could die. Or sending 240v down a 120v line is not safe either.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    What are some of the benefits to diesel??? I figured gas would be better.... more abundent. And it has dual purpose at my house because of vehicles.

Longer storage life, better efficiency, etc. I have a military 10k diesel that will burn about 2 gallon an hour on full load. It's capable of putting out 16-18k. A good, high quality generator will have an 1800 rpm run speed instead of 3600 rpm. That saves on fuel and engine wear.

BeauBailey

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 17, 2012
    One cheaper way I have seen generators hooked up is to put a 240v receptacle on the outside that your generator plugs into with a dual male ended cord. This plug should be on its own breaker. When you lose power you simply turn off your main breaker and turn on the breaker for your generator receptacle. This will power your whole breaker panel and you can have the power available anywhere in your house. Your breaker panel will break down the 240v to 120v for each breaker. Furthermore, you can even turn off breakers you know you won't use to keep from unknowingly drawing power that you dont need. The catch is the you can still only use as much power as your generator will put out but it eliminates the need to have extension cords stung all over the place.
    This is how I will do it when I get a generator. Still saving up for it. Good luck.

vzdude

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 98.2%
    54   1   1
    Jan 20, 2011
    Kentland, IN
    Had an electrical supply store sell me a breaker lockout plate. Generator wires up to an outlet on a 240 breaker by itself. You can only have the generator breaker or the main breaker on, one at a time . NIPSCO also approved it, when they hooked up the meter, they tested it and said it was a safe, cheaper, alternative to the more expensiove disconnect box.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    One cheaper way I have seen generators hooked up is to put a 240v receptacle on the outside that your generator plugs into with a dual male ended cord. This plug should be on its own breaker. When you lose power you simply turn off your main breaker and turn on the breaker for your generator receptacle. This will power your whole breaker panel and you can have the power available anywhere in your house. Your breaker panel will break down the 240v to 120v for each breaker. Furthermore, you can even turn off breakers you know you won't use to keep from unknowingly drawing power that you dont need. The catch is the you can still only use as much power as your generator will put out but it eliminates the need to have extension cords stung all over the place.
    This is how I will do it when I get a generator. Still saving up for it. Good luck.

That's what I did at my old house. I had a small basement room that had my pressure tank and switch. I ran a piece of 10/2 from the pressure switch to a 30 amp 240 female outlet on the side of the house. Kill the main breaker, plug in both ends of the cord and start the generator.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    That's for sure. I work in insurance I have seen it go wrong many times from diy electrical work. I will stick to using extension cords.

Are you all grounding your portable generators?

Yep. I've got a 400 amp transfer switch on a panel about 40' from my house now. I bring the 10k generator out with the tractor and pallet forks. Hook up the pin and sleeve plug, hook up the ground cable to my ground rod, throw the transfer switch, start the generator, and throw the breaker on the generator. I wired my entire house from the transfer switch/meter base to the very last circuit.

Iroquois

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2011
    I bought a transfer switch box for $120. Hooked it to the main box with a short nipple and pulled
    necessary circuits right into it w/o splicing. It has 8 breakers that run, well pump, furnace blower
    fridge, freezers and some lights. Two 50a breakers supply it when NIPSCO is on.
    When the power is out it's fed by a plug in/ cord on the gen. A mechanical toggle prevents twin
    feed as both feeds can't be on at once. Don't know how it could backfeed on the common
    without a short that would trip a breaker?

tobi

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 4, 2011
    I am looking into buying a portable generator.. Obviously the LARGE ones are better... 4,000w+ But I am thinking in a SHTF situation.... do you want to be using fuel to push a huge generator like that???

Unless there is a way to regulate how the big gennies idle? That i dont know about??? Would think a smaller one would be better because less fuel used and it will run essentials.. Maybe I will buy a big one and a little one as a backup...

The first thing you need to do is figure out what you want to run. That will determine what size generator you need. I have sized my generator to handle the basics (furnace, sump, microwave, TV, couple of lights, refrigerator ++).

Top Bottom