• ...and so much more!
  • xanderphillips

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2012
    :(:(:( Won't be back to this facility. :(:(:(

<whine><moan>

After waiting for approximately two hours for one of their 6 lanes I finally gave up and went home. Their members always go first policy makes it nearly impossible for any non-member to get into a lane. I was 'next' for over an hour, as member after member steamed into the store taking the next available spot. I understood that was the policy going in, but didn't realize the volume of member shooters that I would be up against. The fact that regardless of a non-member wait time members ALWAYS get the next lane is poor policy IMHO. Sprinkling non-members in between members even at a two or three to one ratio (member member non-member) or (member member member non-member) would even be ok because EVENTUALLY you would get to shoot.

One minor plus was that the clerk gave me a token for a free hour at the range for my trouble (not that I plan on using it, unless it ALSO gave me head of the line!!!).

YMMV

I just wish I had some alternatives. It's mind blowing with as gun friendly as Indiana seems on the surface that there are so few ranges available in central IN. From my searching they all appear to be 2+ hour drives from me. Looks like I need to purchase a plot of land in the country.

All my friends are city slickers like me so I don't even have that as an option. </moan></whine>

SEIndSAM

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    May 14, 2011
    Ripley County
    Indy Trading Post just opened a range. It's probably less than 10 minutes from Pops. Also Beech Grove Firearms is building one, that wouldn't be too far from you either.

cobber

Parrot Daddy
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Sep 14, 2011
    PR-WLAF
    Check with halfmileharry here on INGO, I understand he's had guests out to shoot at his place.:ingo:

Phase2

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    There are other inside shooting ranges:

Dons- Yeah, I'll include it although they have a very bad rep on INGO.

Indy Trading Post- New range on the south side of Indy that allows pistol calibers only. Seems to be well received, though I haven't gone there. They are site supporters.

Beech Grove Firearms- Coming soon (though not soon enough) on the SE side. Should be a very nice setup that includes both pistol and rifle calibers.

xanderphillips

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2012
    Will have to check those out. Even pops is a long drive as I'm all the way up in Westfield, so hopefully it's not even further south. :)

Thanks for the heads up!

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    People paid extra for the privilege of being next in line. You could always buy a membership there.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I like that Indy Trading Post isn't going to offer "memberships" for that very reason... gives everyone an equal chance to shoot. Both it and the eventual Beech Grove range would be farther south for you, but not all that much.

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    I had basically the same experience.....horrible gun prices too boot, and stood around for 20 minutes and NOBODY even said hello, or can I help you....haven't been back since and won't go back

J_Wales

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2011
    I went there once a long time ago and decided to never go back after similar experiences.

I haven't been to an indoor range since discovering mcfg.

rotortech

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Sep 20, 2011
    Indianapolis
    xanderphillips - I was there today and I have never seen it so crowded. You and I picked the worst possible day to shoot at that location. I am a member but when I saw the line I just turned around and left.

I love walking in there and bumping to the front. That is what I paid for.

I have recently visited ITP and it was a nice clean range. I am actually pleased that more indoor ranges are opening up. Give them a try. I think they are still doing a special price of $6 for 30 minutes range time.

xanderphillips

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2012
    As I said, I'm just whining. I understood that members had head of the line. Just disappointed at the VOLUME of members and that non-members had absolutely zero ability to get in. Maybe leaving one line open to non-members or slipping in an occasional non-member or SOMETHING would be better to keep people from leaving with a negative impression. I understand the business behind it. When they have customers lined up 1-2hrs deep and people buying memberships out of frustration just to get into a lane they can do whatever they want. As for me I'll express my opinion by spending my money elsewhere. MCF&G for instance.

jb28

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2012
    This Pops Guns, I met this guy at his booth at the Indy 1500, gave me and my cousin the time of day and answered any question we had. Seemed to me like a guy I'd do business with. Although I've heard bad things in a forum at shotgunworld.com(take that with a grain of salt). They have a number of websites, don't know if everything they sell online is in the store , but the gentleman I met at the show said they were planning an expansion. I will still try and make it by when I'm up north.

fullmetaljesus

Probably smoking a cigar.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Indy
    I had a friend who's family was really big into guns and such. As in, always had a gun on the hip, one on either side of the bed and a closet full of loaded/chambered guns.

Point being, they had a lot of guns. There for a while they had a friend that had a small shop that they got all their guns from. Spent 1000s of dollars in this shop. Then the small shop started to get bigger, and the shop owner no longer wanted to talk to my friends who had helped him get to where he was, he was too important to talk to them. to big. Wouldn't return phone calls. One gun they had on special order the shop owner sold it off with out calling them. they vowed never to shop at any of his shops again. that shop owner was the owner of Pop Guns.

Dirc

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 2, 2011
    Noblesville
    Depending on how much you shoot, you might consider joining Elwood Conservation Club. For around $65/year you can shoot whenever you want. There's almost always someone there, but I've never seen it full. They have 5, 25, 50, 75, and 100 yard lanes. Outdoor but covered.

Also, archery, a pond, and some other stuff I haven't taken advantage of.

xanderphillips

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2012
    I'll also look into this one, as it seems to be more convenient to home. Thanks!

Depending on how much you shoot, you might consider joining Elwood Conservation Club. For around $65/year you can shoot whenever you want. There's almost always someone there, but I've never seen it full. They have 5, 25, 50, 75, and 100 yard lanes. Outdoor but covered.

Also, archery, a pond, and some other stuff I haven't taken advantage of.

Top Bottom