• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    I just got my first shipment of surplus 7.62x54r for the new to me Mosin-Nagant I've been waiting to shoot. Obviously I need to get an opener to pop the cans. Is this something my LGS will have, or should I look online? How much should I expect to pay for the opener?

Secondly, after popping the can, what's the best way to store the ammo? Do I transfer to a ammo can with latch or can I just leave it wrapped up the open spam can and pull as I need it?

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    I just got my first shipment of surplus 7.62x54r for the new to me Mosin-Nagant I've been waiting to shoot. Obviously I need to get an opener to pop the cans. Is this something my LGS will have, or should I look online? How much should I expect to pay for the opener?

Secondly, after popping the can, what's the best way to store the ammo? Do I transfer to a ammo can with latch or can I just leave it wrapped up the open spam can and pull as I need it?
    I "thought", that they came with a key ????? Will a P-38 work ?????

BogWalker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    P-38 isn't strong enough. I put a flat bladed screwdriver over the seam and hit the back of it with a rubber mallet. Not like you'd hit the end of a chisel, point handle of screwdriver away from you and hit the edge of the shank at the top close to you so that the edge of the head is pounded into the same and away from you. Sorry for the confusing directions, but if you get what I mean I've found this to work pretty well.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I've got an extra opener if you need one. I saw on for sale for $40 at a gun show once. I laughed at him..

I've bought a spam can of ammo for $45! (7.62x54R, and no, it was NOT last week)

Used to be if you bought a crate (2-spam cans) you got an opener with the sale.
    Can't remember the last time I saw an opener come with though.

william

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 3, 2011
    Fishers
    I miss when the cans were that cheap. I bought a bunch of 8mm Mauser in the wood crates and they all came with the openers. I couldn't believe that guy was trying to get $40 for one. He was telling me about how hard they are to find these days. Needless to say I didn't buy anything from him. I actually use an old crappy made in China chisel to open mine most of the time.

I've bought a spam can of ammo for $45! (7.62x54R, and no, it was NOT last week)

Used to be if you bought a crate (2-spam cans) you got an opener with the sale.
    Can't remember the last time I saw an opener come with though.

Top Bottom