• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Garb

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 4, 2009
    Richmond
    Ok so I went hiking with my dad and brothers this weekend, and I had to take care of business about halfway through the route. Of course, no bathrooms close, and no toilet paper, so I did it behind a tree and wiped with leaves. I guess my point is how many of you are putting tp in your bob? I mean, I would much rather wipe with toilet paper, but to me it would seem to take up too much room, and you would run out of it pretty quick anyways. I guess you could always save the used toilet paper and use it as a fire starter. :):

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    Not to come across condescending... well, ok, I will. Why on earth would you NOT carry TP? I mean, carefully used a month's supply weighs about 4oz and if you avoid buying the fluffy kind it would take up the same amount of room as a paperback book.

To be honest, it never crossed my mind that someone wouldn't have it in their BOB or any other hiking our outdoors pack.

Garb

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 4, 2009
    Richmond
    Not to come across condescending... well, ok, I will. Why on earth would you NOT carry TP? I mean, carefully used a month's supply weighs about 4oz.

To be honest, it never crossed my mind that someone wouldn't have it in their BOB or any other hiking our outdoors pack.

Yes, but I'm talking more about backpack space than weight... I'm sure I could handle the extra 4oz., but I just feel as if I have better stuff to occupy my pack with. Of course, as of right now, all I have is a three day pack, but I still feel as if grabbing a handful of leaves on the go is more efficient. :dunno:

Garb

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 4, 2009
    Richmond
    I would carry TP with me even if i had to wrap it around my head to carry it. I don't do crankybutt.

It really didn't bother me that bad... which was surprised me. I like roughing it, but I was afraid to try it. It was either use the leaves or go without undies the rest of the day haha, and it worked out ok. I wouldn't have a problem doing it again if I had to.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    Yes, but I'm talking more about backpack space than weight... I'm sure I could handle the extra 4oz., but I just feel as if I have better stuff to occupy my pack with. Of course, as of right now, all I have is a three day pack, but I still feel as if grabbing a handful of leaves on the go is more efficient. :dunno:

As I posted, if you avoid buying the fluffy stuff, it doesn't take much space at all. I know some folks out there have the toilet habit of using huge wads of tp (how do I know? Because I encounter their piles out while hiking all the freaking time!), but two wipes can be accomplished with as little as three squares each of quality tp. And the dense stuff (like you find on the huge rolls in bulk dispensers) doesn't take much room.
    Baby wipes are fine, but they too have bulk and added weight for minimal gain.

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    Repped. I can't believe I didn't think of that. :facepalm:

I wouldn't have either until we had our daughter. We litterally alway had a BOB with us at all times when she was a baby, and that included copious amounts of the baby wipes. The best ones are the freebie samples you can sometimes get. 20 wipes in a resealable package not much more than the size of a deck of playing cards.

IndyBeerman

Was a real life Beerman.....
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield

As handful of leafs in the middle of Jan (if you can find any) will nothing but a worthless mess. Now how do you feel about that TP in your BOB???

Famous words of Beavis......

"I need TP... for my Bunghole!"

Garb

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 4, 2009
    Richmond
    As handful of leafs in the middle of Jan (if you can find any) will nothing but a worthless mess. Now how do you feel about that TP in your BOB???

That is a good point... haha I need to contemplate this issue more. I have all my best ideas on the toilet. brb :D

Top Bottom