• ...and so much more!
  • danielocean03

Come in, Manacle Shark.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Hamilton County
    I'm interested in getting a pontoon boat. Does anyone here have one (or has previously owned one?)

I'm considering buying a used one, anything I should look out for? I don't need it to be crazy fast, what size is "adequate" for a pontoon?

Looking forward to the replies, thanks in advance.

:ingo:

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    What do you intend to use to pontoon for? I know that may seem like a stupid question but just like a gun, the intended purpose is important...

If you want to spend all day on it, just cruise the family around. If you have a cabin or something on the lake. If you want to go fast or pull small kids behind it for some reason. How many people do you want to put on it.

Last edited:

danielocean03

Come in, Manacle Shark.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Hamilton County
    What do you intend to use to pontoon for? I know that may seem like a stupid question but just like a gun, the intended purpose is important...

If you want to spend all day on it, just cruise the family around. If you have a cabin or something on the lake. If you want to go fast or pull small kids behind it for some reason. How many people do you want to put on it.

I'm married with kids, so at least 5 seats, maybe enough space for another family of 4-5 tops. I live in Geist near the reservoir, I'd primarily want to use the pontoon for cruising around there and fishing. Ideally I'd like one that has a convertible top so I can lower it and fish more easily without worrying about hooking the awning with a backcast.

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    Good deal! I'm not going to offer any advice I wouldn't say into a brand of boat, as to be honest I just have a fish and ski in my life right now and no longer a pontoon.

So it's all personal preference but I'll tell you what I think is important and may apply to you.
    Having a top where people can get out of the sun if they choose is a huge plus! Being able to add a grill or at the very least a large cooler as well as fitting all of your guests is a must. (I am assuming you will be spending a large portion of your day out and going to the back yard at a given isn't an option).

Another things I will say that some may laugh at, but I enjoy having more of an open deck. Rather than having lots of built in seats that take up more room than necessary having a few and then having an open deck where you can have your own chairs is a real plus to me. Then you have room to move things and do as you wish when you want. This is great to anchor out and enjoy the sun and float. It also is a huge plus for when you want to fish off of it. Having spent the day on both I can't stress how much I enjoy the extra space. In addition to it making for a more comfortable day they also tend to be a bit cheaper but YMMV. Again these are my opinions and thoughts. Sorry I'm not offering up any brands for you to look at, but I will say that the mercury outboard motor on the current boat I am very happy with!

danielocean03

Come in, Manacle Shark.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Hamilton County
    Good deal! I'm not going to offer any advice I wouldn't say into a brand of boat, as to be honest I just have a fish and ski in my life right now and no longer a pontoon.

So it's all personal preference but I'll tell you what I think is important and may apply to you.
    Having a top where people can get out of the sun if they choose is a huge plus! Being able to add a grill or at the very least a large cooler as well as fitting all of your guests is a must. (I am assuming you will be spending a large portion of your day out and going to the back yard at a given isn't an option).

Another things I will say that some may laugh at, but I enjoy having more of an open deck. Rather than having lots of built in seats that take up more room than necessary having a few and then having an open deck where you can have your own chairs is a real plus to me. Then you have room to move things and do as you wish when you want. This is great to anchor out and enjoy the sun and float. It also is a huge plus for when you want to fish off of it. Having spent the day on both I can't stress how much I enjoy the extra space. In addition to it making for a more comfortable day they also tend to be a bit cheaper but YMMV. Again these are my opinions and thoughts. Sorry I'm not offering up any brands for you to look at, but I will say that the mercury outboard motor on the current boat I am very happy with!

:yesway: Thank you for your thoughts!

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    For what you want at the very least a 24' "Toon" would be needed.
    That is enough space for your requirements but more is always nice.
    Get enough power to push it around with a full load on it. The 26' we had was 60HP when we got it and it was just not enough.Went to an 80 and that pushed it around the lake nicely.
    Look at the trailer closely. Make sure it has had maintenance. Bearing buddy's full tires in good order etc.
    Look at the light wiring as well.

We eventually went the the open deck concept. It was far better to have the space.

dprimm

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 13, 2013
    Just West of Indianapolis
    My dad has had a couple of them (he lives on a lake). When they bought their latest one several years ago, they paid EXTRA to NOT have carpeting on the boat. Since fishing is done a lot off this boat, I hate to imagine clean-up with carpeting. Plus, the thing sits out -- imagine going to your boat after a rainstorm. Carpet would be nasty wet and not fun to be on.

Are you leaving it in the lake? Or putting in / out?

One suggestion if you have not had a boat (money sinkhole) before .. try renting a few times and see if the family actually enjoys it. Try before you buy. If they hate it, or will only do it a couple times a year, renting might be a better option.

danielocean03

Come in, Manacle Shark.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Hamilton County
    My dad has had a couple of them (he lives on a lake). When they bought their latest one several years ago, they paid EXTRA to NOT have carpeting on the boat. Since fishing is done a lot off this boat, I hate to imagine clean-up with carpeting. Plus, the thing sits out -- imagine going to your boat after a rainstorm. Carpet would be nasty wet and not fun to be on.

Are you leaving it in the lake? Or putting in / out?

One suggestion if you have not had a boat (money sinkhole) before .. try renting a few times and see if the family actually enjoys it. Try before you buy. If they hate it, or will only do it a couple times a year, renting might be a better option.

There's a place at the marina that rents, we've considered that as well. Thanks for the advice.

danielocean03

Come in, Manacle Shark.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Hamilton County
    For what you want at the very least a 24' "Toon" would be needed.
    That is enough space for your requirements but more is always nice.
    Get enough power to push it around with a full load on it. The 26' we had was 60HP when we got it and it was just not enough.Went to an 80 and that pushed it around the lake nicely.
    Look at the trailer closely. Make sure it has had maintenance. Bearing buddy's full tires in good order etc.
    Look at the light wiring as well.

We eventually went the the open deck concept. It was far better to have the space.

Thanks for the advice, Tim! #pontooncheeseburgers

danielocean03

Come in, Manacle Shark.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Hamilton County

I'll keep an eye on them, this beauty caught my attention on their site:

(Yes, I know it's not a pontoon)

nv60381_1.jpg

Fountain 2009 47 Lightning

KJQ6945

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2012
    Texas
    We got our first pontoon in 2012. I've always had bass boats, but the wife wanted something with some shade. We have a 22' Southbay CR522. It has a 115 horse Mercury, and with just the wife and I on it will run about 30mph. Fast enough to ski or tube behind, big enough to entertain on. It's rated for about 12 people.
    Unless you go to a really high end one that stores the Bimini top in a fake radar arch, they all pretty much fold down.

Last edited:

db1959

Resident Dumbass I
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 4, 2011
    In a garage
    Ask db, he loves boats. :yesway:
    LIAR!

One like KJQ posted would do what you wanted. Be wary of older pontoons that have the smaller toons, they tend to nosedive easily. Bennington are good pontoons. I think they are built in Fort Wayne.

Mercury engines are crap. Yamaha is they only way to go. :)

Power Boats Manufacturers, Used Power Boats Values, Power Boats Prices & Specs | NADAguides if you see one that interests you, go to NADA guides and check it out to see if you are getting a fair deal.

If you have one in mind PM me the specs and I will give you my opinion because I love boats. :D

Top Bottom