• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cartmanfan15

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Sep 23, 2010
    Seymour, IN
    So, saw a polymer lower for sale by New Frontier. They are really cheap, but I don't like to shoot very many polymer handguns because I feel the recoil more. Anyone know much about these lowers? Checked out the website and they are selling complete lowers for about $109. Seems cheap, but I'm wondering if this is a "get what you paid for" moment. I read they are lighter, but wanting some feedback from anyone who may have shot them. Here is a link to their site.

https://www.newfrontierarmory.com/catalog/

mikefraz

Master
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Mar 23, 2011
    Lakeville
    Bought one from a member on here and it shot like it should when I put an upper on it. Had a really tight fit with the upper. I also liked the trigger. It was a lot better than I thought it would be. Im going to put an MOE+ grip on it and call it a day as far as the lower goes. My advice is to watch the torture test vids on YouTube. It really gave me confidence.

Archer46176

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 21, 2012
    South East of Indy
    I have handled a few but never shot one. I know many of us including me shoot polymer framed pistols but I just can't wrap my head around a polymer lower for an AR. I am sure one day they will work their way into the mainstream though.

BrandonHtwo0

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 14, 2012
    Portage, IN
    I've heard nothing but good things about polymer lowers, including those by Plum Crazy.

Originally I thought maybe the hammer/trigger pin holes would wear out faster than a metal lower... til i saw this: [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NaFevpTka-I[/ame]

They have a whole series on torture tests they run on these lowers. Granted, these tests are comming from the manufacturer, so I kinda have to be a bit skeptical as always... :D

Trav43

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 28, 2012
    Northern Shelby county
    I have one, it is lighter and you do feel the recoil more, but not that much more. As far as the internal parts wearing out any LPK will in it so replace them if they do. I looked at it like this, you cant buy a stripped lower and stock for that price. I am actually thinking about one of there pistol lowers for a 9mm or something off the wall project.

AuburnGuy

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 3, 2012
    Auburn, Indiana
    I have a bushmaster carbon model (Christmas present from wife... don't judge). I see no problem with polymer/carbon/plastic. I see no difference in recoil between my carbon and an aluminum AR. It is .223 so the recoil seems minimal for me. I guess this is just my opinion but it has never failed me thus far. Ran over 2K through it and still holding up.

mikefraz

Master
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Mar 23, 2011
    Lakeville
    And as far as it "holding up to the abuse", the lower itself has relatively low stress put on it for the most part. To me, it was a no brainer. I'm not going to be taking this thing over seas and betting my life on it. I'm going to be punching paper with it. For that, it serves it's purpose. It also does it for a far cheaper price.

Shootin'IN

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2010
    S.W. Indiana
    I have owned one of the Plum Crazy lowers for a year or so & haven't had even one problem with it. I have 1000s of rounds through it now & it just keeps on chuggin'.
    xg9x92.jpg

I see AIM has a complete poly lower for only $119.95. I may have a need for another if I can find a pistol cal. upper to hunt deer with.;)

Omni Polymer Multi. Cal. AR Lower Receiver Assembly

cartmanfan15

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Sep 23, 2010
    Seymour, IN
    Interesting. Thanks for the info. Building an AR in 300 blackout, so I was wondering if these would hold up. Just seems strange to have polymer as part of a lower. Maybe I'm just used to standard AR 15 lowers.

jeepfreek

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 16, 2012
    I'm glad you posted this question because I was wondering the exact same thing. I think my AR build will be starting sooner than later now... Thanks!

Martin Draco

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 24, 2010
    Just a bit of advice: Do NOT take a polymer lower out shooting in freezing temps. I broke one of the front take down pin ears on an Armalite AR180 B, a few years back. Unfortunately with the AR 180 B, you can not get replacement receivers.

jeepfreek

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 16, 2012
    Not being able to take them out in cold weather (freezing) is a big turn off for me. If I can't use it when I want (or need) then it's gonna be metal for me. Never even thought of cold weather affecting it.

FranktheGDTank

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 20, 2011
    Indianapolis
    It's crazy cheap for a complete lower at 109 on gunbroker. I was considering it for my dpms upper to make a stripped down lightweight ar with plastic grips and just BIUS'. They say the lowers weigh almost exactly half as much as aluminum lowers.

Checkfoo

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Apr 8, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Posted this in another forum:

I've got a New Frontier on order. Now I just need the upper....hmmmm. Cowoker/friend has run his into the ground. Took the testing way past normal every day or anything you'd deal with at a carbine class. He even dropped in a Kies(?) trigger and some other metal parts. I know alot of AR fans are hardcore against the polymer lowers, but then think the SCAR / ACR / Etc.. is the Sh@t....... I truly think these $100 lowers are incredible and allow you to build a reliable gun for less than a WASRs street price.....but we shall see. First hand knowledge to follow, hopefully soon.

Last edited:

Checkfoo

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Apr 8, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Just a bit of advice: Do NOT take a polymer lower out shooting in freezing temps. I broke one of the front take down pin ears on an Armalite AR180 B, a few years back. Unfortunately with the AR 180 B, you can not get replacement receivers.

More info please. As in all things polymer or just the type used on the Armalite. I'll be shooting my glock, and hopefully a polymer AR this winter in individual and three gun, but I guess I haven't researched the limits of polymer below freezing Thanks.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom