• Total voters
    • Poll closed .

mrdryoung

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Poll: Who's the more skilled deer hunter?

All things considered equal such as the same hunting environment, hunting setup, additional equipment, etc.. What requires more skill?

Had to edit the original question in order to reduce the hunting ethics responses.

Last edited:

Tydeeh22

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Mar 7, 2012
    Indiana
    40 yards isnt special with a bow anymore though. :(

the 200 yard shot is more impressive.. iron sights would make me even happier.

IndianaSlim

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    I vote c. The guy who enjoys and respects the outdoors while he's there and introduces the next generation to hunting responsibly.

pirate

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jul 2, 2011
    Depends...Does this poll consider hunting to be where both "hunters" sit in a stand/blind and watch things roam by? Or do they actually hunt the game?

x10

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Martinsville, IN
    Big problem with this poll, if the only measure of your skill is the size of the horns then you are not a hunter, This is 100% the problem with what people think deer hunting is about.

This is not about hunting this is about putting some hubris on your wall, which is the total not hunting.

I don't know what to say to the trophy hunting only crowd. The Horns don't make you a better hunter. Killing a bunch of does isn't the mark of a good hunter.

Enjoying the woods, feeding your family, taking care of the herd of deer and all other game makes you a hunter.

It really makes me sick some of the emphasis that is put on horns only.

I don't care if you hate me and think i'm an idiot. At the end of the day I'm at peace with the way I hunt. I've taken 180class deer and not trophy deer, I've hunted Every year for over 30yrs and taken every game animal legal in Indiana, and some in other states. I have things on the wall but they have more meaning than the size of the "insert trophy gauge"

jmiller676

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 16, 2009
    18 feet up
    Big problem with this poll, if the only measure of your skill is the size of the horns then you are not a hunter, This is 100% the problem with what people think deer hunting is about.

This is not about hunting this is about putting some hubris on your wall, which is the total not hunting.

I don't know what to say to the trophy hunting only crowd. The Horns don't make you a better hunter. Killing a bunch of does isn't the mark of a good hunter.

Enjoying the woods, feeding your family, taking care of the herd of deer and all other game makes you a hunter.

It really makes me sick some of the emphasis that is put on horns only.

I don't care if you hate me and think i'm an idiot. At the end of the day I'm at peace with the way I hunt. I've taken 180class deer and not trophy deer, I've hunted Every year for over 30yrs and taken every game animal legal in Indiana, and some in other states. I have things on the wall but they have more meaning than the size of the "insert trophy gauge"

Couldn't have put it better myself. :yesway:

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    A person of mediocre skill on a great spot, with a decent amount of patience can kill big deer repeatedly.

I met a nice guy, an actual gentleman, who killed two P&Y deer in back to back yrs, wearing blue jeans and sitting on a bucket. The last one looked like a muledeer, and a nice one at that ..........and was shot with a borrowed bow, from a TM hunter rest, fingers.......and the bow didn't fit him.

Both deer shot around 15 yards........along a fence. Same spot.

Family owmed 1500 acres. Just watched the deer do their thing, when the wind was right take a sit by the fence.

Excellent deer, nice guy..........but even he said it was "the spot".

trapperDave

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Morristown, IN
    the best hunter is the one that can get it done with primitive equipment and arrow an unsuspecting buck or doe from feet away rather than yards...and do it year in and year out

Willie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 24, 2010
    Warrick County
    The "better hunter" is the one that can consistently kill whatever he/she is pursuing NO MATTER WHAT HUNTING TOOL HE/SHE IS USING. Give the "better hunter" a spear, slingshot or just a long knife and he/she will kill something....

Hoosier Carry

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 20, 2012
    In the Woods
    When I read this I was thinking that the OP was just trying to start a friendly little boxing match between Bowhunters and Gun Hunters. Guess I did not take him seriously. Thought it was going to be a fun thread.:boxing:

mrdryoung

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I should not have put the P&Y and B&C portion in there originally. It was simply an attempt at leveling the playing field based on a set of criteria that are currently in place. It would have been better to say a mature doe for each; to avoid the "trophy hunter" accusations.

Anyway, I agree that the best hunter is the one that does it responsibly, legally, enjoys the outdoors, uses the meat, understands his effects on the environment, etc. etc…

For those who felt the question was not the best, do you not have an opinion based solely on the scenario put forth? Or, do you simply answer all polls with your own questions and answers. Unfortunately, these answers are not counted in the poll…:D

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    The tool a person uses isn't as important to me. The distance with whatever tool used has to do with the proficiency of the person with their tool and not so much hunting.

I'm never impressed by the guys that just kill everything, nor am I impressed by the guys who let everything walk in hopes of some animal with bigger horns walking by. What impresses me are the guys & gals who find the animal that's just right for them, whatever that fit.

I am always impressed by the guys who take a kid hunting and I look forward to exlpaining how it all works to my kids some day as well. I'm happy for bow hunters who enjoy the sport and I'm happy for gun hunters who enjoy the sport.

The hunter who has impressed me the most was a vietnam vet who took other injured vets out into the woods hunting. That guy did everything he could to bring a little joy to guys that have had it pretty rough in life. To me that guy is more of a hunter than I'll ever be regardless of whether he uses a bow, rifle, or shotgun, and if he kills a 12pt state record or a two year old doe. He's a better man because of how he uses hunting.

Top Bottom