POLL Which aircraft is the best Air to Air brawler?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Which aircraft is best at Air to Air combat?

• Total voters
    • Poll closed .

Rocket

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Jun 7, 2011
    Whiteland
    I went with F-15. Awesome track record. Still in the air 40 years later. Plus my uncle flew one out of BT Germany in the Cold War. I got to get up close and personal with his plane. I was 12. Made a Huge impression. So I might be biased.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    So which of the choices can track and fire on the most threats at the same time? F-14? F-15? F-22?

rhino out!

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    Sukhoi has made some awesome planes, mostly F16 copies, but the F14 can take down six target aircraft without even seeing them (visually). That astounds me. And that was 70s technology. Be in awe of an F14 with modern engines and avionics. The P51 was great in its day, but its day has passed.

BOTA56

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2014
    Columbia City
    I guess the gamer in me went with a 1 v 1 scenario. If I would have been thinking like everyone else on the planet (apparently) I might have chosen differently. :D

eric001

Vaguely well-known member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 3, 2011
    Indianapolis
    Interestingly, Top 10 ranked the F22 as the 10th best fighter...for rather ridiculous reasons. But if there's any doubt about its prowess in the air, check out the video, at about the 2:50 mark. 2 F22's vs 16 F15's and STILL not even close to a fair fight. To me at least, that kind of takes the wind out of the F15's sails rather dramatically.

On a side note, these same folks refused to give the Abrams M1 main battle tank the top position because they said it would never meet its equal on the battlefield...which I think was the whole point of building the thing that way, so it wouldn't HAVE to get into fair fights. Same deal with how I look at the F22--if it's a fair fight, then somebody already screwed up pretty badly.

The Best Fighter Aircraft Ever Made (Full Documentary) - YouTube

Femme Assise

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 9, 2012
    I voted for the F22 raptor, but I would say the Russian SU-35 is overall superior. Air maneuverability is excellent, Range is increased (2237 miles vs 1839 miles) and speed is increased (1553mph vs 1498mph). If things heat up in Ukraine maybe we'll get the chance to find out.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I voted for the F22 raptor, but I would say the Russian SU-35 is overall superior. Air maneuverability is excellent, Range is increased (2237 miles vs 1839 miles) and speed is increased (1553mph vs 1498mph). If things heat up in Ukraine maybe we'll get the chance to find out.

Raptor is yet to be proven in conflict. I have no doubt it is a complete dog fighter but we will see.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Sukhoi has made some awesome planes, mostly F16 copies, but the F14 can take down six target aircraft without even seeing them (visually). That astounds me. And that was 70s technology. Be in awe of an F14 with modern engines and avionics. The P51 was great in its day, but its day has passed.

Only the cost of maintenance on a fleet of F-14s starting in 1974 could stop that plane!!

Plus, it's just cool with those variable geometry wings.

I doubt if published numbers on top speed are 100% reliable. With some aircraft, only the guys who actually flew them will ever know the truth about how fast they could go.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Michael.
    Top Bottom