• ...and so much more!
  • RobbyMaQ

#BarnWoodStrong
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Lizton
    'Who he did not vote for' must have been a really long list... mbills, hoosierdoc, rhino, stephen hawking, geddy lee, sarah conner, etc
    Must be a fast talker

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    'Who he did not vote for' must have been a really long list... mbills, hoosierdoc, rhino, stephen hawking, geddy lee, sarah conner, etc
    Must be a fast talker

Don't forget Jebediah Springfield!

A teacher who can name everyone for whom they did not vote must know how Santa Claus can deliver toys to every good boy and girl in the world in one night.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    I had a teacher in grade school that was a Mets fan. I come from a Braves household, and Dale Murphy is a saint. Nobody ever thought to rough up my teacher over his distasteful views, and the Mets never became my team of choice.

Roguelet

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 2, 2015
    Montgomery County
    My daughter is in 4th grade, and she has been coming home from school saying some pretty specific things about the candidates. In her case, it's not coming from the teachers- it's coming from the other students.

We've tried to teach the kids that they should gather their own facts and make their own informed political decisions, NEVER just blindly follow what someone else tells them to think. I remind my daughter of this every time I hear her talking about something that some kid at school has said. I'm not thrilled that there are 4th graders pushing their (or their parents') political views around, but I can't stop my daughter from talking to the other kids.

My son, who is in 9th grade, has been asking general questions about the primary election procedure, party differences, etc, so I don't get the impression that anyone has been trying to feed him specific candidate rhetoric.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    The U.S. government has sources of money other than taxes. The question asked if the government had its own supply of money. It does. Further, saying taxes that are paid into the U.S. Treasury are not the government's supply of money is like saying that when you get paid, the money you put in the bank isn't your money.

The money that I put in the bank, I work to earn. If I displease my employer, I lose my employment and the income I earn from them.

The money the US Gov't puts in the treasury is not earned, it is taken at gunpoint. When was the last time that the US Gov't had a high approval rating, indicating that the majority of their employers were pleased with their actions?

Which sources of money have they that do not require extorting from the electorate?

Blessings,
    Bill

RobbyMaQ

#BarnWoodStrong
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Lizton
    I had a teacher in grade school that was a Mets fan. I come from a Braves household, and Dale Murphy is a saint. Nobody ever thought to rough up my teacher over his distasteful views, and the Mets never became my team of choice.

WTH? Who in their right mind brings up baseball into a serious discussion such as this?

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    I had a discussion with a couple of folks standing next to me in line to vote today, and among the subjects discussed (we were in line for over an hour!) we touched on the fact that when we were in school, we were not taught what to think, but rather how to think. When a teacher injects personal views on contentious subjects, any parent who does not have similar beliefs is going to take issue.

When I used to teach for Appleseed, we made clear at the beginning, and held to it, that the only politics to be discussed that weekend were to be those of April, 1775. What parallels the students drew were their own. We only encouraged them to "get involved", be that as an instructor, a volunteer, or even outside the Appleseed program. I'm aware of one who was asked to instruct, and instead ran for city council (and won, IIRC)

Second grade, all you're going to get in a mock election is what the kids have heard on TV or at the supper table. They don't, and IMHO shouldn't, know the details, whys and wherefores of Bernie vs. Hillary vs. Trump vs. the American People. I think they SHOULD know at least the basics of our government, such as what a republic is, the three branches, etc.

For the adults, I'll place a different challenge here: There is a quiz located at The BBHQ Great American Civics Quiz that I'd like to see how people do completing. You are on the honor system that you won't look up answers to artificially inflate your scores. Be aware that this quiz has some very easy and some very difficult questions. (ETA: and one wrong answer as well, at this writing.)

Dosproduction, I'm not trying to hijack your thread. I see this as relevant, in that we as adults must be knowledgeable about civics before we can expect our children and grandchildren to have a working knowledge of it. That said, if you prefer, drop me a PM and ask, and I'll move the civics quiz answers to another thread.

Blessings,
    Bill

Missed 3 but one of them was the year of the magna carta, my shot in the dark answer was 1496 but hey, I was off LESS than 300 years!!!!:rockwoot:

Top Bottom