Not open for further replies.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    Why? All of the votes for Nixon are because of one incident. And we all know that one incident defines everything about a person's life.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    It's got to hurt beating out Nixon tho. By a lot!

Why? All of the votes for Nixon are because of one incident. And we all know that one incident defines everything about a person's life.

Ya. You conspire to have people break in and spy on your political adversaries, you obstruct justice and abuse power to try to cover it up, you get caught because you're so damned paranoid that you taped EVERY conversation in the oval office, and you never live that down. :dunno:

Look, I'm not saying more than I'm saying. I'm just saying that Nixon indeed proved to be a criminal. The tapes proved that he was complicit in Watergate, obstructed justice, abused power, and tried to cover it up.

So, my only point is that it has to hurt to be the president who got more votes for worst president, when there's a guy in the running who would have been removed from office and jailed if he hadn't resigned and been pardoned. I'm not saying Obama doesn't deserve the worst president award. It's saying a lot when you're the worst even with Nixon in the group.

I'm actually surprised that Carter didn't score higher. I thought he was the worst next to Obama, then Clinton, then Nixon. So, in my book, there are three worse presidents than the proven criminal one.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Ya. You conspire to have people break in and spy on your political adversaries, you obstruct justice and abuse power to try to cover it up, you get caught because you're so damned paranoid that you taped EVERY conversation in the oval office, and you never live that down. :dunno:

Look, I'm not saying more than I'm saying. I'm just saying that Nixon indeed proved to be a criminal. The tapes proved that he was complicit in Watergate, obstructed justice, abused power, and tried to cover it up.

johnny-ramone.jpg

nixonbowling.jpg

lebowski-nixon1.jpg

Screen%20Shot%202016-02-17%20at%202.png

:)

Huzrjim

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Nov 6, 2008
    Monroe County

So, my only point is that it has to hurt to be the president who got more votes for worst president, when there's a guy in the running who would have been removed from office and jailed if he hadn't resigned and been pardoned. I'm not saying Obama doesn't deserve the worst president award. It's saying a lot when you're the worst even with Nixon in the group.

I'm actually surprised that Carter didn't score higher. I thought he was the worst next to Obama, then Clinton, then Nixon. So, in my book, there are three worse presidents than the proven criminal one.

"You conspire to have people break in and SPY on your political adversaries, you obstruct justice and abuse power to try to cover it up"

Seems like we have captured a great deal of Obama's legacy as well in that sentence. Using the intelligence apparatus and trying to use the FISA courts for political purposes, for instance.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    "You conspire to have people break in and SPY on your political adversaries, you obstruct justice and abuse power to try to cover it up"

Seems like we have captured a great deal of Obama's legacy as well in that sentence. Using the intelligence apparatus and trying to use the FISA courts for political purposes, for instance.

Well, that's only what's been reported. There could be anywhere from way more to way less to it. But with Nixon there were audio tapes that told exactly what Nixon's involvement was. I have no doubt that Nixon would have been removed from office and if the prosecution went further, he could have seen jail time. Get that kind of evidence on Obama, or Bush, or Clinton, and they could very well have earned jail time too.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    Bush Jr is more recent. Most of those voting probably weren't born when Carter held office, let alone Nixon. They know what they've seen, and everything else might as well be Washington and Jefferson.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Bush Jr is more recent. Most of those voting probably weren't born when Carter held office, let alone Nixon. They know what they've seen, and everything else might as well be Washington and Jefferson.

I think you've hit it head on. I hear people maybe a decade or so younger than me talk about how great Jimmy Carter was. I'm like WTF? You weren't old enough to crap without diapers yet. How could you possibly have any sense of that period? Everything Jimmy Carter touched turned to ****.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI

Well, that's only what's been reported. There could be anywhere from way more to way less to it. But with Nixon there were audio tapes that told exactly what Nixon's involvement was. I have no doubt that Nixon would have been removed from office and if the prosecution went further, he could have seen jail time. Get that kind of evidence on Obama, or Bush, or Clinton, and they could very well have earned jail time too.

So now we obfuscate the issue by bringing in Bush and Clinton, straw men. Nixon's legacy is marred by one incident. He accomplished many things during his tenure.

I believe many, given the option of one vote would have a difficult time choosing between Carter and Obama. I know I would. I do believe that Obama rises to the top. Like :poop: in a septic tank.

Having served under both Nixon and Carter I'll take Nixon any day

Who?

I agree that most likely younger folk just do not remember "malaise".

jbombelli

ITG Certified
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Brownsburg, IN
    So now we obfuscate the issue by bringing in Bush and Clinton, straw men. Nixon's legacy is marred by one incident. He accomplished many things during his tenure.

I believe many, given the option of one vote would have a difficult time choosing between Carter and Obama. I know I would. I do believe that Obama rises to the top. Like :poop: in a septic tank.

Who?

I agree that most likely younger folk just do not remember "malaise".

Just put a sweater on if you can't afford heat.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish

Obfuscate? Straw men? What are you talking about? All I'm saying is it's especially embarrassing to be picked as the worst president by a lot, when there's a proven criminal in the mix. It says a lot about how bad Obama could be. The point about the other presidents was just that if we had tapes of their conversations, we may have found they broke laws too.

But if we're gonna talk about Nixon, okay. He did some good things. He wasn't one of my favorite presidents though. He wasn't particularly conservative. And it turns out he was indeed crooked. But all said, as I wrote earlier, I'd rank him as 4th worse since FDR. I'd actually rank FDR as worse than any of them, but it would be a pretty close bet between FDR, Obama, and Carter.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    You seemed to assume "that they all do it", so, were that true it would make Nixon no worse than any other.

I agree the worst would be Roosevelt, Obama and Carter in that order for the amount of damage they did to the country.
    Carter and Obama would have been a dead heat except that the people came to their senses and did not give him a second term.

In the case of Nixon, far from being a saint, I believe it is wrong to pick his worst day and forget everything else. Kind of the way Trump will be remembered when the country resumes it's nose dive. I do hope not.

I just realized this is supposed to be a picture thread this is my last post in this thread that is not a picture. Sorry folks. (at least until someone or I hijack it again)

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    You seemed to assume "that they all do it", so, were that true it would make Nixon no worse than any other.

I agree the worst would be Roosevelt, Obama and Carter in that order for the amount of damage they did to the country.
    Carter and Obama would have been a dead heat except that the people came to their senses and did not give him a second term.

In the case of Nixon, far from being a saint, I believe it is wrong to pick his worst day and forget everything else. Kind of the way Trump will be remembered when the country resumes it's nose dive. I do hope not.

I just realized this is supposed to be a picture thread this is my last post in this thread that is not a picture. Sorry folks. (at least until someone or I hijack it again)
    I didn't intend that as "that they all do it", I'm just saying we don't know what they did in secret. We do know what Nixon did in secret because his secrets were revealed with the tapes.

Carter was a bumbling fool and couldn't get anything done. So he didn't really ruin the nation permanently. In fact he did it a favor by conditioning the nation to want something radically different. And that gave us Reagan. Obama did manage to harm America. We need no further evidence needed than the ACA.

Alpo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    Indy Metro Area
    Yeah....Obama claiming all those WMD's in Iraq and then not goin' after Usama. He was a putz.

Obama made a lot of mistakes, but I sort of look at him as the janitor following the elephant with a broom and garbage can.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom