Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    18835736_463995810616029_8844396559894631259_n.jpg

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    Why would common law define the age of a biological process beginning? ...but that appears to be the answer.

My guess is that because puberty was when you legally became an adult, it was easiest to set a age rather then make everyone drop trou. But :dunno:.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    And I'm able to find such treasures, because I have no wife, and have no life.

Though I do have to get off my butt and go replace some fence posts and panels.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    Well, majority can be defined by age without defining puberty.

Come on, you're an attorney. Do politicians ever do things the simple way?

But for a very slightly more serious answer/explanation. They didn't define the age of majority, that was already defined as having reached puberty. They defined at what age it can be presumed. Under common law at the time a 13 yr old male can be presumed to have not reached the age of majority aka puberty but if he has he can prove it if he wishes, the reverse with a 14 yr old male. Similar to IN laws regarding alcohol and tobacco sales, if the purchaser appears to X yrs old the seller can presume they are of age to purchase alcohol/tobacco without checking ID. ETA It's probably possible if not probable a person who has reached 18 yrs old can sue to claim they are not of the age of majority and require their parent(s)/guardian require supporting them, although that should require they still live under their parent(s)/guardian rules.

Or sorta like the age of majority is figured today, a person is presumed to be mature/aka have reached the age of majority at 18 for most things, but it can be fought in court to prove it either way. A person under 18 can go to court to become emancipated but they must prove that they mature/capable enough. Or for the reverse a parent or other must prove they are not to keep them from becoming emancipated. Or even a person who has reached 18 yrs old can possibly sue their parents/guardian that they have not reached the maturity/capability to be considered to having reached the age of majority and require them to still provide for them.

Last edited:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom