• Status
    Not open for further replies.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    I think they had better run those stats again. A gang member on the south side of Chicago slinging H on a rival gang's corner doesn't have a 97% chance of being killed by anyone of any race. I think I know what they are trying to say....but they aren't saying it.

Not sure its that far off, either. Using these stats https://ucr.fbi.gov/crime-in-the-u....f_vicitm_by_race_and_sex_of_offender_2013.xls which popped up during a cursory search (from 2013), Im seeing:

2491 Black or African American murder victims. 2245 were murdered by a Black or African American. That's just over 90%. Blacks murdered by whites come in at just under 7.6%. A murdered Black or AfAm in those statistics is nearly 12 times as likely to have been murdered by a Black or AfAm

It ain't 97%, but it ain't decimation either

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    They did not say "of those who were murdered". That is the critical mistake.

I agree that it is not well-said. But what I took from it is that those percentages are the probabilities when someone who is black dies from being shot of who did the shooting.

Well written or not, this applies only to those people who are murder victims, not to all people of all black people or all black football players. And no, that cannot be implied.

If I were to say that stats state that you have a 50% chance of being in a car accident caused by distracted driving tonight, that does not mean that IF you are in an accident, there is a 50% chance that it was caused by distracted driving. It means that you have a 50% chance of being involved in an accident caused by distracted driving. Your chance of being in an accident for any reason tonight is probably under 1%. Likewise, the chance of any person being a murder victim is under 1%.

This is not being pedantic. Stated as it is, it is false.

Last edited:

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    Memes have to be one hundred and sixty seven percent correct to pass the meme moderator.

sharkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2009
    Hognuts' Liberal ****hole
    208325_5_.png

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    If ANYONE has a 97% chance of being murdered, they [STRIKE]best stay in tonight....and forever[/STRIKE] [most likely are scheduled to testify against a Clinton].

I will concede the point on narrow, statistical grounds. My point of the 2013 data indicating if you were Black or AfAm and murdered, that it was almost twelve times as likely to have been done by a Black of AfAm as by a white person stands

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Of those murdered 90% will have been murdered by their same “group”.
    Reread the above meme with that in mind.

I was going to say that I knew what they were trying to say, but I’m not confident the person who made it knew what he was saying....or was not intentionally misleading. Maybe he believes that every black person has a 97% chance of being murdered by a black person or maybe he wants to make one racial group appear hyper-violent.

Crazy me, if you are trying to say something, say it. If one wants to communicate, communicate. Don’t say something that kinda sounds similar but is completely wrong.

Last edited:

Hkindiana

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 19, 2010
    Southern Hills
    I was going to say that I knew what they were trying to say, but I’m not confident the person who made it knew what he was saying....or was not intentionally misleading. Maybe he believes that every black person has a 97% chance of being murdered by a black person or maybe he wants to make one racial group appear hyper-violent.

Crazy me, if you are trying to say something, say it. If one wants to communicate, communicate. Don’t say something that kinda sounds similar but is completely wrong.

So, what are you REALLY trying to say?

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Yes - it is true - sometimes you have to use your bean when someone else is less than perfect.

Let me first say that I am not commenting, in the least, on the INGO member that posted the meme. You see a meme, you post it. No big deal.

I do, however, have a big issue with the meme itself. I decided to run the numbers and discovered something interesting. It appears that the 97% number was based upon the percentage of murder victims who were black who were killed by black people. As I mentioned above, this is not what the meme says. It says that, I assume ("we"?) black people have a 97% chance of being killed by another black person. As we hopefully all now know, that is not true.

In reality, assuming the 97% number and a homicide rate of 19 homicides per 100,000 people, a black person has a .018% chance of being killed by another black person.

The inaccuracy does not end there, however, because while the meme maker used the inaccurately described "97% chance of being killed" for black people, he used a completely different statistic for police killings. In 2016, there were 7,881 black people killed by homicide. 233 of those were killed by police. That is NOT .0045%. It is 3%. This means that using the same homicide stats, for the overall black population, the chance of being killed by a police officer is .00057%.

But a Meme that says: "We have a .00057% chance of being killed by a cop and a .018% of being killed by another black," just doesn't have a ring to it.

Apparently a meme that said "Of black homicide victims, 3% were killed by cops and 97% were killed by another black", just doesn't have a ring to it.

...and of course it ignores that a significant percentage of police officers are black.

I suppose if "the stats don't matter, it's the point that's being made" is the ethos...how can the point be made when the stats are used incorrectly? This isn't really hyper-technical. I'm supposed to just know what the guy who made up the meme meant? Really? He used 97% instead of .00057% in one instance and .0045% instead of 3% in another meaning that he was skewing the stats in 2 different directions, vastly overstating the chances of being killed by a black person and vastly understating the chances of being killed by police is we assume he meant "of homicide victims". I don't know why. I only know what he said and what the real stats are.

And with that, I'm done.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom