Indy
    earth.jpg

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    For those non-arbors, how many trees does $7,500 buy you? How much acreage is consumed by those trees?

I doubt the carbon filter plant and trees have the same lifespan, so, how long does it take the plant to remove 900 tons of carbon? How long until $7,500 worth of newly planted trees consume 900 tons of carbon?

Does that $7,500 include labor?

;)

So how many mature trees will be cut down during the process of clearing the site for the plant? Might that not affect that equation? Leadeye is (always) right; a field full of undisturbed mature trees might be more efficient at removing carbon but they ain't makin' nobody no money.

And the trees don't need to do something with the carbon they capture, they use it for construction. Are the industrial plant's advocates including the costs of deep well injection for sequestration? Trees are fire and forget, no employees required

If yer gonna do the math, include all the variables
    :)

ETA: By no means do I assert that my list of variables is comprehensive

Slapstick

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 29, 2010
    So how many mature trees will be cut down during the process of clearing the site for the plant? Might that not affect that equation? Leadeye is (always) right; a field full of undisturbed mature trees might be more efficient at removing carbon but they ain't makin' nobody no money.

And the trees don't need to do something with the carbon they capture, they use it for construction. Are the industrial plant's advocates including the costs of deep well injection for sequestration? Trees are fire and forget, no employees required

Actually no trees were harmed. From the article on it , "Gebald said his team installed 18 carbon dioxide collectors on the roof of a garbage incineration plant outside Zurich. Powered by wasted heat from the incinerator, the collectors use fans to suck ambient air into filters, which absorb carbon dioxide. The filters are heated and the carbon dioxide is removed and piped into nearby greenhouses, which will use 900 metric tons of captured carbon to grow crops each year." World?s First Commercial CO2 Capture Plant Goes Live | Climate Central

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish

It’s “follow the money”, for sure, but also follow the virtue. That’s what enables people to enrich the con men of the green industrial complex.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Actually no trees were harmed. From the article on it , "Gebald said his team installed 18 carbon dioxide collectors on the roof of a garbage incineration plant outside Zurich. Powered by wasted heat from the incinerator, the collectors use fans to suck ambient air into filters, which absorb carbon dioxide. The filters are heated and the carbon dioxide is removed and piped into nearby greenhouses, which will use 900 metric tons of captured carbon to grow crops each year." World?s First Commercial CO2 Capture Plant Goes Live | Climate Central
    That is actually pretty cool. Turning waste heat and waste CO2 into plant food.

That said, it is still only the left-side of the equation. Plants are not carbon sinks. That CO2 is released when the plants die (or are eaten). Nature always balances the equation.

Waste -> Food -> CO2 is still better than Waste-> CO2.

KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN
    DNC files lawsuit against Punxsutawney Phil, the Mayor of Gobbler's Knob and of course the Russians for conspiring to delay spring. Star witness to be called will be Stormy Daniels pet beaver.

groundhog_day_001.jpg

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    I think it's funny.

There was a case here in Griffith where a homeowner spray painted on his garage something about "lying thieving politicians".
    The town tried to fine him.
    They lost the case.

I wish I would have gotten a picture of the garage.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    tpvilla
    Top Bottom