• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CraigAPS

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 26, 2016
    Muncie
    This may fit better in one of the political sub-forums, but I wanted to get this as widely seen as possible. Although a couple years old, the views expressed in this video, I think, are more important than ever. I know that this has been said on here before, but I think it needs repeating with the current state of the Country. I see a lot of what he's talking about here, on INGO, as well as nearly every other outlet on the Internet. Despite how much the kind of comments he discusses may resonate with us, the members of the 2A community need to stop spewing them all over the place. On here, it's probably not as much of an issue. Most on here will feel the same and understand where the person making the comment is coming from. But on FB, Twitter, Instagram, comment sections of news sources (or "news" sources, if you will), etc., we should either make rational, well reasoned counterarguments and comments to allow those on the fence to understand our thought process instead of seeing all gun owners as foulmouthed neanderthals who can only scream at those who disagree with us. This will bring more to possibly agree with us or, at least, not oppose us. Don't get me wrong, I understand and say those things among like-minded individuals, but they're counterproductive when said to those on the opposite side of the issue, and they might push those who are heretofore undecided to the other way of thinking. And this goes for anti-gunners, as well. I often see them resorting to name-calling, cursing, etc. Let them do that. Take the "high road." Regardless of how hard we must grit our teeth, be polite.

[video=youtube;U6Z79nyUH_4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U6Z79nyUH_4[/video]

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    You're correct.
    Polite discourse IS necessary, but unlikely in this political climate.

"You cannot be civil with a political party who is trying to destroy everything you believe in. Civility can begin again when the Democrats are back in power" - Hillary Clinton
    The above is paraphrasing, but you get the gist...

SarahG

Snow Shovel
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 17, 2017
    Morgan County
    I definitely agree with this. I talk politics frequently with coworkers who are normally anti-gun, but I’ve found a lot of that comes from a lack of education on the topic. Once I talk to them calmly, let them tell me their thoughts, and then dispel some myths around guns they are usually receptive and even have additional questions.

On the other hand, if I started off aggresssive and called them stupid, they would be less receptive to what I have to say.

bgcatty

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Sep 9, 2011
    Carmel
    You're correct.
    Polite discourse IS necessary, but unlikely in this political climate.

"You cannot be civil with a political party who is trying to destroy everything you believe in. Civility can begin again when the Democrats are back in power" - Hillary Clinton
    The above is paraphrasing, but you get the gist...

Bravo Sierra on Hillary Crooked Clinton! Seriously?
    Hill n Bill ran a worldwide criminal enterprise that was proven to be a fact when Trump won and Clinton’s “pay for play” scam collapsed. Period! Out.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Bravo Sierra on Hillary Crooked Clinton! Seriously?
    Hill n Bill ran a worldwide criminal enterprise that was proven to be a fact when Trump won and Clinton’s “pay for play” scam collapsed. Period! Out.

Um, I was using HER OWN WORDS to bash her.
    Yes, I WAS serious!

Besides, "What difference, at this point, does it make?" - Hillary Rodham Clinton

See there, I did it again!

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    I treat the other side with civility not because they deserve it but because I do. It reflects upon me and the credibility of my positions if I just turn into a bomb-thrower with gotchas and whaddabouts.

Yes they are hypocrites (as are some on our side). Yes they are unreasonable, and can't be reasoned with. That's as may be. It's not about convincing the unconvincible or the reasoning with the the unreasonable.

It's about the fact that others are watching who might be convinced and you might be reasoned with.

That's why it matters as much how you play the game as whether or not you "win".

GIJEW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    IF you're having a rational debate/discussion, then by all means, be calm and civil. I don't think that means not being harshly critical of public figures or policies though, just do it without name-calling. As for squalling harpies, is laughing their faces for being useful idiots too uncivil?

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    I agree. Politics these days is very polarized. People tend to jump on political bandwagons and support a particular party without thinking about what they are supporting, which I think allows the politicians to get away with far too much, because nobody is challenging them on their own side or holding them accountable. The politicians are there to represent the people, not the other way around.

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    IF you're having a rational debate/discussion, then by all means, be calm and civil. I don't think that means not being harshly critical of public figures or policies though, just do it without name-calling. As for squalling harpies, is laughing their faces for being useful idiots too uncivil?

There's no doubt there are true idiots out there. Engaging with them can often end only in loss. Pearls before swine.

Laughter I think is OK, as might be ridicule if done with sophistication and without yelling or rudeness.

EricG

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 19, 2013
    NWI
    Let's face it, discourse of any kind is usually fueled by emotion/feelings. Usually, one side of the debate aren't concerned with actuality. Pretty difficult to have any type of discourse in those situations.

No one likes to be wrong. Especially those who have so much emotion vested in their views. That, in my unprofessional opinions, speaks to the fragility of so many folks psychy.

Which, opens up a whole other convo about so many with undiagnosed mental illnesses, whether subtle or aggressive.

Sent from my VS810PP using Tapatalk

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    I treat the other side with civility not because they deserve it but because I do. It reflects upon me and the credibility of my positions if I just turn into a bomb-thrower with gotchas and whaddabouts.

Yes they are hypocrites (as are some on our side). Yes they are unreasonable, and can't be reasoned with. That's as may be. It's not about convincing the unconvincible or the reasoning with the the unreasonable.

It's about the fact that others are watching who might be convinced and you might be reasoned with.

That's why it matters as much how you play the game as whether or not you "win".

:yesway:
    absolutely.

Top Bottom