• chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    I used this:
    404313516.jpg

And a dremel to do this to a Glock barrel.

404313520.jpg

Sorry the picture is so blurry, it was taken long ago with a crappy camera. I no longer have the gun, but the barrel was a perfect mirror finish and looked chrome.

indysims

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   1
    Aug 31, 2011
    Anyone use the lapping compounds? There is a YouTube video of a guy polishing the bolt of his Rem 597 and he uses a 220 and 600 grit lapping compound.
    [ame]http://youtu.be/lzhOIl2OMog[/ame]

LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort
    What's a good general purpose polishing compound for feed ramps, bolts, guide rods, etc...etc?
    I use Dremel 421 buffing compound for area's that require some metal removal, and white buffing compound to finish polishing. Flitz when I just want to clean & shine something. BE CAUTIOUS, If you use the compounds, run the Dremel slow. It will remove metal and ruin a feed ramp or trigger assembly if you are not very careful.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Flitz and or Jeweler's Rouge. Lapping compound is an abrasive, not a polish. It is used to do things like lap (even up) bolt lugs etc...

Same here. Rouge(Dremel 421 actually) with a Dremel for cleaning up light machining marks like your feed ramp. Flitz by hand for making things shine.

GREEN607

Master
    Rating - 99%
    99   1   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    INDIANAPOLIS
    Flitz and or Jeweler's Rouge. Lapping compound is an abrasive, not a polish. It is used to do things like lap (even up) bolt lugs etc...

As are 9/10 polishes, including Flitz.

I never said use a good 800-grit lapping compound and 20ft/lbs of torque. Anyone with real experience knows how to 'polish glass' with it.

indysims

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   1
    Aug 31, 2011
    I need a variable speed dremel... not just for things like this but for lots of reasons. Mine is the old style with two settings, Off or 500,000 rpm

Last edited:
    Top Bottom