• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bonkers4Bacon

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 25, 2014
    Fields of Green
    Its very hard to ignore the police trade-in deals. Obviously there have been numerous rounds fired through these weapons and most places can't acount for the number. But they're cheap! Having never bought a police trade-in, I have no idea what to expect if I do purchase one. My question- should I?? The price is something you can't ignore.

The specific gun in question is a S&W M&P 40 (15 rd). Comes with an extra mag and night sights, nothing more. I've rented this type gun before so I know how it feels and shoots. I shoot it pretty well and it feels excellent in my sausage fingers.

Obviously I am not expecting a pristine firearm. I am aware of the holster wear and the unknown number of rounds put through these guns. The price is $369 shipped.

What to do?:dunno:

juans

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 30, 2013
    indianapolis
    Its very hard to ignore the police trade-in deals. Obviously there have been numerous rounds fired through these weapons and most places can't acount for the number. But they're cheap! Having never bought a police trade-in, I have no idea what to expect if I do purchase one. My question- should I?? The price is something you can't ignore.

The specific gun in question is a S&W M&P 40 (15 rd). Comes with an extra mag and night sights, nothing more. I've rented this type gun before so I know how it feels and shoots. I shoot it pretty well and it feels excellent in my sausage fingers.

Obviously I am not expecting a pristine firearm. I am aware of the holster wear and the unknown number of rounds put through these guns. The price is $369 shipped.

What to do?:dunno:

Do you go to a specific place to buy it, or is that something that a dealer will disclose?

thanks

Robjps

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 8, 2011
    Ive bought some glock trade ins. They vary on the outside but are almost new on the inside. Expect holster wear and scratches from banging around but open up the inside and its almost new. They are usually dirty from dirt not carbon also lol.

bluehdflhrs

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 11, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Remember most of the time the officers get frist choice.So these are the ones they did not want.I got a Sig 220 from a officer that did not want it.I bought it from him.Nice gun very will taken care of.Price was right too.

sliptap

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 25, 2013
    Indianapolis
    CDNN Sports usually has some good trade-in deals on Glocks, S&Ws, and Sigs.

As already stated, these are often not shot a lot and mechanically sound. Most of the full-size pistols are bulletproof anyway, so I wouldn't think twice about a police Sig, Glock, M&P, etc. trade in.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    The first handgun I ever bought bigger than a 22LR was a police trade in S&W Model 10. Like others said, there was considerable holster wear but it was/is a solid gun.

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    Can you find out what department it's from? How long did the department in question have the particular model in service? Would a 2K round count bother you? Remember it's likely been in service in all manner of weather and with less than optimal maintenance. It was just a tool.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    I've been looking for a police trade in 870 for a while and I own one that used to belong to the Ohio state police. I have no reservations. The ones I've seen have been shot very little. Some have holster wear only.

Redacted

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 15, 2014
    Westville
    Can you find out what department it's from? How long did the department in question have the particular model in service? Would a 2K round count bother you? Remember it's likely been in service in all manner of weather and with less than optimal maintenance. It was just a tool.

Normally larger departments will have their own serial numbers with glocks like Detroit PD will be DPDXXXX so if you have that guns serial number it helps

cbseniour

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 8, 2011
    South East Marion County
    Guys who are obsessed with round count probably don't want a police trade in they will always wonder. On the other hand those who want a good serviceable usually well cared for pistol would appreciate the deal.

Tyler-The-Piker

Boondock Saint
    Rating - 100%
    101   0   0
    Jun 24, 2013
    ><(((((*>
    Round count rarely matters with a Glock (trade-in or not).
    Most Glock owners will never see the threshhold anyway...

What's the old watch commercial tagline?
    "They take a lickin' and keep on tickin'"

Bonkers4Bacon

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 25, 2014
    Fields of Green

I'm not sure if thats possible or not. Seems like a lot of effort, and I'm lazy :) And since its a S&W, round count wont bother me too much. As long as its not 100,000,000 lol

Top Bottom