Police Priorities: War on Drugs, or Violent Crime?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jbombelli

ITG Certified
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Brownsburg, IN
    I have no problem looking in the mirror. I've conducted myself quite honorably during my 12 year career.

Is there a line you would not cross when it comes to enforcing laws with which you disagree?

edited: note, that's not meant in a snarky manner. It's an honest question. Thought I would clarify that.

jbombelli

ITG Certified
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Brownsburg, IN
    Sure there is.

Then it's not just a matter of "the law is the law and must be enforced" because if they passed a severe enough law you would refuse to enforce it to your own detriment. So in the end, can you really say that a law must be enforced because it's the law?

Is it before or after having to wear a Skirt?! :dunno::popcorn:

Men call those kilts.

Mini skirt, calf or full length?

They're all the same length - right above the knee.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    So in the end, can you really say that a law must be enforced because it's the law?

To a point, yes. If a law goes beyond what I have determined is my line in the sand then it will have to be enforced by someone else. The laws against the production, possession, distribution and consumption of certain substances doesn't cross that line for me.

I don't believe it crosses that line for most people.

NYFelon

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 1, 2011
    DPRNY
    I just thought I'd say, though it adds nothing of value frankly, that this is one of the best threads I've participated in since joining.

jbombelli

ITG Certified
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Brownsburg, IN
    To a point, yes. If a law goes beyond what I have determined is my line in the sand then it will have to be enforced by someone else. The laws against the production, possession, distribution and consumption of certain substances doesn't cross that line for me.

I don't believe it crosses that line for most people.

"Most people" are blindly conditioned to do whatever they're told by the government, and to believe that it's right if the government says it's right. They believe the BS spewed at them by their legislators who either have a vested interest in it themselves, or took lots of money from someone who wanted them to say that. That's unfortunate, but true. I see it every day.

But at least you have a line in the sand. If you take some people at their word, there is no line in the sand for them.

Last edited:

dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO
    We are responsible for our own acts. If something is wrong it is wrong even if everyone voted on it and passed a law about it. Our country is based on this principle.

This puts police officers in a difficult position. Where should they draw the line?

Is a cop wrong if he writes a ticket in a zone where he thinks the speed limit in a particular spot should be 45, but it's 35? I think we'd give him a pass on that.

Is he wrong if they pass a law that says all the Jews have to go to work camps and he helps round them up? I think we'd all agree that he's a bad person if he enforces that law.

In that very, very wide area in between there is a place where everyone who asks to be in that job must draw a line. That line may be different for different people.

I could never be a cop, because I think putting people in jail for exercising their natural rights is tyranny, and I couldn't do it. To me, it's a stain on our collective selves that we put an adult in jail for selling a plant to another adult. I couldn't do it. My line is drawn in a place that wouldn't allow me to function as a police officer.

That's on the level of principle. On a personal level, I am more forgiving. I can take a larger view. I can understand how a basically good person can find themselves having to make certain compromises.

I'd be curious, though, where the line would be drawn for some of the cops who post here. Are you relieved of responsibility for right and wrong if it's the law? Or do you just happen to agree with all the laws you enforce? Or do you selectively enforce? I'm curious as to how you guys reconcile these things within your own heart.

LEaSH

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I've heard cops say things to the effect, "...this is so effing stupid what I have to do, but I'm not going to risk being disciplined for not doing it."

I think most of us non-cops have said similar things in our own working lives to preserve our jobs.

At the end of the week, we all look for the deposit in our bank accounts. Kid has to eat. Wife has to spend.

We all put our compromises back there in that pocket of our mind that we can ignore.

Anyway. It may not surprise some of you that some cops use illegal drugs for recreation, too. It's true.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    I've heard cops say things to the effect, "...this is so effing stupid what I have to do, but I'm not going to risk being disciplined for not doing it."

I think most of us non-cops have said similar things in our own working lives to preserve our jobs.

At the end of the week, we all look for the deposit in our bank accounts. Kid has to eat. Wife has to spend.

We all put our compromises back there in that pocket of our mind that we can ignore.

Anyway. It may not surprise some of you that some cops use illegal drugs for recreation, too. It's true.

Of course it's true. Some commit murders too. Such is the nature of an imperfect human.... but it should be noted, well less than your average citizen.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    I am sure that within an Hour of looking for it, I could have it if I wanted. Along with several other Prohibited items.

And I live out here in the middle of Cornfield Indiana. Location does not really matter to much, granted some places illegal items are more prevalent than others. However, even in the "good" Neighborhoods contraband can still be found, if you want it...

I could save you the trouble and tell you the address of the double next to mine. Their back door should have CVS above it as they are the neigborhood pharmacy.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    I could save you the trouble and tell you the address of the double next to mine. Their back door should have CVS above it as they are the neigborhood pharmacy.
    Huh....

I didn't realize you lived in the Ghetto... :dunno:

That explains why your SuperDuty was stolen. You cannot have anything nice in the Ghetto... ;)

Top Bottom