• ...and so much more!
  • techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    IWB points just behind the wearer in many cases.
    Close enough that means it would point at a leg if a person were right behind.
    Leg has big artery in it that can bleed out out in less than a minute.
    Otherwise the round deflected off of bone and went up into all sorts of important organs.

Sad.

Excalibur

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   2   0
    May 11, 2012
    NWI
    Given where she was hit, and that it was IWB....that "hug" seems to be quite a bit more....complicated.

You're right. There HAD to have been something more to this. If it was a glomp from behind and if it was a shoulder holster, MAYBE it might have went off it something was caught in the trigger, but IWB, it should have been pointed to the ground. The victim was shot in the chest, into the heart. That means the barrel had to have ended up pointed at her. We're not getting the full picture here

indymike

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Jun 29, 2009
    Reading that it was IWB makes this seem all the more implausible.

The only scenario I can guess, and it's a stretch, is that first there was an article of clothing in the holster, near the trigger and this was a pretty ****ty holster. She started to wrap her arms around him from behind, her hand hit the butt of the gun and continues forward, the grip goes forward and the muzzle swings up and during this motion, the stuck clothing pulls at the base of the trigger while the muzzle is now pointing 30 to 40 degrees above horizontal.

Freakier things have happened I guess.

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 23, 2009
    Brainardland
    Thinking out loud here...she hugs the guy from behind and takes one in the chest?

I'm wondering if this could have been a horizontal shoulder rig...those damned things have scared the crap out of me since I first laid eyes on one on a brother officer. I remember thinking that it wasn't a matter of IF someone was eventually going to be accidentally shot out of one of those things but WHEN.

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    IWB points just behind the wearer in many cases.
    Close enough that means it would point at a leg if a person were right behind.
    Leg has big artery in it that can bleed out out in less than a minute.
    Otherwise the round deflected off of bone and went up into all sorts of important organs.

Sad.

Reading that it was IWB makes this seem all the more implausible.

The only scenario I can guess, and it's a stretch, is that first there was an article of clothing in the holster, near the trigger and this was a pretty ****ty holster. She started to wrap her arms around him from behind, her hand hit the butt of the gun and continues forward, the grip goes forward and the muzzle swings up and during this motion, the stuck clothing pulls at the base of the trigger while the muzzle is now pointing 30 to 40 degrees above horizontal.

Freakier things have happened I guess.

"Police said that Miller hugged the officer -- whose name has not been released -- from behind as he was dancing, and the gun discharged."

you all need to turn on some MTV or something. "dancing" and "hugging".... picture kneeling down, face at belt level. gun can still be pointed down and go into the heart. My $ is on "more to the story," however.

You all are picturing:
    Waltz.jpg

When you should be picturing:
    kim-kardashian-grinding-reggie-bush.jpg

-rvb

Last edited:

fullmetaljesus

Probably smoking a cigar.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Indy
    You're right. There HAD to have been something more to this. If it was a glomp from behind and if it was a shoulder holster, MAYBE it might have went off it something was caught in the trigger, but IWB, it should have been pointed to the ground. The victim was shot in the chest, into the heart. That means the barrel had to have ended up pointed at her. We're not getting the full picture here

maybe he was doing a hand stand and she gave him a big hug....sounds reasonable to me....

Citizen711

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 8, 2010
    Fishers
    I like how they quoted mom as saying that her daughter had every right to be celebrating her birthday, like somehow, someone was trying to deny her that.

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 14, 2011
    ECI
    She hugged him from "behind"?
    Just out of curiosity, why is the officer on admin leave?

Says he's on administrative duties, is that the same as leave? I though that meant he was working a desk? :dunno:

Stephens said the Detroit officer will remain on administrative duties while authorities investigate the shooting and report their findings to the Wayne County prosecutor.

The full picture can only be shown on a xxx adult site from the sounds of the assumptions here. Makes sense to me. :popcorn:

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    I am still trying to picture someone with their front up against someone's back, and a firearm going off that was pointed rearward enough to cause a chest impact.

An IWB firearm would have to be pointed up to puncture a lung and heart. I can't picture how a hug from behind could cause a properly, or even improperly installed IWB holster to rotate that far. And then what could cause the trigger to be pulled.

A shoulder rig would have the pistol facing rear, and I could stretch to see that when she gave him a hug, her hand grabbed the pistol causing it to slide out of the holster enough for her own finger to push the trigger, but even in that scenario the weapon should have pointed away from her, not to her.

There is something seriously not right in this story.

Ricochet?

bingley

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2011
    The full picture can only be shown on a xxx adult site from the sounds of the assumptions here. Makes sense to me. :popcorn:

It doesn't have to so NSFW, but it sounds like there was some horseplay involved. Perhaps some birthday wrestling? The officer was bent over, perhaps on all fours, and the woman was behind attempting to mount him. Maybe he was getting away, and she put her arms around his waist, intending to eventually transition to the side, flip him over, pin his shoulders down, start the count...

This is the only way I can align the barrel with the chest.

CX1

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 27, 2012
    Vigo Co.
    This is the only way I can align the barrel with the chest.

Ever consider the man may have been on an elevated platform such as a raised dance floor?
    Or on some stairs?
    Or as she approached him she stumbled and was in the process of falling as she reached for him?

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    You mean to tell me that guns are dangerous?

Unpossible!

I've been reading this gun expurt forum, INGO, and they say guns never fire if fingers are not on triggers. You guys mean to tell me that they can fire without fingers on triggers? I . . . am . . . shocked.

bingley

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2011
    Ever consider the man may have been on an elevated platform such as a raised dance floor?
    Or on some stairs?
    Or as she approached him she stumbled and was in the process of falling as she reached for him?

The first two scenarios are not impossible, but it seems that the difference in height would have to be big enough that there would be no "hugging."

The last scenario is plausible, but then that should be reported as "woman falls, grabs on to officer to balance, accidentally pulling the trigger of the gun in his waistband," rather than woman was hugging him/her from behind.

There are probably other possibilities, and all we have to go on is what appears to be a very incomplete, possibly misleading article.

revance

Expert
    Rating - 88.9%
    8   1   0
    Jan 25, 2009
    Zionsville
    News now says it was a "neoprene type holster".

Apparently Detroit cops need paid more so they can afford real holsters.

Of course the got a great quote from the mom questioning why one needs a gun in their own home... puke.

People, please use this as a good excuse to go buy a quality holster if you dont already have one. Its simply an expense of being a responsible gun carrier.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Tweaver1500
    Top Bottom