• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    I think people are putting too much into this. The term "civilian" is not being used as a jab or in an ill manner. It's been used for so many decades that is it the common term for non-LEO's. It's easy to say that in a sentence rather than the term "non-law enforcement officers, non-firefighters, non-public safety officers". Using the term "civilian" does not cause the "us v. them" mentality nor does it perpetuate it, if that is your fear. It is so ingrained that is has no meaning other than "non-leo, non-firefighter". What does our ride-a-long for say? "Civilian ride-a-long waiver". Is this really what we need to focus energy on?

I think the distinction does matter.

It's not so much about about "us vs. them", it's never been that for me anyway, rather it is about a paradigm shift that lends itself to the "us vs. them" mentaility. I understand that it is ingrained in the language used - perhaps because many people in that line of work come from military backgrounds.

I would rather cops and firefighter thought of themselves as public servants (they probably do), providing a very essential and needed functions. If LEOs and FFs think of "us" as civilians, then they create a separation in their mind, rather than them feeling like a member of the community.

The definition of the word has changed over the years and I think the attitudes have also. Along with the fact that the police chief is beholden to the city government rather that the vote and confidence of the people in the community (like a sheriff).

The reduction of importance over the years in the county sheriffs and local PD in exchange for consolidated police forces, DEA, SWAT, (insert long list here) hasn't helped either.

Now, I'm not pretending to know the mind of LEO's just obsevation.

Top Bottom