• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    You are 100% correct, we are taxed enough. What we have is **** poor management. Few know this little fact about IMPD's budget: If 30 officers retire this year, the money they were getting paid after they are gone goes to Indy's general fund, it does not stay in our budget. When we auction our old cars, the money goes to the general fund. What to recycle 1000's of old aluminum center consoles from our old fleet, the money goes to the general fund. We want to set up a charity event to pay for cameras, can't, the cash goes to the general fund. The city (during Unigov transition I believe) removed ALL incentives from, then, IPD to think outside the box when it comes to the budget. It's flat out crazy. MCSD had no such problem but at the merger, this BS method of budgeting stayed with IMPD.

Sounds like the easiest way to get this done then would be to petition a generous and wealthy benefactor to purchase the required equipment. If the budget doesnt allow the wiggle room to account for it, and any attempts to raise money to set this up only get the proceeds diverted into the mayors pocket, this would be the best way to go. Cant spend the money if it was never money in the departments hands to begin with ;)

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Ummm, your honeypot money is public record, Pooh Bear. I have posted it before on INGO. Law enforcement is swimming in dough.

Nope, then honeypot money is all law enforcement money.

And so? How is any different than copying police reports or witness statements. It is evidence, fork it over.

Technically speaking, a video takes a LOT more space to store than a PDF of a police report, even less if the report is plain-text or stored in a relational database. That said, Amazon S3 storage is pretty damn cheap and is probably more secure than most police departments can afford to have themselves. So storage for video for a fairly large PD shouldn't be that big a deal considering the bigger honeypots for bigger departments.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Technically speaking, a video takes a LOT more space to store than a PDF of a police report, even less if the report is plain-text or stored in a relational database. That said, Amazon S3 storage is pretty damn cheap and is probably more secure than most police departments can afford to have themselves. So storage for video for a fairly large PD shouldn't be that big a deal considering the bigger honeypots for bigger departments.

Don't "we" have a place out in Utah specifically designed for such data storage? :D

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Don't "we" have a place out in Utah specifically designed for such data storage? :D

Well, it is a government facility. I think they might be very happy to provide free storage for every byte of every second of video from every police officer everywhere. The only cost is that they get to use it too.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Technically speaking, a video takes a LOT more space to store than a PDF of a police report, even less if the report is plain-text or stored in a relational database.

Just so everyone knows, the police are already storing 617 interviews, Village Pantry security video, bank video, and video of rhino and Kirk practicing interpretative dance in parks all over the state sent in by anonymous tipsters.

"We don't have the resources" in policese means "we don't want to dick with it" as they darn well have the resources.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    Sounds like the easiest way to get this done then would be to petition a generous and wealthy benefactor to purchase the required equipment. If the budget doesnt allow the wiggle room to account for it, and any attempts to raise money to set this up only get the proceeds diverted into the mayors pocket, this would be the best way to go. Cant spend the money if it was never money in the departments hands to begin with ;)
    Yeah, I wish someone would just let us keep our money but no one in City government wants that. No more "creative ways to fund more police" as we can hire based off attrition. We could buy equipment based on the auctioning of old equipment...etc.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Yeah, I wish someone would just let us keep our money but no one in City government wants that. No more "creative ways to fund more police" as we can hire based off attrition. We could buy equipment based on the auctioning of old equipment...etc.

It doesn't sound to me like budget is the issue. If your department had the budget for it, would on-body video become a part of your job? Doesn't sound like it would.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    "We don't have the resources" in policese means "we don't want to dick with it" as they darn well have the resources.

Apparently looking at a spreadsheet has given you a different perception than the day to day reality I experience. Since I watched our office run out of basic office supplies like file folders and paper clips last fiscal year, I have a little different understanding. Since I know how my case load looks, and know what the street coverage looks like, due to shrinking manpower, I have a different understanding. Since I see prints that used to take days now take weeks and lab results that used to take weeks now take months, and transcription requests that used to take days now take months, I have a little different understanding. Since I share 3 interview rooms with over 30 detectives, and two rooms can hear each other, I have a little different understanding. Since I know how often the city camera system is now completely unmanned, I have a little different understanding.

Its always easier to do someone else's job, I get it.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    Apparently looking at a spreadsheet has given you a different perception than the day to day reality I experience. Since I watched our office run out of basic office supplies like file folders and paper clips last fiscal year, I have a little different understanding. Since I know how my case load looks, and know what the street coverage looks like, due to shrinking manpower, I have a different understanding. Since I see prints that used to take days now take weeks and lab results that used to take weeks now take months, and transcription requests that used to take days now take months, I have a little different understanding. Since I share 3 interview rooms with over 30 detectives, and two rooms can hear each other, I have a little different understanding. Since I know how often the city camera system is now completely unmanned, I have a little different understanding.

Its always easier to do someone else's job, I get it.

Two thoughts from this thread:
    1. I just said it was an allocation problem. You and Kirk are both correct.

2. Just when are those city cameras unmanned? ;)

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Just for stirring the pot, but the figures involving officers with camera's don't really say much. One can believe that police are better behaved because of them OR they can believe that citizen, being made aware that they are being filmed, don't have a leg to stand on if they issue a false complaint.
    I know that I've been saved, by video after a guy issued a complaint, and then found out there was video of the interaction.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    You are 100% correct, we are taxed enough. What we have is **** poor management. Few know this little fact about IMPD's budget: If 30 officers retire this year, the money they were getting paid after they are gone goes to Indy's general fund, it does not stay in our budget. When we auction our old cars, the money goes to the general fund. What to recycle 1000's of old aluminum center consoles from our old fleet, the money goes to the general fund. We want to set up a charity event to pay for cameras, can't, the cash goes to the general fund. The city (during Unigov transition I believe) removed ALL incentives from, then, IPD to think outside the box when it comes to the budget. It's flat out crazy. MCSD had no such problem but at the merger, this BS method of budgeting stayed with IMPD.

Frustrating when the money exists but doesn't do you any good because of politicians suffering from cranial-rectal inversion!

IMPD31323

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    indy
    All that money that IMPD has somehow got lost about a year ago when we ran out of toilet paper and did not have the funding to purchase more. We literally had to bring our own in to east roll call. Ya money is falling from the sky over here!

Trooper

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Just for stirring the pot, but the figures involving officers with camera's don't really say much. One can believe that police are better behaved because of them OR they can believe that citizen, being made aware that they are being filmed, don't have a leg to stand on if they issue a false complaint.
    I know that I've been saved, by video after a guy issued a complaint, and then found out there was video of the interaction.

I remember a conversation years ago that having cameras did decrease complaints as it stopped the typical BS. As well making LEOs stop and think in those rare situations when it is tempting to give a citizen an attitude adjustment.

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    All that money that IMPD has somehow got lost about a year ago when we ran out of toilet paper and did not have the funding to purchase more. We literally had to bring our own in to east roll call. Ya money is falling from the sky over here!

IndyDave, this looks like a perfect opportunity to profit off of this hoarding of toilet paper from Sams Club

CathyInBlue

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I know my case would have benefitted immensely from having officers with untamperable video recordings of their words and deeds.

I wonder how effective a demand of injunctive relief which includes requiring the THPD to implement such a system for each officer in the field would be.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana

Yes, it is quite literally falling from the sky. We at INGO have discussed the millions upon millions of bonus funds that Marion County law enforcement receives.

If the brass hats at IMPD cannot budget properly, well, that's another issue entirely.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    I wonder how effective a demand of injunctive relief which includes requiring the THPD to implement such a system for each officer in the field would be.

Likely no where fast, but having the Indiana Supreme Court expand IRE617 would be a great help and achieve the remedy you seek.

Top Bottom