Master
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Feb 20, 2015
    I-get-around
    Here's one.

Can I bring an FM24/29 to the range?

View attachment 43686

It fires the French 7.5×54mm round which is equivalent in ballistics and striking power to the later 7.62×51mm NATO (.308 Winchester) round. A robust and reliable weapon partly derived from the M1918 Browning Automatic Rifle (BAR) action, the FM 1924 M29 soldiered on, practically without interruptions, for more than 50 years.

If you have a transferable example of a 24/29, you and I need to talk :spend:

SmileDocHill

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Westfield
    My father plinking with it at bgf

[video=youtube;JNt-shV6k5w]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JNt-shV6k5w[/video]

MOTHER OF GOD! That looks amazing. Each little burst of automatic fire doesn't look the same? Some of those short bursts have what appears to be a small fire starting in the chamber between the rounds? That common?

SmileDocHill

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Westfield
    My experience at the Carmel one.... I think they give their RO's some leeway to monitor safe gun handling of the customers. I absolutely do NOT know this for sure, just my observation as a customer. I heard at least a couple folks doing rapid fire when I was there last (very busy at the time) and the shooters were getting great groups and very controlled. The RO's seemed to be always aware and let some people do it. My son shot the target holding clip so when we were out of the booth reloading mags and getting targets I informed them about it. (not knowing if they would go all Atterbury RO on me :-) ) The guy just simply handed me another one from his pocket and said no problem but his body language clearly indicated that he wasn't really their for customer service. He was still scanning the line of shooters for safety.
    In a world of having to have hard and fast rules instead of using common sense, it was nice (if not optimistically naive of me) to think that they have given their guys the go ahead to make the call on a case by case basis. :dunno: Not sure, but my experience supports what I hope is their protocol.

ajeandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Oct 25, 2013
    S. Indianapolis
    MOTHER OF GOD! That looks amazing. Each little burst of automatic fire doesn't look the same? Some of those short bursts have what appears to be a small fire starting in the chamber between the rounds? That common?

The thing is from WWI, it's definitely a fire breather. You should see it full auto. The thing gets hot!

AmericanBob

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    May 10, 2009
    Noblesville
    Here's one.

Can I bring an FM24/29 to the range?P

View attachment 43686

It fires the French 7.5×54mm round which is equivalent in ballistics and striking power to the later 7.62×51mm NATO (.308 Winchester) round. A robust and reliable weapon partly derived from the M1918 Browning Automatic Rifle (BAR) action, the FM 1924 M29 soldiered on, practically without interruptions, for more than 50 years.

Abso-freaking-loutly! But only when I'm working as RSO. That round is in the same category as .308 and '06 so it wouldn't be a problem at all. 5.45x39 is also a-ok for whoever it was that said it wasn't.

Beowulf

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    Brownsburg
    Abso-freaking-loutly! But only when I'm working as RSO. That round is in the same category as .308 and '06 so it wouldn't be a problem at all. 5.45x39 is also a-ok for whoever it was that said it wasn't.

Even 7n6? Or just new made stuff. I'm not sure what 7n6 (or SS109 for that matter) would do the backstop.

I guess since I'm selling my AK-74, it's more of a "out of curiosity" question at this point.

TheWabbit

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    In my lair
    5.45x39 is also a-ok for whoever it was that said it wasn't.

Are you sure? I looked up the rules online (the company FAQ). I would love to test fire my 74s in Carmel instead of freezing out at Elwood.

WHAT CALIBERS ARE ALLOWED AT THE RANGE?
    Handguns, 22LR rifles and shotguns may be shot on any lane. Rifles up to and including .308 are welcome every day on our rifle lanes. Our Cincy West location can accommodate up to and including 50 BMG. Armor piercing ammo is never allowed on the range (due to this, we cannot allow 5.45×39 firearms at any time as most ammunition uses penetrating cores).

FAQ | Point Blank Indoor Shooting Range & Gun Shop | Cincinnati Ohio

AmericanBob

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    May 10, 2009
    Noblesville
    I believe they have the steel plate deflection/capture (the proper terminology is escaping me) style backstop. Ours is two feet of ground rubber backed up by armor plate. Our backstop will catch .50 bmg but our roof plating is only good to .308/'06 power frame. I see 74's on the range all the time and have never heard of it to be an issue at our location.

TheWabbit

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    In my lair
    I believe they have the steel plate deflection/capture (the proper terminology is escaping me) style backstop. Ours is two feet of ground rubber backed up by armor plate. Our backstop will catch .50 bmg but our roof plating is only good to .308/'06 power frame. I see 74's on the range all the time and have never heard of it to be an issue at our location.

That works for me :)

tcecil88

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 18, 2013
    @ the corner of IN, KY & OH.
    I am a member of Point Blank west on the west side of Cincinnati. Great place to shoot, rent guns, or just hang out. They have a great, knowledgeable staff and a large inventory of guns and accessories.
    When I signed up, I was told they can handle up .50 BMG, I assume they will examine the rounds and make sure no API gets used. :) They used to host GSSF twice a year for 6 shoots total, but quit in the middle of the summer shoot last year with no notice. I thought that was pretty crappy but it is what it is.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    jojo99
    Top Bottom