pocket pistol problem - holster, or not.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MohawkSlim

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 11, 2015
    firing line
    I went back and forth with this for a while. Ended up deciding if there's nothing else in the pocket, it's safe. Still carried in a pocket holster though for the reasons others cited above.

If the clip is used, I believe tucking it in to a waistband or empty pocket would be fine.

ajeandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Oct 25, 2013
    S. Indianapolis
    Possibility alter you wardrobe a tad to accommodate the pistol w/ holster.

Karl_Kani_Baggy_Jeans.jpg

I have a couple pairs of those I wear when I like to wear from time to time that allow me to pocket carry my SW500

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    I've been carrying a P3AT in the Wrangler's rear pocket for years. I didn't like the feel with the DeSantis "pouch" in my pocket.
    Printing and the silhouette of the little KelTec finally made a nice image on my rear pocket after a couple of weeks. I went to the DeSantis after buying more jeans all the time. I would still rather carry without a holster BUT It is safer, doesn't mess up your jeans, AND DOESN'T engage the mag release when you sit down.
    I don't know how many times my mag had released and I had to reach into my pocket to snap the mag back into the gun.

Barry

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 18, 2008
    I second the Nemisis. I've carried a CW380 and a CM40 in them. It helps keep them from "printing" and keeps them where I can get a hold of them.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    Always use a pocket holster for all the reasons above, plus this: A pocket holster not only is more safe, keeps the gun cleaner and reduces the print, but it also keeps it in a uniform position. A good pocket holster will always keep the gun in the exact same position, so if you go to grab it, you always know what part of the gun you are grabbing.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    The "hook on the side of the gun" things... Great if you want to carry without a round in the chamber. But that's a stupid way to carry.

Those "versa carry" holsters? Great if you want to carry without a round in the chamber. But that's a stupid way to carry.

Jvernon

Marksman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Sep 3, 2012
    Indianapolis
    I carried a Kahr P380 in my front jeans pocket with no holster for years. It would flop around and you would never want to put anything with it in your pocket. I tried a nemesis or something like that and it was way too bulky. Then I went to a Sig P938 in a custom kydex pocket holster. A kydex pocket holster is the way to go. It doesn't add much bulk, it printed less than the Kahr and felt secure.

OutdoorDad

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 19, 2015
    Indianapolis
    I carried a P3at for a few years.
    Mostly in a coat pocket or cargo pocket in shorts when I cut the lawn.

Abandon any idea of carrying it without a holster.

I wound up with a Blackhawk size 3 pocket holster.

While your pistol has an oppressively and difficult trigger, it still is sub optimal to carry without a holster.
    1) A pocket holster will tend to keep your pistol oriented the same way. Tend- not a promise
    2) No matter how crappy the trigger, you still don't want it to be in a position to be accidentally engaged.
    3) lint- if you think your pocket is empty, you are wrong. There is always lint. It grows in your pocket and accumulates in the muzzle of your pistol. All the time, every time.

I can't think of a worse, longer, trigger than the P3at. But I'd still keep it in a holster.
    Its protected from trigger snags, lint, and generally doesn't move around a lot. Those were the most important reasons for me.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    20151229_185924_zpsflsejhhz.jpg

This is a Glock 42 in DeSantis Nemesis holster (size 2). I used this same holster when I pocket carried a j-frame.

I pocket carry this in a front jeans pocket easily. I take it into work with me daily (even though I'm not supposed to). It fits in dress pants, khakis, jeans, whatever. The LCP would disappear in a front pocket.

You can also carry the LCP in a wallet holster in your back pocket. No one would ever spot it.

What ever you choose, get a freaking holster. The DeSantis is like $20.

20151229_190924_zpsfwjikt4y.jpg

A picture of it in my hand for scale.

Last edited:

wildcatfan.62

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 9, 2011
    South Bend
    As most have said use a holster. I carry a LCP in front pocket of jeans most days in a cheap Galco that covers the trigger guard and keeps the pistol in the same position. I would recommend draw and dry fire before you hit the street. It takes a little getting used to the draw stroke.

hps

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 26, 2009
    I won't pocket carry without a holster, if in a pinch and you have to just KEEP EVERYTHG ELSE IN ANOTHER POCKET!! and you'll be okay.

warren5421

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 23, 2010
    Plainfield
    I nhave carried a Colt 1903 in a pocket for many yeays and would never carry it without a holster. I have seen and been told of holes showing up in their picket and leg and dash of car, seat, their foot etc. What happens if the air bag goes off and pushes the trigger? Leather helps stop the push.

Small's

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 16, 2012
    south of Indy
    even though i doubt it would ever go off i would say put it in a pocket holster. I carry a Keltec p3at in a nemesis and just picked up a lcp custom and a sticky holster for the miss. The pocket holsters allow the gun to be pulled out of your pocket with your pocket going with it.

tcecil88

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 18, 2013
    @ the corner of IN, KY & OH.
    To me spending $20 or so on a Desantis Nemisis holster vs. a potential GSW is a no brainer. Get a holster if nothing else for the fact it will remain upright in your pocket.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom