pocket pistol problem - holster, or not.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ajeandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Oct 25, 2013
    S. Indianapolis
    So here's the question.

You're carrying a DAO pocket pistol.

Let me make this clear, pocket pistol. If you are not sure what a pocket pistol is please refrain from responding. A pistol with a double stacked magazine is definitely not a pocket pistol.

So I'll continue...

Would you consider a DAO pocket pistol such as an lcp or p3at with a ~10lb trigger pull safe with no holster.

You have nothing else in your pocket besides the pistol.

The issue I can foresee having with the pocket holster is there being too much in the pocket...I've seen some "pocket" holsters and they're just big and would appear larger than a cell phone.

GIJEW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    between adrenaline and getting a fist full of pistol out of my pocket, I'd rather have a holster. It doesn't add much bulk and can help keep the pistol from printing

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    369   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    Pocket Holster:

keeps the gun from bouncing around
    helps keep dust and lint out of the action
    breaks up the outline

I currently use as Desantis Nemesis for my LCP but very much like the Raven Concealment pocket holster and need to order one.

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    Salem
    Holster. NO EXCEPTIONS. - cover the #E*&A$#& trigger guard. If not, it's a good way to get your foot/thigh/junk/car/floor with a bullet hole in it...

Hopper

Master
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Nov 6, 2013
    Hamilton County
    I think Snorko and GIJEW nailed it. A holster not only covers the trigger guard, but helps keep it from printing as it otherwise would in its natural state, AND keeps it mostly protected from all kinds of lint and dust.

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    A holster not only covers the trigger guard, but helps keep it from printing as it otherwise would in its natural state, AND keeps it mostly protected from all kinds of lint and dust.

^This. Why would you not want one? A single mistake can be devastating and pocket holsters are among the cheapest forms of holsters out there.

Don't be *that* guy.

ajeandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Oct 25, 2013
    S. Indianapolis
    ^This. Why would you not want one? A single mistake can be devastating and pocket holsters are among the cheapest forms of holsters out there.

Don't be *that* guy.

I'm not sure how bulky it will be in the jeans. I'm not talking about dress pants with deep pockets. I guess I'll have to judge that when I actually pick up a pocket gun :D

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I have used a Kramer holster on an undercover revolver for maybe 30 years. Belt loops for inside the waist band. Very comfortable, smooth and compact for pocket only also. No retention strap, handgun is only retained by the fit of the leather. Those $9 cheapies are a joke, and don't even work too good new. A $60 holster is cheaper in the long run

ajeandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Oct 25, 2013
    S. Indianapolis
    I have used a Kramer holster on an undercover revolver for maybe 30 years. Belt loops for inside the waist band. Very comfortable, smooth and compact for pocket only also. No retention strap, handgun is only retained by the fit of the leather. Those $9 cheapies are a joke, and don't even work too good new. A $60 holster is cheaper in the long run

Thanks, but I'm looking for pocket options, not IWB.

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    A holster will also keep the gun in the same position all the time. I've had my wallet turn sideways in my pocket. I'd hate to have that happen with a pistol and try to draw it quickly.

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    I'm not sure how bulky it will be in the jeans. I'm not talking about dress pants with deep pockets. I guess I'll have to judge that when I actually pick up a pocket gun :D

If you are that concerned about thickness, look at the Recluse holster. It only adds a single layer of leather to the gun and breaks up the outline. I have one for my LCP, but I ended up moving to a Desantis Nemesis holster when sweat started to cause rust problems.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola

Possibility alter you wardrobe a tad to accommodate the pistol w/ holster.

Karl_Kani_Baggy_Jeans.jpg

Top Bottom