• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hoosierfishing

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Jul 17, 2010
    Just curious to how many people on here carry a pocket pistol as their primary carry? I purchased a Ruger LCP last month and I find myself sticking it in my pocket and heading out the door more times then not.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    Sometimes.

My primary carry weapon is a 10mm. My second choice primary carry weapon is a PPS in .40. But my .380 is always in my pocket while sometimes my primary carry weapon is not on me for various reasons.

Would it be my choice for an only carry weapon all of the time? No. But I also have a blade and martial arts training, as well as situational awareness and conflict avoidance. A gun is just one more tool I use to protect myself, and the differences between the .380 and the 10mm, while great in terms of stopping ability, are very small in terms of the ability to protect myself since all of those other skills come into play far more often.

If I were in LE or the military or knowing I was going into combat then a pocket gun would NOT be my first choice, hands down. But when I am going about my normal civilian life then the occasional times when I am carrying a smaller caliber don't leave me feel undergunned.

latigo

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 19, 2009
    Bloomfield
    Kahr Pm45 or S&W 638. You will find f you stay away from the nut tugger jeans you can carry a little larger gun. (in pocket holster of course). As you have found it is very convenient means of carry. I keep a 1911 in each of my vehicles within reach since it would be difficult to draw m pocket pistol while driving

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    The vast majority of the time, my J-frame is my primary carry.

I do not feel under-gunned, under-loaded, nor under prepared.

LPMan59

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2009
    South of Heaven
    given what the hit rate is in self-defense/LE shootings (i read 17%), maybe you should feel undergunned. add a second or third attacker and you could be in serious trouble. or a wooden box.

just sayin'.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    given what the hit rate is in self-defense/LE shootings (i read 17%), maybe you should feel undergunned. add a second or third attacker and you could be in serious trouble. or a wooden box.

just sayin'.

Everything we do in life can be viewed at as playing the odds...

There are also trade-offs in everything that we do.

If I lived in a rougher neighborhood on a rougher side of town, or frequented such places where the liklihood of a crime against my person were more prevalent, I'd probably carry my M&P much more often.

But for me and my lifestyle and my geography and the socioeconomic / geopolitical surrounds that I find myself in MOST of the time... I feel completely comfortable with just a J-frame revolver in .38Sp +p.

You may not... And that's perfectly OK and valid.

But please don't push your own personal concerns for your own personal safety and security into my own personal concerns for my own personal safety and security.

LPMan59

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2009
    South of Heaven
    But please don't push your own personal concerns for your own personal safety and security into my own personal concerns for my own personal safety and security.

i'm not pushing anything on anyone, nor am I trying to belittle, mock or denigrate anyone or their carry practices. obviously you should do what you think best. i'm merely pointing out what appears to be the trend, at least in reported incidents.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    i'm not pushing anything on anyone, nor am I trying to belittle, mock or denigrate anyone or their carry practices. obviously you should do what you think best. i'm merely pointing out what appears to be the trend, at least in reported incidents.

yes, I do appreciate that. And I have kept kind of a mental note of how "things" are going in this world.

I wasn't trying to belittle, mock, or denigrate you either. Hope that you didn't take it that way?

:yesway:

Cam

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 7, 2008
    Tipton County

just sayin'.

I hear what you're saying, but if the hit rate is 17% and I carry my Glock 23 that contains 14 rounds that means only 2 will hit anything. If there is a second or third attacker, I'm in a wooden box anyway, right?

Maybe I should feel undergunned, but.......I don't.

LPMan59

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2009
    South of Heaven
    I hear what you're saying, but if the hit rate is 17% and I carry my Glock 23 that contains 14 rounds that means only 2 will hit anything. If there is a second or third attacker, I'm in a wooden box anyway, right?

Maybe I should feel undergunned, but.......I don't.

thats fair enough. i guess i could go with the xdm 9mm which is what, 1+19? but then i would have to shoot someone 21 times and they wouldnt die.

i will say that in indy-guy's case, he's at least carrying a good round with .38s +P ammo. i wouldnt want to carry a .380 as primary all the time.

hmmm......maybe i should invest in some sort of flashbang and smoke grenade. :laugh::draw:

hoosierfishing

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Jul 17, 2010
    My biggest struggle is with my employment risk and lifestyle. I work as a Probation Officer. That in itself has some inherent risks, one being pissed off felons. On the other hand my life style is a relaxed one. I'm a very casual dresser. I enjoy fishing, working out etc (Man that sounds like date site profile) haha. A gun has to fit around me, not the other way around. I've carried a glock 19 and 26 in a glock combat holster on a blackhawk gun belt for a couple of years. What I'm loving about my LCP is I can just stick it in my front pocket in a superfly pocket holster and be on my way. There is definitely a balance I am trying to achieve. Right now I feel confident in my lil 380 with 7 rounds of fmj.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Valparaiso
    I carry my LCP a lot...when I am not carrying my 9mm. Especially when riding my bike (mountain bike that is) out in the country and just wearing shorts and a t-shirt. As the others state, everything is a risk and so you just assume and manage that risk accordingly

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Michael.
    Top Bottom