• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ru44mag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 6, 2013
    I've been carrying my P238 in a cheap Blackhawk pocket holster. It works, but I thought I would try a "good" holster. I just got my Crossbreed pocket rocket today, about 3 weeks early, but I don't like it. Looks like I have a brick in my pocket. Next I thought of trying either the DeSantis or Talon pocket hosters. Thought I would check...do they hide well in the pocket? And when you draw the pistol, does the holster stay in the pocket, or come out with the pistol?

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    I've carried my PT745 in a Blackhawk pocket holster (size 4) for 5 years now, the holster conceals as well as any other, and has been as good as I could hope. It's starting to show some serious wear, so I'll be buying a new Blackhawk size 4 pretty soon.

alhambra lion

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2013
    The Desantis pocket holsters are pretty good. They do eventually mold to the shape of the gun so it stands out a little after a while. But you are going to be hard pressed to find a pocket holster that you can't say that about. At least I have been!

I pocket carry during the week due to my work attire giving me some limited options, and it has become one of my favorite modes of carry. I too carried a P238 for a while.

I like the Desantis pocket holsters. They really will stay in the pocket, even if you are yanking hard as you draw. That grippy material really does work. It is a good, thin, light pocket holster. If you get the version with detachable flap on it, it really looks just like a wallet. But even that will mold to the shape of the firearm over long periods.

I also have tried nicer leather holsters. Of those, I prefer the Talon Holsters. Very high quality materials and craftsmanship. Excellent for back pocket carry.

Also, Alabama Holsters makes the best kydex pocket holster IMHO. They have a great thumb tab that you press on as you draw in order to pop the gun free of the holster. The standard pocket hook is also present to help you get the gun out without the holster coming with it. I do find that this one can get jostled around and move out of position easier than the others I mentioned. Kydex does not grip, so it is free to move around in your pocket. They do try to design it so that it sinks in to the corner of the pocket, and most of the time it does. But the times where I would practice my draw and find it had shifted do unnerve me.

I have ended up using a Recluse holster. I was VERY hesitant to use it at first due to the open design. All the other holsters I mention completely cover the trigger guard. This one does not. That's right. I currently am sitting on a gun that is in my back pocket and the holster doesn't cover the trigger guard. Have carried that way for a while now. You are probably wondering how I don't have a hole in my ass at this point, and I don't blame you. I did a lot of reading, watched as many Youtube reviews as I could find prior to plunking down my money.

Then I did a lot of testing on my own once I got my hands on it. And now I trust it completely. Their design removes half the material, and hence the weight, that is present on the other designs by removing that half of the holster. Instead, they design each holster with a foamy, rubber type material that forms a block which is custom fitted to the trigger guard and trigger of your firearm. The block fills the inside of the trigger guard minus a slit that the trigger slides into. In this way, the trigger is completely immobilized.

I have tried a lot of pocket holsters and settled on the Recluse design due to the lighter weight and how well it conceals the shape of the gun.

Also, FYI I do like the Sig P238. However, I ended up reducing weight and going with the Kahr P380. For me, these are the two best pocket .380's out there. I love them both, but love the lighter weight and lack of safety on the Kahr just a bit more for pocket carry. Just my unsolicited .02

ru44mag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 6, 2013
    The Desantis pocket holsters are pretty good. They do eventually mold to the shape of the gun so it stands out a little after a while. But you are going to be hard pressed to find a pocket holster that you can't say that about. At least I have been!

I pocket carry during the week due to my work attire giving me some limited options, and it has become one of my favorite modes of carry. I too carried a P238 for a while.

I like the Desantis pocket holsters. They really will stay in the pocket, even if you are yanking hard as you draw. That grippy material really does work. It is a good, thin, light pocket holster. If you get the version with detachable flap on it, it really looks just like a wallet. But even that will mold to the shape of the firearm over long periods.

I also have tried nicer leather holsters. Of those, I prefer the Talon Holsters. Very high quality materials and craftsmanship. Excellent for back pocket carry.

Also, Alabama Holsters makes the best kydex pocket holster IMHO. They have a great thumb tab that you press on as you draw in order to pop the gun free of the holster. The standard pocket hook is also present to help you get the gun out without the holster coming with it. I do find that this one can get jostled around and move out of position easier than the others I mentioned. Kydex does not grip, so it is free to move around in your pocket. They do try to design it so that it sinks in to the corner of the pocket, and most of the time it does. But the times where I would practice my draw and find it had shifted do unnerve me.

I have ended up using a Recluse holster. I was VERY hesitant to use it at first due to the open design. All the other holsters I mention completely cover the trigger guard. This one does not. That's right. I currently am sitting on a gun that is in my back pocket and the holster doesn't cover the trigger guard. Have carried that way for a while now. You are probably wondering how I don't have a hole in my ass at this point, and I don't blame you. I did a lot of reading, watched as many Youtube reviews as I could find prior to plunking down my money.

Then I did a lot of testing on my own once I got my hands on it. And now I trust it completely. Their design removes half the material, and hence the weight, that is present on the other designs by removing that half of the holster. Instead, they design each holster with a foamy, rubber type material that forms a block which is custom fitted to the trigger guard and trigger of your firearm. The block fills the inside of the trigger guard minus a slit that the trigger slides into. In this way, the trigger is completely immobilized.

I have tried a lot of pocket holsters and settled on the Recluse design due to the lighter weight and how well it conceals the shape of the gun.

Also, FYI I do like the Sig P238. However, I ended up reducing weight and going with the Kahr P380. For me, these are the two best pocket .380's out there. I love them both, but love the lighter weight and lack of safety on the Kahr just a bit more for pocket carry. Just my unsolicited .02

Went to Recluse web sight. Found black leather front pocket holster that covers the trigger guard. Looks good, but at $60 it better.

mbaza3

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Nov 21, 2009
    Arizona
    I have used one of the below pocket holsters for my 380 for a couple of years and really like it. I can get a full grip on the pistol in my pocket for a smooth easy draw. I tried nylon and leather pocket holsters but I prefer Kydex.

Holsters

mbaza3

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Nov 21, 2009
    Arizona
    I always wanted to try a Mika but heard they can fill up your pocket. I found a Kydex pocket holster barely takes up any more space than the pistol alone. Of course, that means it can print more but I will trade that for a quick draw.

mbaza3

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Nov 21, 2009
    Arizona
    Ditto to the comments below from alhambra lion

palerider0485

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2009
    just north of muncie.
    my pocket is my holster. ive tried a few pocket holsters before and didnt like them, looks bulky and seems to slow down my draw, if your carring cocked and locked i would use a holster though, so that gun dosnt get tossed around, i carry a colt pocketlite which is very very similar to your 238. i have hammer down just in pocket, that works best for me.

LANShark42

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Evansville
    I have a Talon pocket holster for my Diamondback DB9. I think it looks like I have a large wallet in my back pocket when I carry it there. Would I consider it "hidden"? No, not at all. But I think few would think "GUN!" if they noticed it at all.

It's very well made. Reasonably easy to draw from and stays put when I draw.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    I've got to add my endorsement of the DeSantis Nemisis pocket holster. It works well with what I wear during the week and my S&W BG-38. It's stays put when the pistol is drawn. Not that I care that much, but I don't think it "prints" much. In fact, depending on which pair of pants I'm wearing, you're more likely to see the grip protruding before you see the print of a gun in my pocket.

danmdevries

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 28, 2009
    Top Left Corner
    Big fan of desantis holsters period. First pocket holster I truly liked, first belt holster I trusted. The only thing negative I have to say about the desantis nemesis pocket holsters is that over the course of a year or two depending on pocket, the holster will print "gun" but will still be a safe way to pocket carry with easy draw.

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    Salem
    my pocket is my holster. ive tried a few pocket holsters before and didnt like them, looks bulky and seems to slow down my draw, if your carring cocked and locked i would use a holster though, so that gun dosnt get tossed around, i carry a colt pocketlite which is very very similar to your 238. i have hammer down just in pocket, that works best for me.

For the record - I respectfully disagree with this if you are carrying anything but empty chamber. And even then I'm cautious. Covering the trigger helps to prevent a bunch of different ND scenarios. I don't carry a P238 - and I do carry a Kahr (DAO) - so it may well be different. That said - ANY pocket holster strikes me as way better than going unholstered. Again - to each their own - and if it works for you, good - but I wouldn't take that route myself.

marv

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    Gatchel, IN
    I do not believe the 10-12 lb DAO trigger on a revolver or auto can be accidentally pulled far enough to fire the gun. That said, I use a holster to prevent pocket wear and help hold the gun in position.

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    Salem
    A lot of ND's happen sliding them back into a pocket, etc. Commonly attributed to Glocks... but I doubt that it's them alone. Seems much safer to me to cover the trigger. Again - to each their own. I actually use a Sticky pocket holster for my CM9.

Top Bottom