• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • armedindy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 10, 2011
    I am looking for a small, lightweight carry pistol that i can stick in the pocket of my basketball shorts or pajama/sweat pants. sometimes i like to be protected in comfrot ha. anyways, i was looking at some .380s but think id rather have a 9mm. i really like the size and weight of the lcp's and lc9's, but id prefer to have a double action as well due to the shorter trigger pull, i know it may not be optimal if your carrying with one chambered, but its just the way im used to using pistols and really prefer the crisper trigger pull. anyone have any imput?

! twitty

Master
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    May 1, 2011
    NE Indy
    Welcome to Ingo. I would suggest you use the "search" feature and looking up pocket pistol. This subject has been discussed in depth many times now. Btw, I prefer the Kahr CM9

fnpfan

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 96.9%
    31   1   0
    Jul 4, 2010
    Larwill
    The diamondback guns are good for that, very light weight, and comes in 9mm and .380 not many guns smaller, and they are built better than kel-tec for sure

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    The other thread did cover pocket carry extensively, but I don't think it really hit on these types of pants at all. These outfits do not have belts (makes a huge difference) and probably have small pockets. Therefore, you would need to go small/light for pocket carry.

Although normally I would recommend the Kahr CM9 as a good pocket 9mm, I suspect you would be better off with a Keltec P3AT or a Ruger LCP in those outfits. The Ruger LC9 is almost twice as heavy as those two. The only 9mms that is even close in weight are the Keltec PF9 and Diamondback.

If you are wearing those types of outfits a lot, you might want to consider a SmartCarry instead of pocket carry. That will allow you to carry a heavier/larger firearm without a belt.

Taylorz71

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 21, 2011
    Central IN
    I went with the Taurus TCP, and a friend of mine has the Ruger LCP for this exact purpose. They are small and light, and you might forget that you are even carrying one of them. They both seem to shoot and weigh the same. The .380 is going to be your best bet for the pocket of basketball shorts I think.

Quad

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 7, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    I went with the Taurus TCP, and a friend of mine has the Ruger LCP for this exact purpose. They are small and light, and you might forget that you are even carrying one of them. They both seem to shoot and weigh the same. The .380 is going to be your best bet for the pocket of basketball shorts I think.

^^^This.

I would prefer to have a 9mm as well, but you just can't beat a good .380 in a pocket for concealment purposes.

I can take my LCP in my pocket all day long and even forget it's there sometimes.

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    There are a number of good choices, I like the S&W Bodygaurd, The LCP is a nice choice also. Try an hold a few of them or even better if you can shoot a few to see what you like best

Michiana

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 3, 2008
    Granger
    Be careful of Diamondbacks

The diamondback guns are good for that, very light weight, and comes in 9mm and .380 not many guns smaller, and they are built better than kel-tec for sure

I owned and try to carry a Diamondback and had nothing but feed problems with the gun so dumped it as fast as I could on Gunbroker to a guy in FL. I have owned them all and settled on the Sig 238 and don't even look anymore. Never had an issue of any kind and it looks and works like a mini 1911. Check it out before you buy anything; it costs more but what is your life worth to you and your family? Now if you really want to carry the best and have money to spare buy yourself a Rohrbaugh 9mm so you don't have people accusing you of carrying a wimpy .380. You are looking at over a grand so they are not for everybody.

Dirtebiker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Greenwood
    I know you said you'd like something like a 9mm, and the pf9, and the diamond backs, and such are nice, small guns. Personally for pocket carry, especially with no belt, I like the Derringer style guns. I've got one in 22lr and one in 22mag. I usually have the magnum in my pocket. They also make them in 32, and I believe 38, probably other calibers too.

abraham743

Marksman
    Rating - 98.1%
    51   1   0
    Aug 17, 2011
    Indy SS
    I personally looked at the lcp, keltec, and Bg380. I went with BG380. It has some features the other 2 do not. and size difference was minimal. It is in my pocket sitting around the house.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Valparaiso
    I am looking for a small, lightweight carry pistol that i can stick in the pocket of my basketball shorts or pajama/sweat pants. sometimes i like to be protected in comfrot ha. anyways, i was looking at some .380s but think id rather have a 9mm. i really like the size and weight of the lcp's and lc9's, but id prefer to have a double action as well due to the shorter trigger pull, i know it may not be optimal if your carrying with one chambered, but its just the way im used to using pistols and really prefer the crisper trigger pull. anyone have any imput?

Kel-Tec PF9 or P11 if you want a reliable, small lightweight carry pistol in a 9.

But I don't understand your sentence..."but id prefer to have a double action as well due to the shorter trigger pull"...a DA is going to have a longer trigger pull rather than shorter.

Lastly, why not get both? Get a PF9 and an LCP and you're set for any style of dress. The LCP is great for me when I am wearing shorts, bicycle riding or even in the pocket of my swim trunks (as long as I remember NOT to enter the water) when I'm at the beach.

rnungester

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Plainfield, IN
    have you looked into the Karh 9mm, or if that is to expensive, what about a kel tec p-11 9mm? Both are great! Both are compact, light weight, easy to conceal and the kel tec even has a pocket clip. You can't beat it for the price

gunduffer

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 16, 2011
    SE INDY
    My favorite carry 9 would be the Kahr pw9030 I believe. Its the $800 one with the lazer sight, that is pretty light. My budget only allowed a pf9 $250. Its DA only, not a short trigger pull, but I think its a good gun for the money and would bet my life with it after shooting several hundred rounds of dirty ammo to get it broke in. Its my winter carry gun. I use a .380 carry gun for summer, TCP 733, the ruger or KT would probably do just as well as long as you shoot several hundred rounds through them to break them in. I recommend only fmj with these guns, unless you get powerball or critical defense. I just don't trust the hp through these small guns not hanging up vs a full size gun.

Top Bottom