• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • yenningcomity

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    I am looking to get my LTCH within the next couple of months. I started off thinking I would get something along the size of a Walther PPS / PPK, but after thinking it over I would rather get used to carrying something small and work my way up later on. I do realize that most would consider .380 marginal for SD, however I would rather deal with the smaller size and lighter recoil of .25 or possibly .32.

So far I am looking at the Beretta Jetfire, Beretta Bobcat, Colt Jr, Baby Browning. I stopped in PSS last night and handled a .32 Bobcat. I quite liked it except for thinking the grip was a little fat for such a small caliber. I have also read that it has a tendency to crack. Does anyone have any suggestions or experience?

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Don't rule out larger handguns. A proper belt and a good holster, along with pants one size larger and you can carry a bigger pistol and have it conceal just as well as a pocket gun. I started with a pocket gun years ago for exactly the same reason until I figured out how to carry a larger pistol comfortably.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    If you have your heart set on a 380 (and I'd try to talk you into a 9mm), I think your initial thinking was pretty good, something along the size of the Walther PPK/SIG P232/Bersa Thunder 380 is a decent size (although definitely on the large end of the pocket envelope) and they are relatively soft shooters (if recoil is your chief concern) without unduly sacrificing ergonomics as tends to happen as handguns get smaller and smaller on into picket or mousegun territory.

The Bersas have the added advantage of being a pretty good value in quality/dollar terms.

A larger gun will be more versatile in the long run.

Last edited:

wtfd661

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    North East Indiana
    What type and caliber gun you buy is of course up to you, but since you asked for opinions, they make some pretty small 9mm's now. I think if you went and looked at them you could find some that won't take out a lot of room on your belt and wold be very comfortable to carry. 9mm to shoot is not bad on the recoil and 9mm ammo is still relatively cheap to shoot so you can get a lot of range time with it. Good luck to you and enjoy the gun shopping experience. :rockwoot:

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    I generally on wear shorts/pants with cargo pockets... perfect for my G27 with an extra mag in the other pocket.

No comfort issues what so ever.

I've also carried Kel-tec's and like them as well.

I prefer something in 9mm or higher, but I wouldn't charge someone pointing a .380 at me.

Last edited:

Sailor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    Don't rule out larger handguns. A proper belt and a good holster, along with pants one size larger and you can carry a bigger pistol and have it conceal just as well as a pocket gun. I started with a pocket gun years ago for exactly the same reason until I figured out how to carry a larger pistol comfortably.

Ditto, dress around your weapon.

Steve

Master
    Rating - 100%
    87   0   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Gotta agree with the 9mm as is minimum caliber (carry a .40 Kahr myself). Keltec, Bersa, Kahr, and Taurus all make compact 9mm that are great pocket guns. I would suggest that you go to a range that rents guns as well and spend some extra $ to fire a few different models to see which fits your hand the best.

Better to spend some $ and time now than to buy something that you find you don't like and don't carry later.

figley

Expert
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    SW Indy
    there are options in 9mm that aren't that big

G26, Kel-Tec Pf9, Walther PPS, Taurus 709 to name a few.

Get with somebody knowledgeable, and have them help you put together a good rig. Preferably, not a gunshop goon who doesn't necessarily have your best interest at heart.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    Being a revolver fan I will throw out the obligatory Smith J-Frame suggestion.

You can get an ultra light in .38 +p or .357.
    Hammerless versions are pretty much sealed against dirt/lint migration that
    pocket guns tend to collect more so with an auto.

Just more suggestions. :twocents: YMMV IANAGEBIDSAAHILN ;)

chachi73

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 7, 2009
    west burbs
    start small. kel tec .32 or .380. cost around $270. disappears in your front pocket. when i first started ccing i was very self conscience about the bulge. but after awhile you realize noone else can tell with the right pocket holster. if you start any bigger, you may end up leaving it at home due to feeling like everyone is looking at you. you can always work you're way up to a larger frame. you'll end up buying more anyway.....once you start, you can't stop!!!! :) congrats on getting LTCH!

yenningcomity

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Thanks for the replies guys, but I do not want a larger gun. I am not that big to begin with, and while a good belt and holster can help offset the size I do not have the funds to experiment with that yet.

My reasoning for carrying .32 or .25 is due to both size and also penetration. While many of you might worry that nothing under *insert caliber size here* will reliable incapacitate a threat I worry about over penetration. I do understand that you should always see where you are hitting, but ballistics is not an exact science. You cannot know that your bullet will not go through your target, you do not know that it will stop when it hits what you thought was a solid wall. While I might be looking to save my own skin I have to live with the fact that if I pull the trigger it may do more damage then I intended and as such I would rather minimize that risk. That is my personal opinion and for the time being I will stick to it.

chachi73 I will take a gander at that kel tec next time I go out looking thanks.

Maverick

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jun 3, 2009
    Central Indiana
    My first carry gun that I actually carried was a Kel-Tec .32. I still use it quite a bit, But now carry a Kahr PM9. I would also suggest starting small so you will use it and try some larger guns as you begin to get more comfortable. Never was a big fan of the Beretta, I still own one thats been in a box for about 10 years. Terrible accuracy and ergonomics. I am a fan of the j- frames however.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    Lots of good stuff in pocket size available. Browning makes nice little 380's and there is the Colt mustang sized ones also. I have a Jennings/raven p-25 and I can tell you it would even be better than a thrown rock or a sharp stick and it is not much of a gun.

PLANEMECH

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 14, 2009
    Decatur, IN
    I would suggest the P32 keltec have had one for over 6 years and like American express says " I would not leave home with out it" since it is
    so easy to conceal. I always looked at it as I carried to protect my family and myself not to carry around and show off to others or scare them.

GregD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Oct 7, 2009
    Madison County
    When you start talking about a 25acp I would suggest to you would be better off with a 22lr. But, of the two you are interested, my vote would go to the .32acp.
    I'm also slim built and have no trouble covering the Walther PPK/s.

Hondo

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 7, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I had one of the Beretta bearcats in .22lr and could never find ammo that would feed consistantly and traded it for a colt mustang .380....it is a little touchy on the ammo it likes too. I just recently got a smith 646 in .38+p revolver and it is my new favorite....no woriies about smi auto stove pipes. It fires every time. Mine is the hammerless model. It fits nice in a coat pocket and I really like the +p rather than the .380

Just my 2 cts worth...as noted above once you get 1 you'll have to get another...just like Lays potato chips, no one can have just 1:)

csm47362

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 95.8%
    23   1   0
    Jun 12, 2009
    New Castle, IN
    I must admit I was unsure of a kel-tec when I first got my P32, but now I don't leave home with out it. Very easy to carry even in the summer with shorts. Would it be my gun of choice for a fire fight, no, but I still think it will get the job done when you need it to. I picked my wife one up at the last 1500 for only $120.

JohnP82

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 2, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I too suggest the KelTec either .32 or .380 I have the P32 and I love it. I have had it for several years now. It is always on me and it is never a problem to carry no matter what I am wearing. It is even on me when I am out mowing the yard or going for a walk in the neighborhood. It is not my first choice as I also always have my Glock with me, but it is better than nothing. Even later down the road if you step up to a larger sized handgun you will find that the pocket pistol still comes in very handy. Good luck in your decision!

Top Bottom