• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jackson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2008
    West side of Indy
    I like the aluminum magazines. I have some PMAGS that do not drop free in a couple of my receivers and that annoys me. I also like the smaller size and slicker material. They pack, stack, and go in and out of pouches smoothly. I can fit a bunch of them very evenly in to a SAW can.

That said, for most people's use (which is typically plinking at the range), just about any magazine would do.

warthog

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Vigo County
    I do admit that all those hundreds of USGI mags I own have had the MagPul followers put into them. Those make these magazines in my opinion hard to beat for any reason you can think of under the sun. Pmagz and USGI mage will bend, break and fail if you are trying to do this and certainly in combat this will happen as well. NOTHING is failure-proof I can think of but I prefer the USGI to the polymer magazines of any make because they fit well in my rifles (and a pistol) as well as other people's weapons without fail while the poly mags have needed some sanding for ome firearms to fit.

USGI mags, at least when I bought the teo cases of them, were also a LOT cheaper even replacing the followers. I guess in my mind that makes them even harder to beat than poly mags. Those poly mags I do have are from finding them for sale here and other forums for a much reduced price making them great for the range for me. To rach their own though, that is just my way of things.

Phoenix1

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 7, 2014
    Greenwood
    I have no experience with GI mags, but Pmags seem to be very well made and durable. My AR15 only came with one, and I'm buying more Pmags.

Beowulf

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    Brownsburg
    For me, PMags and ELander steel mags. I had plenty of GI mags fail on me over the years (just range use, thankfully I never had to put any of my guns to any other). Granted, most of my GI mags were indeed GI mags and so were used when I bought them.

But, PMags work in all my guns that take STANAG mags without issue (only my FS2000 didn't like them and I sold that off last year).

ryan3030

Master
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    Indy
    I use both. My preference goes to PMAGs, but after seeing how frequently they split when dropped on the spine I'm starting to favor my aluminum mags.

Someone needs to make a premium AR mag that doesn't split like polymer and has steel reinforced feed lips so those don't bend when dropped on. Lancer claims this but their bodies are still polymer.

Fordtough25

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.1%
    111   1   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    Jefferson County
    I have a ton of GI mags and several pmags, like both. I do prefer the GI mags with good followers because they fit in pouches a bit better and drop free always. Price wise they are pretty close these days but you can get surplus GI mags pretty cheap at venues like knob creek etc...

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    You can get PMAG's for the same price...

True, but you have to do a bit of hunting to find them at that price. In most places, a non-windowed PMag will run $12.30. That's not much when buying one, but adds up quickly when buying a 10 pack. Right now, my mag collection is about 50% PMag (gen 2 mostly). I have run both and have not had issues with either USGI mags or PMags.

ottoclicker

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 26, 2011
    I was wondering why people go for PMAGS over GI standard Mags?

I wanted to be like the cool kids.
    I have both and this pmag just broke a feed lip while shooting over the weekend. That is the 4th pmag I have had fail.
    I have never had a failure on the GI mags.

223 Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    202   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Red Sector A
    I wanted to be like the cool kids.
    I have both and this pmag just broke a feed lip while shooting over the weekend. That is the 4th pmag I have had fail.
    I have never had a failure on the GI mags.

I'm sure if you mail them back to Magpul, they will send you out new mags. They do have outstanding customer service, at least that has been my experience.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I was wondering why people go for PMAGS over GI standard Mags?

1. I can load 30 rounds in Pmags and reload with a closed bolt without issues (not so with some GI mags)
    2. Pmags are a lot more rugged. I step on a GI mag and it's toast. I step on a Pmag and it's usually okay.

gamer

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 16, 2015
    Fort Wayne
    1. I can load 30 rounds in Pmags and reload with a closed bolt without issues (not so with some GI mags)
    2. Pmags are a lot more rugged. I step on a GI mag and it's toast. I step on a Pmag and it's usually okay.

Two things great to consider. I appreciate that info.

Top Bottom