Please test fire the gun before it becomes your EDC.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia
    I don't have any set number of rounds to shoot before I carry it, but there's no way I'd carry a gun I'd never shot. Not only do you need to know that it functions, that it's sighted properly, and that it will feed whatever you plan to carry but I think you just need that confidence in the gun. Heaven forbid you actually end up in a self-defense situation and your first thought is "I hope this thing fires!" Also, I don't buy into the LNIB stuff. If you've carried it, fired it, fondled it, etc. then it's used. I'd always had great luck buying used guns on INGO and other sites until two bad ones within the past year or so. It's starting to be a better deal to me just to buy it new so I know that it will work like the seller says it will, or at least I have some recourse. In that regard, I most certainly won't be paying nearly new prices for a used gun because somebody says it has low round count, hardly carried, LNIB, or whatever else is advertised. I've also run across guns sold on Armslist and similar sites which turned out to be stolen. At this point it's just not worth the risk factor of buying used off a stranger unless it's a heck of a deal or I know the person selling it.

ModernGunner

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    NWI
    NOT function testing any EDC is foolhardy, at best. At it's worst, it's a potentially fatal mistake. But, I guess it's just human nature to 'roll the dice' and HOPE one doesn't 'crap out', literally.

Have seen a few 'NIB' firearms being advertised for sale, privately, on INGO.

Unless that Seller is a licensed gun dealer, then that firearm is NOT "New In Box", regardless of how many rounds have or have not been fired through it. It's used, and can only be legitimately sold as used.

Advertising it as such is blatant false advertising and should be addressed as such by the Mods (rather than worrying about something as mundane as the 'Wallet' thread). If INGO allows such advertising (even by ignoring it), it's a nightmare waiting to happen, sooner or later, for the site owner and those who wield the authority to oversee it.

Then again, rarely do any true 'bargains' appear in the INGO classifieds. It's usually used stuff (unless the Seller is the maker or a licensed gun dealer, as noted), and it's only worth 'Used' prices. Since FTF transactions often wouldn't permit test-firing, there's no way to know if the firearm is actually functional, and little to no recourse if a problem is discovered.

Easier to just buy new from a reputable gun shop. And typically (at least for most ads put forth), the small discount simply isn't worth the potential issues.

As always, caveat emptor.

AA&E

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 4, 2014
    Southern Indiana
    Always shoot 500 rounds FMJ range ammo to check reliability, then at least 250 rounds of whatever I carry for reliability and familiarity purposes.

After cleaning factory gunk and making sure things are in order and lubed properly of course.

Never understood why people would buy a gun to carry, and only fire maybe 100 rounds to check function. How well can you know a pistol in 100 rounds and one range session?

Many people likely don't have $500 in ammo to run through a $350+ firearm as you suggest. I have several firearms that I wouldn't hesitate to carry everyday, that probably don't have 500 rounds through them in their entire lives. I agree with your premise, but I'd say making sure the ammo you plan to utilize for self defense functions reliably is a minimum standard.

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    I bet a lot of people who posted in this thread don't own more then 5 mags for their various guns.

Asking the number of mags owned is a backdoor question to determining how a person defines reliability. We ain't all on the same page.

SteveM4A1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 3, 2013
    Rockport
    I bet a lot of people who posted in this thread don't own more then 5 mags for their various guns.

Asking the number of mags owned is a backdoor question to determining how a person defines reliability. We ain't all on the same page.

I own exactly 5. Do I win a prize?

SteveM4A1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 3, 2013
    Rockport
    Sweet. Do I win a new magazine? Then I could have 6!

I've carried 3 different handguns, and each one of them had approx. 300 rounds of range ammo put down them and at least 1 box of carry ammo before I started carrying them. Seems like a decent number to me

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    Sweet. Do I win a new magazine? Then I could have 6!

I've carried 3 different handguns, and each one of them had approx. 300 rounds of range ammo put down them and at least 1 box of carry ammo before I started carrying them. Seems like a decent number to me
    Yes Steve, you may have in fact won multiple prizes!

You did not verify that your date of birth is after 8/83.

We also need additional information. Average capacity of your 5 mags. Caliber. Is it a Glock?

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    Good advice. Anyone who does any amount of shooting knows that misfeeds and jams occur all the time. Some firearms have more finicky appetites that others. Sure don't want to find out when your life is on the line that your EDC doesn't like the ammo you just purchased.

INDYFAN

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 30, 2009
    Fishers
    Since any gun (or other piece of machinery) can fail at any time, maybe we should spend as much time on TAP, RACK, BOOM as we do throwing very expensive o downrange.

SteveM4A1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 3, 2013
    Rockport
    Yes Steve, you may have in fact won multiple prizes!

You did not verify that your date of birth is after 8/83.

We also need additional information. Average capacity of your 5 mags. Caliber. Is it a Glock?

It is indeed after 08/83!

Average capacity is 13 rounds of .45 ACP. No, I do not carry a Glock.

Just give me my free mags!

Cemetery-man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 26, 2009
    Bremen
    Good advice. Anyone who does any amount of shooting knows that misfeeds and jams occur all the time. Some firearms have more finicky appetites that others. Sure don't want to find out when your life is on the line that your EDC doesn't like the ammo you just purchased.

I feel fortunate that out of all my handguns, Only one (LCP) ever had any issues. Until recently, I never had access to a nearby range so I didn't get out a lot to shoot so most of my handguns had less than 500 rounds through each of them until this spring. Now that it's allowed I have been able to get to the local police range a couple times a week so those numbers are quickly going up and I can still happily say they have all performed flawlessly even with my reloads.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    What's a realistic absolute minimum you would recommend someone running through a gun they just bought? We all have the numbers we are comfortable with and since most of us are gun nuts, we're itching to take the gun out and exercise it as quickly as possible after we get our hands on it. But, let's say the non-gun nut next door or at work tells you they are going to save their money to get a gun for home defense. Buying the gun will stretch their budget. In that situation, what would you recomment the minimum number of rounds be? What number would you think they would be better off without a gun than to buy one without being able to shoot that number?

Top Bottom