Please share your deer/venison recipes (& other game)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • All_Clear

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    Avon, IN
    If this needs moved mods please feel free.

I'm looking for others to share their "to die for" deer/venison recipes. I plan to make some jerky tomorrow and stew in the crock pot. There are tons of online recipes and it's hard to pick just one. So what better way then to ask fellow hunters and forum members for their advise (my trust falls on you guys for the best of the best) I also have some ground in the freezer that i may do some chili with but haven't decided.

I also hunt other game, rabbit & squirrel but please add any wild game recipe you'd like, I'm sure it will benifit others in their search or in trying something new.

Thanks guys
    Nathan

one more

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    If this needs moved mods please feel free.

I'm looking for others to share their "to die for" deer/venison recipes. I plan to make some jerky tomorrow and stew in the crock pot. There are tons of online recipes and it's hard to pick just one. So what better way then to ask fellow hunters and forum members for their advise (my trust falls on you guys for the best of the best) I also have some ground in the freezer that i may do some chili with but haven't decided.

I also hunt other game, rabbit & squirrel but please add any wild game recipe you'd like, I'm sure it will benifit others in their search or in trying something new.

Thanks guys
    Nathan

What!? Man that is like asking Aunt Milly for her best pie recipe! :draw:

Like asking Uncle Bob where his best Mushroom woods is! :draw: :draw:

Why do you think Grandma has a Safety Deposit Box at the Bank? And the only time of year she go's to the Bank to get in the Safety Deposit Box is before Thanksgiving and Christmas!? Man all of those recipes!

:draw: :draw: :draw: :draw: :draw: :draw: :draw: :draw::draw::draw:

These are things you just do not ask! Nathan when you work up a Great Jerky or Summer Sausage Recipe that everyone else loves you just can not tell anyone-----------cause you the MAN!!!!!!:cool:

JBob77

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 7, 2009
    Scott County
    I think this is a great idea, although I don't have any amazing recipes to post. Besides, you wouldn't have to give your super secret away, but some different ideas and such could be a good thing.

I used to simmer my deer steaks or sliced tenderloin in margarine and worchestershire sauce, and sprinkle with black pepper after turning. Tasted pretty darn good to me.

I have also had rabbit and egg noodles. I assume you boil it, same as chicken, and cooked it in with the noodles. MMM, MMM, GOOD. makes me wanna go chase some fluffytails soon!!

one more

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Hey Nathan,

Sorry, but I could not help myself with this one!:laugh:

It has been a year or two since I have made any jerky or summer sausage. The recipes I have used are from the “Conservation Officer’s Cooking T.I.P.s” This is an Indiana Conservation Law Enforcement Officer book that was Printed in July of 1993. Do not know if they ever reprinted it and also the cook book “Wild Game and Country Cooking” by Timothy Manion. This was a Mossberg cook book, the one I have was printed in 1985. You will have to check Mossberg’s site to see if they still have them.
    Anyway the recipes I use have been the ones that marinate for two to three days before cooking. I used these as base recipes then the spice store is the limit! Take some of this out, put a little more of this in or try some of this new spice all together. I like the Indiana DNR Cook Book the best. A lot of the recipes use liquid smoke and I have done them with and with out. I think you can very good flavor using spices if you do not care for the taste of liquid smoke. Also Nathan, when you try something different then the base recipe write it down as you go. That way if it the "to die from recipe" you have it wrote down. :yesway:

I may dig up the lock box and pull a recipe out but:dunno::dunno:

With the DNR cook book, all proceeds went directly to the T.I.P. Reward Fund. Will need to get on the DNR's web site to see if it is still available. If not maybe some of us on :ingo: can get it reprinted??

All_Clear

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    Avon, IN
    Hey Nathan,

Sorry, but I could not help myself with this one!:laugh:

Hey that's OK. Not like i asked for your secret hunting spot, however if you'd like to share i'd like to hunt :D. I know not everyone is going to share in the wealth but I've never cooked venison so i figured i'd go to the guys and gals i trust, rather then some random site that claims it's the best ever.

Right now i have my crockpot stew started... I kind of made a mix of my own from recipes i've read... It is as follows... Also as i learned from my Grandma i eyeball thing instead of exact measurements....
    Venison
    Baby bella mushrooms
    Carrots
    Red potatoes
    Beef broth
    Red wine (i went with sweet)
    Pepper, Salt, Thyme, Basil
    Topped off with water
    Plan to add some flour to thicken it up a bit... but it smells amazing so far!!!

I've left the jerky and marinading to the wife. It's TOP SECRET! :dunno:

Thanks
    Nathan

paperboy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 18, 2009
    Pulaski County
    Put a venison roast in the crock pot with a can of cream of mushroom soup,
    1 to 1 1/2 cans of water and a packet of dry onion soup mix. Slow cook all day. I then tear the meat apart in the pot and kind of stir everything up. I then serve this over egg noodles. YYYUUUMMMM!!!!!!

Big John

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 20, 2009
    Right now i have my crockpot stew started... I kind of made a mix of my own from recipes i've read... It is as follows... Also as i learned from my Grandma i eyeball thing instead of exact measurements....
    Venison
    Baby bella mushrooms
    Carrots
    Red potatoes
    Beef broth
    Red wine (i went with sweet)
    Pepper, Salt, Thyme, Basil
    Topped off with water
    Plan to add some flour to thicken it up a bit... but it smells amazing so far!!!

I've left the jerky and marinading to the wife. It's TOP SECRET! :dunno:

Thanks
    Nathan

Nathan instead of flour use some Instant Mashed Potato mix to thicken it up, I have found this works better plus you don't end up with any flour taste.

Also wait until it is almost finished as the thickened mix will affect cook time.

All_Clear

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    Avon, IN
    Nathan instead of flour use some Instant Mashed Potato mix to thicken it up, I have found this works better plus you don't end up with any flour taste.

Also wait until it is almost finished as the thickened mix will affect cook time.

Got ya, Thanks for the tip! I will do just that when it's about ready. This kind of tip is exactly what i was looking for!!!

Thanks to all. :ingo: members are the best!

Drbrok

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2009
    I always cut my whole deer into steaks. I soak them in whorschester sauce over night, pepper & slow cook them on the grill.

Cain71

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 17, 2009
    Columbus
    My favorite is to flour steaks add your salt and pepper and brown in skillet,after the steaks are about 3/4 done remove them,add mushroom soup and a little milk and thicken with flour,making gravy, put steaks back into gravy and let simmer until done about 15 minutes, if you put your biscuits on about the time you return meat to gravy all will be done at the same time. great with fried potatoes

Big John

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 20, 2009
    Another trick for a great stew is to mix up some flour, salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder and bread the meat and just quickly brown it in oil in a fry pan.

Then place the meat on top of all your veggies in the slow cooker.

I save the drippings and mix them with 1/2 cup water and 2 bullion cubes ,whorschester sauce, and thicken that with the instant mashed potatoes and add that to the slow cooker in the last 30 mins or so.

My recipe..

4 lbs cubed roast
    5 potatoes (cubed, skin on)
    1 onion (diced)
    6 carrots (chunked) or 30 baby carrots
    2 cups beef broth
    4 cloves Garlic (finely sliced)
    Crushed Red Pepper
    Sea Salt

Put the carrots on the bottom, then potatoes, onion, garlic.
    Add Beef Broth and set to High temp
    Brown meat then add to top.

Average 5 hours or so I just check it at about 4 hours and see how done the potatoes are.

Some people like corn and peas in their stew if so use frozen veggies add about 1 hour before stew is finished.

den57

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 28, 2009
    Franklin, In
    Venison EggRolls:

1lb ground venison
    Med. onion
    Block of Pepperjack cheese
    Taco seasoning mix ( your brand choice )
    Salsa
    Sour cream
    lettuce
    Package of Eggrolls

Brown the venison in a med. size pan. Chop up the onion and add to the venison and cook until onions are clear and soft.

When the onions are clear, add the Taco seasoning and cook per the instructions. When you have the venison done, set aside and let cool for a few minutes.

Take the block of Pepperjack cheese and cut 1/4" strips of cheese off the end of the cheese, and then cut another 1/4" off of the strips to make little 1/4" sticks of cheese. You can make them bigger if you like, just don't make them so big that the sticks won't fit in the eggroll.

Take the eggroll from the package and put 1 tablespoon of the venison mixture on to the center of the eggroll, and then lay a piece of the Pepperjack cheese on top of it and then roll the eggroll per the instruction on the eggroll package.

While you are makeing the eggrolls, heat up a deep fryer or a pan with some some oil deep enough to fry the eggrolls in. When oil is hot, deep fry the eggrolls until golden brown on both side.

I serve the eggrolls ( a couple per plate ) with salsa, lettuce and sour cream over the top of the eggrolls. Along with sides of refried beans and mexican rice.

Enjoy...... ( sorry for the long post ) :)

sp3worker

Expert
    Rating - 96.9%
    31   1   0
    Feb 11, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I have a few. I mostly just eyeball the ingrediants.

Venison Steak Tacos

-Cut venison backstrap steaks

-Make a marinade with- lime juice, olive oil, fresh cilantro, jalepeno pepper, fresh garlic, cumin, chili powder, cayanne pepper, salt and pepper. Rub into the meat and let marinate for an hour or so.

-Cook untill done on grill

-Slice and serve with preferred taco toppings

Venison Stew

-Start with browning about 1 1/2 pounds of chunked meat with some fresh garlic, salt and pepper in the pot you are going to make the stew in.

-Add 2 packs of stew seasoning, water, 2 bags of frozen vegtables, chopped up potatos, celery and carrots.

-Let cook slowly, it seems to taste best when slowly cooking on top of a wood stove all day.

I have a couple different recipies for making Venison Breakfast Sausage, but don't have them with me, I'll post them later.

All_Clear

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    Avon, IN
    Hey Thanks guys for all the recipes and input on different stuff to use... I must say my stew turned out GOOD! I probably wont be using the sweet red wine next time, I like sweet (and i drink the wine i used) but i will go with a much DRYER red next time. But in all it came out great! I did use the instant mash instead of flour awesome idea! Thanks!

Just got home from getting my very first deer ever. He was a small button buck, didn't know untill after i had shot him. Thought it was 2 does walking in come to find out they were 2 button bucks, i got a good look at the smaller one when he ran right at me after shooting the lead deer, ended up standing maybe 10 yards from me before he huffed & ran off. My buddy scared them my way from another small woods when he took the 8pt they were with. And to top it all off, my wifes jerky was done when i got home. I must say man that's some good stuff!!!!! She can't wait to get out with me weekend after Thanksgiving. We are excited!!!

Today was a good day!!!! :rockwoot:

Nathan

Sweet James

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 26, 2009
    London
    1 large garlic clove (about five does me)
    1tsp pepper
    1/2tsp Italian seasoning
    2tbs, plus 2 tsp olive oil
    1 loin
    2tbs chopped onion
    1/2 cup sliced onion
    1/2 cup beef bouillion
    1/4 cup merlot wine
    1 tsp Worcestershire
    2 tsp butter
    in a bowl, garlic, pepper, Italian seasoning and 2 tsp of oilmix and rub on loin, refridgerate for 2-3 hours
    add the rest of the oil and 1tsp butter to a skillet med high, cook loin till pink in center, remove, add onions, mushrooms saute then add beef bouillion, merlot and worcestershire, reduce about half add 1 tsp butter, and pour over loin.
    enjoy.

jmiller676

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 16, 2009
    18 feet up
    Charcoal grilled steaks.

Take your finest cut of steak marinated in Zesty Italian for about 4 hours. (Not to long or the steaks get soggy) Grill over a nice hot flame. Make some mashed potatoes, corn, rolls and enjoy. :D

All_Clear

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    Avon, IN
    Top Bottom