• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • GChambers

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2015
    Fishers
    New here. Great site. Lots of good information.

I'm looking to purchase an Over Under. I caught the Sporting Clays bug and would like to find a decent Over Under that won't put me into bankruptcy. I'd like to keep the spend around $1000 or less if possible.

1. Not crappy quality
    2. Reliable
    3. Accurate
    4. Not ugly to look at

Pretty much in that order.

I'm assume this will be like anything else I've done in the past like race cars and mountain bikes where I did some research, bought one then used it for a while while I learned what I really wanted the 2nd time around. I'd like to avoid that here. Can someone help me along and let me know what I should be looking for? Also, why are these things so damn expensive? They seem like fairly simple guns. Is it all about the fancy engravings?

Thanks in advance for any help you can give.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Fit and finish, name, and fancy-ness seems to rule the price. I've got a no frills field grade Stoeger Condor and I love it. $400 new.

Its a little stiff, but it's getting easier to open. No frills, basic wood furniture, and it looks like a working gun, not something you would fine in a display case. But dammit, it busts clays just like one 10x the cost.

Im sure it won't hold up to prolonged use (several rounds of sporting clays a weeekend every weekend) like a browning, but for my occasional use its perfect.

hoosierdaddy1976

I Can't Believe it's not Shooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Mar 17, 2011
    newton county
    What is our price range?

Bang for the buck? Maybe a CZ Redhead. Or Beretta 686?

Or, are you going all out?

I like this guy already.:D

New here. Great site. Lots of good information.

I'm looking to purchase an Over Under. I caught the Sporting Clays bug and would like to find a decent Over Under that won't put me into bankruptcy. I'd like to keep the spend around $1000 or less if possible.

1. Not crappy quality
    2. Reliable
    3. Accurate
    4. Not ugly to look at

Pretty much in that order.

I'm assume this will be like anything else I've done in the past like race cars and mountain bikes where I did some research, bought one then used it for a while while I learned what I really wanted the 2nd time around. I'd like to avoid that here. Can someone help me along and let me know what I should be looking for? Also, why are these things so damn expensive? They seem like fairly simple guns. Is it all about the fancy engravings?

Thanks in advance for any help you can give.

exhibit A, your honor.

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    Used Beretta or Browning under $1k will be worn, but reliable, good shooter and reliable. Emphasis on reliable. Good balance and design.

You said sporting clays so I assume you mean sporting clays and not backyard stuff at a friend's farm.

To answer your question, they are not simple and high volume shooting is hard on a cheap O/U and the shooter. You see grasshopper you actually WANT a heavier gun. This is a gun you shoot a lot and carry a little. Direct opposite of a field gun. So today's cheap O/U's are cheap and light. You will feel it and wish you had bought a semi auto instead.

After 300-400 rounds in a few hours with one you will also wish you had used lighter loads.

Last edited:

Fishersjohn48

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Feb 19, 2009
    Fishers
    Consider going to the Indiana Gun Club and trying out several different guns. They usually have a good selection of used guns in various price ranges and you can actually shoot most of them to give you a true feel for what fits you.

ThatOneKid

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 26, 2014
    Batesville
    Used Beretta or Browning under $1k will be worn, but reliable, good shooter and reliable. Emphasis on reliable. Good balance and design.

You said sporting clays so I assume you mean sporting clays and not backyard stuff at a friend's farm.

To answer your question, they are not simple and high volume shooting is hard on a cheap O/U and the shooter. You see grasshopper you actually WANT a heavier gun. This is a gun you shoot a lot and carry a little. Direct opposite of a field gun. So today's cheap O/U's are cheap and light. You will feel it and wish you had bought a semi auto instead.

After 300-400 rounds in a few hours with one you will also wish you had used lighter loads.

This is the exact route I went with my trap gun. Bought a used BT99 from a buddy, and couldn't be happier. The heaver, the longer you can shoot it.
    Before I had my BT99, I had a like new field grade Citori. Sold it the next week.

451_Detonics

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    North Central Indiana
    Valmet/Tikka 412s and 512s are great shotguns that are often available well under a 1000 used. I own two currently, one set up as a double rifle in 9.3X74R which is close to a 375 H&H load...it has held up great with many rounds sent downrange through it...I know these guns are reliable. And, I think, good looking as well.

jimbo-indy

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    N.W. Indy
    I went with the Stoeger Condor Competition about 4 years ago. Had a couple of QC problems that I fixed at home, nothing big. I did remove the ejector springs (very easy) since I use it for trap only. It's not a lightweight and has 30" ported barrels, standard choke tubes and adjustable comb stock. A few rounds with the pattern board got it shooting where I look with a high point of impact (for trap). If I miss, it is my fault, not the gun. Action was stiff at first but is starting to loosen up now, after about 5000 rounds. Out the door at Dick's for $610. Now they are offering a single barrel trap gun (The Grand) and also a Condor Competition set with 12 and 20 gauge barrels. It's not a Barretta, Browning or such but I don't cry if it gets a scratch and have more money left over for black powder guns.

KJQ6945

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2012
    Texas
    Used guns are out there, you just have to be in the right place at the right time. If Sporting Clays is your game, hang out at the range and get to know the regulars. The guns will find you.
    My first Citori was referred to as the "Duck Gun". Everybody at the club had owned it, and it was ugly, but I loved it. It looked like it been used as an oar more than a couple of times.
    I've probably had 10 since that gun, but it will always be the first. Find a GOOD used gun as opposed to buying a cheap used one. You'll understand why later. Good luck.

GChambers

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2015
    Fishers

Yes, Sporting Clays.

I can understand why I would want a heavier gun. Of course, not heavy for the sake of being heavy but strong and sturdy.

I definitely felt the difference between different loads. Shot a lot of lighter loads then a few rounds of Remington Premiere Nitro Sporting Clays. HUGE difference!

After checking, it turns out the gun I shot Saturday and really liked was a Browning Citori GTI. Also shot a Winchester 101. I think I'd be pretty happy for either of those to start. Put about 50 rounds through the Browning and a few through the Winchester.

Thanks everyone for the help. It's greatly appreciated.

GChambers

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2015
    Fishers
    Used guns are out there, you just have to be in the right place at the right time. If Sporting Clays is your game, hang out at the range and get to know the regulars. The guns will find you.
    My first Citori was referred to as the "Duck Gun". Everybody at the club had owned it, and it was ugly, but I loved it. It looked like it been used as an oar more than a couple of times.
    I've probably had 10 since that gun, but it will always be the first. Find a GOOD used gun as opposed to buying a cheap used one. You'll understand why later. Good luck.

Stopped by Indiana Gun Club yesterday for a few minutes. It was extremely busy so I didn't really make any progress. I like the idea of buying a GOOD used gun as opposed to an affordable new gun. That's the route I'll probably take. Turns out there are a few on Arms List and there was quite a selection there yesterday.

chef1231

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Apr 23, 2014
    NWI
    I am also in the market for a O/U and am pretty sure I decided on the 828U but I started out my shopping with the Weatherby Orion, Cabals sells them for just under $900 and seems to be a nice shotgun.

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    I am also in the market for a O/U and am pretty sure I decided on the 828U but I started out my shopping with the Weatherby Orion, Cabals sells them for just under $900 and seems to be a nice shotgun.

If you do buy the 828U please post your thoughts! I am dying to shoot one!

98cirrus

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 4, 2009
    Goshen
    Lots of Used Berettas out there. I bought a basic blued ONYX model from an acquaintance for 700$. It had all the choke tubes i needed. It wasn't perfect but it hadn't been shot that much. My son in law uses it when we hit the clays range and does fine.. (Idid add the best recoil pad i could find because it's a tad light.) I also heard that Savage had Rossini (Italy) make some over unders for them back about 10 15 years ago? They bring about 8-1200$, but you might find one of those. You would have to do a little research, but that's the one i would look for. Not certain they are available in 12 ga though. I agree that regular shooters of sporting clays like the swing of heavier guns, but the nice heavy ones usually have a higher price tag.

fastwally

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    Peru
    Find a nice used Browning BT99 combo and shoot it, you will forget about the over and under. I had several Browning Citori's until I found the BT99.

Top Bottom